Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Navigator Grill tweaked

45 posts in this topic

The word from BON:

Hey Gang!

My source at the Wayne Truck Assembly plant says that the ugly chrome strip on the front of the Navigator hood has gone the way of the dodo bird. Hopefully it was the cacaphony of boos and hisses online that helped persuade Ford to make that decision.

There may be another problem now however. Supposedly the part of the grille that was below the chrome section now needs to be painted, and that part's material changes the color of the paint. This means that there's basically a paint matching problem as it stands right now.

I'm sure that engineering will figure something out as a fix for this. Maybe priming the part in some fashion?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

Wow...an automaker actually reacted to negative responses BEFORE even having the real intro.

I wonder what other part of the grille they're talking about with a paint issue...the only other thing below that top strip is the main grille, which I couldn't imagine they'd want to paint black.

I wonder what other part of the grille they're talking about with a paint issue...the only other thing below that top strip is the main grille, which I couldn't imagine they'd want to paint black.

I think by 'below' he means 'under,' i.e. what the strip was dimensionally on top of and he's talking about it being primed and paint to match the exterior, just in that pic the color happens to be black.

It's still pretty bad...

I think if the whole thing was brushed aluminum or something not quite so shiny as chrome (and it still had the top part) it would look a lot better.

Guest Josh

I wish they would have produced it as is. But, bet what our members said helped Ford decide this, I'm confident of that.

Now, this vehicle still stands out, I'm interested in seeing how it does in a market place that lacks well, balls.

I think that the chrome strip should be an option...I liked it. If they fix anything it should be the interior. It looks so plain now.

just curious,  why don't they take pics of cars at eyelevel? would it really make it look to bland?

Agreed. It really changes the presence of a car, often for the better.

History proves that tryinging to out-glitz Cadillac does not work. Who can forget one of Lincolns first failed tries?

Posted Image

Only desperate men put tail fins on the rear bumper of cars and chrome bars in the headlights of SUVs.

Concave fenders. Damn, Lincoln, seriously.

Dear God, I'm losing brain cells looking at it. Its like someone took a Turnpike Cruiser and stuck it in a microwave...then beat the $h! out of it.

Only desperate men put tail fins on the rear bumper of cars

Lincoln wasn't the only automaker to put fins on the rear bumper... you forgot the 1961-1962 Cadillacs.

Posted Image

A great wallpaper-worthy pic here:

http://www.plan59.com/images/JPGs/cad6101a.jpg

Oh, and the above pic sans the chrome strip on the hood looks just like a SuperDuty. Bad Ford, bad.

Although the new front end looks better without that god-awful chrome strip, one glaring fact remains: The Navigator is still sitting on an out of date platform and fuel economy still leaves a lot to be desired. I think that's the main reason the new Tahoe is doing well in the marketplace and why the Yukon and Escalade will do well. Better driving dynamics, lower center of gravity, more then adequate horsepower, aerodynamic styling, and class leading MPG.

Of course, Ford execs probably felt the full size SUV market was dying, so why bother?

merely cosmetic.

it's like giving the ugliest girl at prom some fake eyelashes,

wow, it does nothing.

I can't wait to see one in traffic, and bust out laughing

It is. It's based off the original Expedition platform which is essentially the previous F-150 platform. If that's not old and outdated.. I don't know what is.

Edited by Cadillacfan

It is.  It's based off the original Expedition platform which is essentially the previous F-150 platform.  If that's not old and outdated.. I don't know what is.

You are wrong. The new Navigator (as well as the Expedition) moved to the current F-150 platform.

Then why does it look exactly the same in terms of size. Can you back this up with proof?

update: I just checked the original Edmunds article: It says "Major chassis enhancements include larger brakes, a stiffer frame, and an all-new independent rear suspension"

It clearly states that it's the same platform with upgrades.article

moving on... while the removal of the Navigator makes the vehicle better looking, it's still the same old Navigator + a few upgrades.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Wrong. Edmunds is wrong. The Navigator and Expedition moved to the F-150 platform. Read the original thread for when the new Expedition debuted, all the info is there from reliable insiders and sources.

Can you post it.

I find that hard to believe since the vehicles only show slight design tweaks in the front and rear while the side profiles look almost exactly the same.

:banghead: Lincoln can't do anything to stop the onslaught of the GMT-900's. They can polish a turd or plate it with gold, but it's still a turd. GM is all ready to wipe the floor with the Gator, it's only a matter of time.

The Navi has played second fiddle to the Slade and even the Tahoe and Yukon since inception. Face it Ford, you guys couldn't design a Slade competitor if your lives depended on it :deadhorse: This thing wouldn't even be competitive with a Geo if that brand was still around... :P

Can you post it.

I find that hard to believe since the vehicles only show slight design tweaks in the front and rear while the side profiles look almost exactly the same.

I could, though I don't see why you cannot do a search for it yourself.

EDIT: AH-HA has once again deleted all of his posts :rolleyes: Well, the information is still there, that the Expedition/Navigator received a heavy refresh and are now on the F150's platform.

Edited by Croc

Wouldn't that be considered a redesign? A refresh would be an upgrade of the current platform (i.e. the Impala) A redesign would be considered the new Tahoe or the upcoming Silverado.

I did look and I couldn't find anything that stated this fact. The deletion of Ah-ha's post may have something to do with that.

I was hoping you would have a specific post or thread.

Edit: Well, you appear to be right. Shame on Edmunds to leave such a huge error in an article that's over a month old.

Thank you for correcting me. Looks like I won't be reading from Edmunds again.

Although, isn't this the same source that said the new Tahoe would be a refresh of the last gen platform instead of the new one? Interesting if true.

Even though this is a relatively new platform, they could've done a lot more to change it's appearance and improve fuel economy.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this