2006 Chevrolet

HarleyEarl

*sighs*

I really want to write something good about this....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

You know, the more I see this car the more it grows on me! I LOVE the front end and the rear with the tall spoiler looks great too... The side though, meh, it's alright I guess. I think, given the budget that they were working with, they did a pretty good job of making the car much more relevant and less cartoonish. The wheels look great, especially the top 2 options! I hope the Impala either has or gets these options. Hopefully, we can pick up a few sales with this iteration. P.S. The GM badge and SS badge together look too cluttered.

I wish they had at least changed the tailights on this car, they have always been a weak area...but, I like this car. I saw a black one recently with incredible big chrome wheels and it was smashing. I agree about that GM badge. It makes GM cars look cluttered when they have another badge near by. They should put the General Motors logo on the rear of cars if they want to get real recognition...more visible there.

Harley, I usually find your taste of cars impeccable, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. That MC is a good example of what can be done to this design, however, I can't get over the cartoonish overhangs and that rear design, the awkwardness of the C-pillar (not necessarily from that angle). [What's up with the Chevy badge in the lower grille?] That face in the rear has a mustache and it has a shocked expression (I know that's nitpicking, and overall the rear is at least interesting to look at). I do love its low and wide stance. Edited by turbo200

Hey turbo200, thanks for that compliment....maybe 'beautiful' was waxing too poetic in describing this MC...what I'm saying is although the Monte Carlo is not perfect, when tweaked a bit, it can have real presence. I have seen similar on the street and I'm telling you, they are head turners. It does have a unique character, without a doubt...I would rather have that then beautifully bland.

I actually didn't mind the '00-'05 Monte Carlo as much. I even genuinely like the bowtie lights and vertical taillights. The only part I don't really like are the character lines on the side....they need to be made into actual creases in the body to avoid a cartoony look. The '06 Monte is growing a little on me, especially in the pic below, but here's what would make it even better:

-MC crest...an absolute must
-More aggressive headlights...right now they are too big and too generic
-Larger grille...sharing a grille with the Impala is a no-no...I thought the last Lumicarlo would be the end of that
-Get some new rims...the SS rims seem too flat

Posted Image

So... am I the only one that really likes the entire car?

Nope.

Just as with the '95-'99s, I like the body style ... just not a Monte Carlo. Still needs RWD and, for the '06, the MC Knight Crest/Shield emblem. The '00-'05s at least had the emblem. The '95-'99s need that (emblem and RWD) plus the bodylines of some sort.

*shakes head*

2006 Nascar Monte Carlo introduction:
Posted Image

GM should just take that car and make it street legal and put that into produciton B)

Probly not cost effective but hey.. then It'd have the 2 major gripes the MC has lacked

I actually didn't mind the '00-'05 Monte Carlo as much.  I even genuinely like the bowtie lights and vertical taillights.  The only part I don't really like are the character lines on the side....they need to be made into actual creases in the body to avoid a cartoony look.  The '06 Monte is growing a little on me, especially in the pic below, but here's what would make it even better:

-MC crest...an absolute must
-More aggressive headlights...right now they are too big and too generic
-Larger grille...sharing a grille with the Impala is a no-no...I thought the last Lumicarlo would be the end of that
-Get some new rims...the SS rims seem too flat

Posted Image

[post="8643"][/post]

I agree 100% about the MC crest. Can't believe they deleted that.
I would also like to see those horrid SS rims go.
And judging by almost every used 05 MC with door dings galore a friggin bodyside molding is a must on a 2 door coupe with those long doors. I mean how cheap can they be? And why no wood interior trim? This is a personal LUXURY coupe after all. :rolleyes:

And why no wood interior trim? This is a personal LUXURY coupe after all.

See, I _think_ (or, rather, I want to believe) that this is a situation where we just haven't seen pictures of the wood interior trim.

I noticed on the malibu and the impalas I've seen as of late, the wood trim comes with the tan/neutral interior and the chromish trim comes with the grey/dark interiors. All of the pictures of the '06 monte carlo have been with the dark grey or black interior.... I haven't seen any with the lighter/neutral/tan interior yet.

Thus, my _hunch_ is that the mc does get wood trim ... for the tan interiors....

At least, I hope I am guessing correctly....

