Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

2006 Mazda MX-5

13 posts in this topic

I love that gray and reddish-brown color scheme... one of the car mags had interior photos in that color. It's very similar to a color scheme that Audi has used with the TT and BMW with the 3-series. Edited by moltar

The grey looks drab to my eye- perhaps in person it's better. What is the point of that vent window? Might as well be non-functional- it's not large enough to accomplish anything. Good thing the giant sideview mostly hides it. Also appears that the 'mitten dent' behind the door handle is very narrow. I cannot believe this is a new car- looks exactly the same as the old one. I cannot imagine this is going to reignite miata sales in the face of the Solstice and the Sky.

The grey looks drab to my eye- perhaps in person it's better.

What is the point of that vent window? Might as well be non-functional- it's not large enough to accomplish anything. Good thing the giant sideview mostly hides it. Also appears that the 'mitten dent' behind the door handle is very narrow.

I cannot believe this is a new car- looks exactly the same as the old one. I cannot imagine this is going to reignite miata sales in the face of the Solstice and the Sky.

Continuity...it looks similar..but not exactly the same as the previous car..it has evolved over 3 generations. I hope the Solstice and Sky do well, but the Miata has several advantages..... an established enthusiast base, nearly 400 lbs lighter, an available 6 speed manual, more trunk space, high quality interior materials, etc... it should be interesting to see how the Solstice does against it.

The mazda's 6-spd is of no advantage because the 6-spd tested in the Solstice did not improve performance any behind the Ecotec. If anything, the greater cost & complexity of a 6-spd is a disadvantage once performance is out of the equation.
Mazda's weight advantage is partially offset by lower power output.
Has an interior quality advantage been documented yet?
And the enthusiast base will certainly come for the Solstice; the machine is only just being driven off trucks as I type. Undoubtedly mazda's enthusaist following has waned in step with it's declining popularity.
Continuity is well & good when you're the only game in town, but as that's no longer the case, you need to shout a bit to make yourself heard anymore. Unless side-by-side with an older one, this "redesign" is not going to pull in new buyers; I believe 'continuity' is going to come off as 'dated' to most.

It seems less "cheap" looking than the old Miata to me. Maybe its the surround around the windshield or bigger wheels.
Posted Image

I like how the top works/clean look without a tonneau to worry about.

The Miata had it to themselves for a long time. The orignial was very nice and this is even nicer. It's not a dramatic design, but perfectly acceptable although I prefer Solstice and Sky. The only question is why they did that little break in the side glass. The strangest thing.

i think if Mazda revised this ugly new front end, then they wouldn't lose so many style points to the Solstice. The Solstice quite honestly could possibly be the best looking American car in the last 20 years or so? anybody wanna chime in on that? I loved the 95 Aurora, but I think the Solstice even goes another step beyond that.

I don't think you necessarily need to limit your praise to "American".

Esthetics, beauty, anything of that sort is subjective and each has their own tastes. But I have to say, the Pontiac Solstice is beautiful in any language. Didn't the designer of this car leave Pontiac and is now working at Mazda?

The Solstice quite honestly could possibly be the best looking American car in the last 20 years or so?  anybody wanna chime in on that?  I loved the 95 Aurora, but I think the Solstice even goes another step beyond that.

[post="8406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

By the time the Aurora debuted, there were alot of other smoother, rounded cars like the Mazda 929, Lexus ES300, and the Lincoln Mark VIII. But no other car had the detailing Aurora did - the wraparound backlight, gentle 'hips' over the rear wheels, subtle bulges and recesses along the sides, door-mounted rearview mirror pods, and frameless windows. The sedan bodystyle also prevented it from looking gangly like the Riviera did. Across a parking lot, an aforementioned car may look almost quite as sleek, but up close, in silhouette, and from a multitude of angles, nothing was the Aurora. And with the horrendous level of chunk being designed into cars like the 300 and Five Hundred, nothing will ever look like that again. Easily the sleekest production car of the 1990s.

Thanks to hydroforming, the Solstice is alot like that, but as you said, to a new level. Its tight, curvaceous, astoundingly lovely from every angle. The front is gorgeous, no, wait, so are the flanks, but wait, the side profile is perfect, but wait, take an elevated glance from the rear. There is nary a bad angle on this car that I've seen in photographs. I can hardly wait to see it in person.

Truly a great design...not just 'American'...but a great design.

The Solstice is one of those rare autos that is gorgeous from every angle. The same can't be said for the MX-5. It's ok, but not in the same category, visually. Edited by HarleyEarl

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0