Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Spy Photos: 2007 Mercury Montego

Yeah... I'm not seeing the real point of this car here.

Simple: It's a Ford 500...for women. (For the record, every Montego I've seen on the road has been driven by a woman.)

Well, the car itself is still terrific, and if they just get rid of the too-bubbly nose (that looks a lot like the pumpkin-faced '00-05 Deville by the way...), and add the 3.5L to make all the people who say it's underpowered (it isn't) shut up.

The middle was always fine, just as long as the front and rear are more crisply and expressively styled like the Milan/Mountaineer, it should do well. The refinement, quality, features, and even economy are already there.

I don't know about all the negativity...the Montego has already proven to be a competent car, and this refresh will only make it crisper and more desirable to those that were originally turned away by the lack of a higher performance V6. It's a mid-cycle refresh anyway...it's not like they're going to give it all new sheet metal after only being on the market for 2 years.

Well, the car itself is still terrific, and if they just get rid of the too-bubbly nose (that looks a lot like the pumpkin-faced '00-05 Deville by the way...), and add the 3.5L to make all the people who say it's underpowered (it isn't) shut up.

The middle was always fine, just as long as the front and rear are more crisply and expressively styled like the Milan/Mountaineer, it should do well.  The refinement, quality, features, and even economy are already there.

good post. the rear needs the most work. the tailight desgin and trunk lid on the current version is just wrong. fix the front and rear and add the durtec 35 and things will go quite well. if they do that I can guarantee at least a 50% increase in 500/MTGO sales.

as an owner its not so much the lack of power as much as it at low speeds the buzziness and coarseness in the powertrain. A fatal flaw and an inexcusable one, but most of the time the car is pretty zippy. And its always willing to rev. i look forward to the duratec 35.

Edited by regfootball

What happened to the bodyside molding? Is this yet another in the tiresome bland naked side door look that every stinking car company is copying. What are they going to decontent next the door handles? I'm going to love seeing these cheap looking cars in a few years with dimples/dents and door jams on these naked doors. Maybe people will start to notice and bitch to the damned car companies that keep taking things away like this and raising the prices.

I think this is a good baby step and something that was needed. The big brother look to the Milan will help.

I believe that the primary benefit, besides traction, for FWD is the potential for a roomier interior. I prefer the Five Hundred/Montego to GM's larger FWD sedans (with the exception of the interesting V8 powered W bodies) because they were clearly designed to maximize interior and cargo room for their size. GM's large FWD sedans are probably no roomier than they would have been had they been RWD and the same size. However, a higher performance RWD sedan would have been more successful for Ford than the Five Hundred.

How much is Ford spending on these rapid-fire refreshes?

Probably about as much as GM did to refresh the ugly nose on the Malibu to give it better looks and a better crash result.

I'd rather see GM and Ford react quickly, than have the product sit around.

Mark

Hi. My name is Ford Motor Company and I have Attention Deficet Hyper...oooh! Chrome grille!

We might not be building interesting cars here at Ford Motor Co.

BUT damned if we don't change the grille, headlights, and change the name every year to make it SEEM interesting!

Probably about as much as GM did to refresh the ugly nose on the Malibu to give it better looks and a better crash result.

I don't think so, that was just a new bumper. This is a new front end with new headlights, bumper, and hood.

How much is Ford spending on these rapid-fire refreshes?

Not enough or WAY TOO MUCH depending on your perspective. :spin:

What happened to the bodyside molding? Is this yet another in the tiresome bland naked side door look that every stinking car company is copying. What are they going to decontent next the door handles? I'm going to love seeing these cheap looking cars in a few years with dimples/dents and door jams on these naked doors. Maybe people will start to notice and bitch to the damned car companies that keep taking things away like this and raising the prices.

its actually a running change made to address some issues some folks have been having with the lower part of the car and some paint chipping, so they just made the running change on the assembly line as well. There is a TSB out on the issue. As far as the looks go, I like the change, it lowers the car and makes it look sleeker, almost like a bit of a ground effects package, but obviously not having the side moldings on the beltline leaves one open to potential damage.

chalk part of it up to poor design in that aspect.

Edited by regfootball

I believe that the primary benefit, besides traction, for FWD is the potential for a roomier interior.  I prefer the Five Hundred/Montego to GM's larger FWD sedans (with the exception of the interesting V8 powered W bodies) because they were clearly designed to maximize interior and cargo room for their size.  GM's large FWD sedans are probably no roomier than they would have been had they been RWD and the same size.  However, a higher performance RWD sedan would have been more successful for Ford than the Five Hundred.

disagree totally. when the refresh and new engine hit, sales will soar. The AWD option alone has nabbed quite a few new Ford customers. The interior space is a godsend. I had almost forgotten what a car with real space inside is like. GM doesn't offer any car that can touch this thing for spread out room, aside from the DTS.

I'd rather see GM and Ford react quickly, than have the product sit around.

Mark

this is the 21st century. soon, cars will be like consumer electronics. New or refreshed models will become the norm every 12-24 months. There are so many choices out there that the only way to keep a marketing buzz and consumer interest is constant revisions and publicity. Any car unchanged beyond three years will be perceived as a complete relic.

case in point, in my eyes, the Fusion and Milan already look tired and old.

Cars like the current Accord are in dire need of a refresh (more than just the copied taillights).

Edited by regfootball

At least Ford is able to recognize that they have a problem with a vehicle, and are able to do a turnaround in a year.  GM's refresh takes multiple years!

< cough >

MALIBU      :hissyfit:

Umm... The Montego debuted as a 2005... it's getting a refresh for 2007. The Malibu debuted as a 2004, and got a refresh for 2006.

Umm... The Montego debuted as a 2005... it's getting a refresh for 2007. The Malibu debuted as a 2004, and got a refresh for 2006.

See there's at least hope for the 500/Monetgo...give them a nicer front end and tweak the rear and they'll look pretty good. The Malibu is just fugly...there's no hope for that thing unless there redo all the sheetmetal.

How's this for an idea? Keep the larger of the 2 coming Lincoln D3 sedans, drop the Montego, incorporate slight Messenger styling cues onto the MKS, and voila, you have a differentiated Mercury large FWD/AWD sedan! Duratec 35 3.5-liter DOHC 270hp (yes, a higher output version than the 35 coming out)V-6 and 4.4-liter DOHC Yamaha 310hp V-8 engines with the 6-speed OD electronic automatic transmission. If they really wanted to, as if say, Ford were to drop and not redesign the Panthers, give it split bench (Luxury trim-velour or leather) or bucket (Premier/LTS) seats. $27,000-35,000, all with front or all-wheel-drive. Anybody like that idea?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook