Don't buy a G6 with a Panoramic Sunroof!

You guys should know what a backer of GM I am. I have never owned anything but. Christ, I started this site 6 years ago to defend them in the media. But they have really pissed me off now.

Here's a warning to anyone looking at purchasing a G6, DO NOT BUY THE PANORAMIC SUNROOF UNLESS YOU LIKE SQUEAKS, RATTLES AND OTHER ANNOYING NOISES.

GM knows there is a problem, I have found two TSBs about the sunroof. I called Pontiac Owner Care and they couldn't find any TSBs (I had to, of course, find them on my own on the internet - Thanks Flat Rate Tech) so they are useless. Once I had the TSB numbers, I called the dealer to make sure they knew what they were and scheduled an appointment to have it fixed - though many others on the internet seem to still have the problem after many trips to the dealership.

They had the car for about a half a day, which I can't believe that, accound to the TSB, that was enough time to take apart the whole interior, the entire sunroof, place these washers to stop the squeaking and put everything back together again.

Needless to say, all the squeaks, rattles and noises are still there, and now THERE IS A NEW ONE, just above the driver's head so it is more annoying than ever.

I called the dealership yesterday (Perrine Pontiac in Cranbury NJ) and said I don't want my car to be used as a test subject to TRY to fix the problem. I want GM to tell the service people HOW to fix it and service to actualy DO IT. Otherwise I want this car taken away and replaced with the same G6, just with a regular sunroof.

Hint to GM - DON'T PISS OFF YOUR LOYAL FAN-BASE. At this point in time, we're all you got. Don't bring to market a new item without testing it for squeaks. After a few years of testing, I'm sure this thing rattled like crazy, but you brought it to market anyway. I could of saved $1000 and many headaches if I didn't get the EVIL Panoramic Sunroof.

And if anyone from GM is listening - fix this - because there are a lot of complaints on the internet. Drop me a line at [email protected] if you have any ideas or know of a local central NJ dealership that has SUCCESSFULY fixed this problem instead of making it worse.

That really sucks, Walt. Remember when the G6 first debuted, and Mercedes execs joked that it would probably break all the time and rattle a lot? Personally, I never really understood that sunroof. It looks weird when it's opened and it must have been expensive to develop and produce. I really hope they fix the problem by the time the Aura goes into production.

The first time I saw that sunroof I wondered what the long-term noise issues would be. Didn't think to worry about short term.

Next up- leaks...?? <_<

2006 - 4 months old.  It did not squeak for the first two months - then all hell broke loose.

I think squeaks and creaks are an inherent G6 problem.

I had a GTP sedan with the normal sunroof as a rental car, with about 14K miles on it, and it had so many creaks, groans, and squeaks in it, it was embarrassing.....EVEN considering rental cars are typically driven hard.

The suspension felt loose over bumps and the doors would audibly groan and creak when, say, turning from a straight and level road into a driveway that slopes up....so when you are flexing the body.....

It was pretty bad....

we fix them here - no problem - call GM customer cares - you have bunch of retards working on your car - flat rate freddy looking for the next brake job !!

thats an awesome thing to hear... kudos to you!

i love it when a company will take the warrenty burdon of a pissed customer... some dealerships really dont want to do it...

Good news: You didn't get stuck with a Ford... Wanna talk issues? I'll give you stories that will make you cringe. FMC only WISHES they had sunroof issues.

Even worse is Chrysler. You can set your watch to those things breaking. :angry:

My G6 has none of the issues with the panorama roof. It is an 05 that I drive for my company vehicle. I feel bad for the morons who paid too much for their 3-series when they could have bought an awesome G6 for less money and got beter quality and reliability.

And cough*my car is will leave a Bimmer in the dust*cough.

Just don't tell the media... :P

Wow.  That sucks.  I guess that's what happens when GM uses technology that they've never used before.

Still, it sounds like they're not prepared for problems as well as they should be.

personally i'd rather have a problem from a "lets try something new, lets see if people like it" then "lets cut some costs on the engine, people will be happier their car will be 50$ cheaper!"

My G6 has none of the issues with the panorama roof. It is an 05 that I drive for my company vehicle. I feel bad for the morons who paid too much for their 3-series when they could have bought an awesome G6 for less money and got beter quality and reliability.

Wow... I'm interested in working for your company :D

As far as saying how Mercedes execs were laughing, they have a pano roof on the B-Class as well.

As far as saying how Mercedes execs were laughing, they have a pano roof on the B-Class as well.

There was also a similar one available on the 1st gen. M-class.....

The panaramic has been an issue since intro (we have had 'em on the lot as used vehicles.) I'd avoid the G6 anyway, but I'd especially avoid one with an enormous hole in the roof...(with all due respect to those who own/drive one, there are better choices out there for your money.)

Edited by enzl

Well, I can't give the name of the dealership I work for, but I fought to get the company car and I wanted a G6 sedan. So in the agreement, I was given a 3 year lease on a white G6 GT. So far, I love it. And luckily the dealership I work for came in handy when the front wheel bearings were bad :( . That may have been because I drive the hell out of it though :P Got it fixed for nothing. :ohyeah:

Today my head unit and AC fan motor are being replaced, but I am looking to upgrade the sound anyways. Any suggestions?

The panaramic has been an issue since intro (we have had 'em on the lot as used vehicles.) I'd avoid the G6 anyway, but I'd especially avoid one with an enormous hole in the roof...(with all due respect to those who own/drive one, there are better choices out there for your money.)

No way man. The G6 rocks. There is nothing on the market I would buy right now that could match the quality and performance of this Pontiac. My only other choice was a Grand Prix GXP but I couldn't get them to flip for the bill.

No way man. The G6 rocks. There is nothing on the market I would buy right now that could match the quality and performance of this Pontiac. My only other choice was a Grand Prix GXP but I couldn't get them to flip for the bill.

Different strokes for different folks..I'm glad you love it...I'm just not a fan....of course, I don't have to choose one car for a term, so I guess I'm lucky, in that respect. My experience with G6's (while limited) has been kinda negative, as the examples we've had were either rentals or fully loaded repo's, both of which probably had hard lives...I think GM has better product in other classes, while the G6 is more of an also-ran in its segment. I'd much rather be driving an Accord, Fusion/Milan or updated Altima or a 3yr. old 3 series, but that's just my opinion....

For the price I got my G6, maybe to beat it I need to go to a Malibu.

If you're saying "money" wise, I'm pretty sure the G6 undercuts most, if not all, of its competitors.

I bought a G6, and I have no regrets at all.

For the price I got my G6, maybe to beat it I need to go to a Malibu.

If you're saying "money" wise, I'm pretty sure the G6 undercuts most, if not all, of its competitors.

I bought a G6, and I have no regrets at all.

Like I said, different strokes....It's your money, I hope you love the car....

I drive 100's of cars a year, some for weeks at a time...I have the opportunity that most car nuts dream about, so it's easier for me to cherry pick the best of them. I just don't think the G6 is a better product than the ones I mentioned above...although I have always found something interesting about every vehicle I get to drive and there's always a ton of good ideas in even a bad product, IMO.

Well, I can't give the name of the dealership I work for, but I fought to get the company car and I wanted a G6 sedan. So in the agreement, I was given a 3 year lease on a white G6 GT. So far, I love it. And luckily the dealership I work for came in handy when the front wheel bearings were bad  :( . That may have been because I drive the hell out of it though  :P Got it fixed for nothing.  :ohyeah:

Today my head unit and AC fan motor are being replaced, but I am looking to upgrade the sound anyways. Any suggestions?

There is nothing on the market I would buy right now that could match the quality and performance of this Pontiac.

What exactly is you definition of "quality"? Three major problems (and in such a short time) sounds more like "lemon" than "quality" to me.

The first G6 i got in had one and I though how long till it breaks and how soon till it rattles.

Pontiac can always change it to a canvas roof like GM used on the second gen Nova's. They are rare today since they all leaked and rotted the floors out.

Anyway the G6 roof looked like a neat idea that should have been passed up like the folding roof on the Regal a few years back.

The roof would be easy to fix by just deleating the option next year.

Edited by hyperv6

the larger roof opening has always been a good concept in my mind, but aesthetically it looks retarded open, and the sunroof does not retract completely leaving a complete open space a la real sunroofs.

Most real sunroofs don't do that anyway. I personally hate the astroroofs that slide up and out...looks goofy as hell.

Most real sunroofs don't do that anyway. I personally hate the astroroofs that slide up and out...looks goofy as hell.

.....and you get MAJOR windnoise at highway speeds with it open.....as I found out in a recent GM rental car ("old" Impala LS I believe) with the "astroroof."

I feel bad for the morons who paid too much for their 3-series when they could have bought an awesome G6 for less money and got beter quality and reliability.

And cough*my car is will leave a Bimmer in the dust*cough.

Just don't tell the media... :P

What ARE you smoking?

A base, automatic 325i will out-accelerate a G6 GT.....and stick a 6-speed in it, and it will leave behind even a manual-tranny G6 GTP......(from C&D magazine road test numbers.)

See my previous post on this thread about a GTP rental car before you talk about the Pontiac's better "quality and reliability."

What ARE you smoking?

A base, automatic 325i will out-accelerate a G6 GT.....and stick a 6-speed in it, and it will leave behind even a manual-tranny G6 GTP......(from C&D magazine road test numbers.)

See my previous post on this thread about a GTP rental car before you talk about the Pontiac's better "quality and reliability."

The GTP has 240hp and 241 lb/ft torque and weighs in at 3428 lbs. The 325i has 215hp and 185 lb/ft of torque and weighs in at 3285.

In the real world there's at least a $10,000 difference between the two. And no matter what Car and Driver says, the power/weight ratios make them look like liars. At the very least, there's probably no real difference to the driver in real world driving.

The real difference however, as with all BMWs compared to lesser cars, is the snob factor. There is a huge level of envy with BMW ownership. There is none with a Pontiac.

I see BMWs at their worst, I guess, when they come in wrecked. I don't see anything special about them. Their owners definitely don't treat them any different than they would a Chevrolet. I have heard mucho horror stories about electrical gremlins though. They do run well, and drive nice. Ehh.

In the real world there's at least a $10,000 difference between the two.  And no matter what Car and Driver says, the power/weight ratios make them look like liars.  At the very least, there's probably no real difference to the driver in real world driving.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking. In the real world, BMW is an overrated joke. For years people have been suckered by the blue and white propeller thinking it is gods gift to cardom. Guess what, it's not and I WILL state that the G6 is a superior car in every way. Just that you will never read about it because the Auto rags are so wrapped up in their lust for anything European and hatred for domestics. These people will learn when they get there tails handed to them by our Pontiacs.

The GTP has 240hp and 241 lb/ft torque and weighs in at 3428 lbs.  The 325i has 215hp and 185 lb/ft of torque and weighs in at 3285.

In the real world there's at least a $10,000 difference between the two.  And no matter what Car and Driver says, the power/weight ratios make them look like liars.  At the very least, there's probably no real difference to the driver in real world driving.

The real difference however, as with all BMWs compared to lesser cars, is the snob factor.  There is a huge level of envy with BMW ownership.  There is none with a Pontiac.

The BMW puts the power to the groung much better through its rear wheels, and everything from the gear spacing, to the clutch takeup, to the clutch feel, to the axle ratio....is optimal for smooth and fast driving. That's the epitome of BMW. Drive one and you'll understand.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking. In the real world, BMW is an overrated joke. For years people have been suckered by the blue and white propeller thinking it is gods gift to cardom. Guess what, it's not and I WILL state that the G6 is a superior car in every way. Just that you will never read about it because the Auto rags are so wrapped up in their lust for anything European and hatred for domestics. These people will learn when they get there tails handed to them by our Pontiacs.

I try not to lurk and then jump into topics, but, you've got to be kidding....BMW's are overrated.....but comparing them to ANY current Pontiac G6 is just not realistic. The BMW mystique may not justify the Dollar v. Value relationship, (in your opinion) but the phrase 'apples to oranges' applies in this case.

Listen, when Pontiacs are beating Hondas or Toyotas on a regular basis, then we can talk about taking on BMW. Until then, I hope you enjoy your car, but, please, some rational argument should be required here!

The GTP has 240hp and 241 lb/ft torque and weighs in at 3428 lbs.  The 325i has 215hp and 185 lb/ft of torque and weighs in at 3285.

The real difference however, as with all BMWs compared to lesser cars, is the snob factor.  There is a huge level of envy with BMW ownership.  There is none with a Pontiac.

His point was that the G6 GT could "smoke" a BMW 3-Series....which is far from the truth....

That's all I was responding to....I wasn't debating price or snob factor....

C&D got a 6-speed manual 325i (215hp) to 60mph in 6.1secs. An automatic G6 GT was tested by them at 7.9secs 0-60.

BMW quotes an automatic 325i at 7.1secs 0-60 from what I remember.....and BMW is usually a bit conservative (compared to C&D test numbers.)

The BMW puts the power to the groung much better through its rear wheels, and everything from the gear spacing, to the clutch takeup, to the clutch feel, to the axle ratio....is optimal for smooth and fast driving. That's the epitome of BMW. Drive one and you'll understand.

Yes, you can't judge a BMW by simply performance numbers..it's all about the total driving experience...infinitely more enjoyable than a pedestrian FWD model, IMHO...

As far as the car, my wife and I love it.  I just need the dealership (and Pontiac) to take ownership of the problem and fix it.  Otherwise it is a great car.  If it had the basic sunroof, I'm sure I'd have no complaints.

Don't be so sure. My CTS has some squeeks in the sunroof..... but every car I've had with a sunroof squeeks.