Harley, I usually find your taste of cars impeccable, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. That MC is a good example of what can be done to this design, however, I can't get over the cartoonish overhangs and that rear design, the awkwardness of the C-pillar (not necessarily from that angle). [What's up with the Chevy badge in the lower grille?] That face in the rear has a mustache and it has a shocked expression (I know that's nitpicking, and overall the rear is at least interesting to look at). I do love its low and wide stance.

[post="8550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude what is up with people saying overhangs are ugly? What is wrong with overhangs? I think they're much better than none at all!!

I just heard from a Chevy dealer that delivery of the MC is being delayed... he mentioned that the delay might be because of NASCAR regulation related issues.

Anyone else heard of this?

[post="8960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please tell me that's not why. Please.

I just heard from a Chevy dealer that delivery of the MC is being delayed... he mentioned that the delay might be because of NASCAR regulation related issues.

Anyone else heard of this?

*raises eyebrow curiously*

Are you serious?

What on earth could "NASCAR regulation related issues" have to do with releasing the '06 mc? Certainly it does not have to do with which wheels are driving the car...heh.

An interesting development, nonetheless, if it IS true.... Looking forward to learning more about this...heh.

I have been wondering whats going on with the Monte. Here it is Sept 4th and there is no sign of it at all. And no one seems to know when it will arrive. It probably does have something to do with Nascar regulations. Because the 06 Monte interior is really just the 00-05 interior with a splash of silver here and there and the new Impalas guages and floor shifter I really doubt that wood will be offered with the tan.

I agree ... best mc since 1995, but aye.

BTW, on another board, someone posted this news about the '06 mc:

"Chevrolet officials were scrambling this week after the 2006 version of the Monte Carlo did not perform as expected in its first on-track test.

Joe Gibbs Racing took the car to Atlanta Motor Speedway this week and everyone was surprised when it struggled during the test. So GM Racing director Pat Suhy spent much of his time at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend, meeting with NASCAR officials to discuss what they should do.

Suhy said GM will test the car again. NASCAR officials have not yet approved the car for competition.

"I think everyone was a little overconfident and got a little complacent and didn't pay attention to the details when building this car," Suhy said."

Heh...interesting that the '06 mc is delayed because it isn't approved by NASCAR to race....

*shakes head*

All that is saying is that since GM is taking a second look at the car, that NASCAR is awaiting a final production unit to make their decisions for the MC stock car design. It has nothing to do with Nascar not approving GM's design in itself.

BTW, on another board, someone posted this news about the '06 mc:

"Chevrolet officials were scrambling this week after the 2006 version of the Monte Carlo did not perform as expected in its first on-track test.

Joe Gibbs Racing took the car to Atlanta Motor Speedway this week and everyone was surprised when it struggled during the test. So GM Racing director Pat Suhy spent much of his time at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend, meeting with NASCAR officials to discuss what they should do.

Suhy said GM will test the car again. NASCAR officials have not yet approved the car for competition.

"I think everyone was a little overconfident and got a little complacent and didn't pay attention to the details when building this car," Suhy said."

Heh...interesting that the '06 mc is delayed because it isn't approved by NASCAR to race....

*shakes head*

[post="10155"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

so this does confirm what I heard... interesting

This is a bit of an aside, but wanted to show the potential of this car.  This is the best custom Monte I have ever seen.  I love how the mirrors have been chromed...the wheels, the color.  Beautiful car.

Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="8450"][/post]

I'll agree with you HE. I think the car looks nice, although I can do without the quasi-chrome mirrors, and I would lower it. The wheels look excellent though!

That custom front air dam reminds me of this concept:

Posted Image

The 1998 Intimidator concept (Which I liked a lot)

And, BTW AAS, I like the MC as well, just wish it were more of a modern, more nimble sports coupe (Maybe like a coupe the size of the Malibu or something, with turbo-ed V6 engines and AWD--that's my ideal MC)

Not traditional MC, but it would build on the heritage proudly and put Chevrolet in a whole new market with a credible entry that also has a distint history of being a "Personal" or "tailored" offering, not mass appeal.

Thanks for that photo of the MC Concept...I don't remember seeing it.  Very cool.

*gasps*

You don't remember seeing it, HE? Heh...I've seen it ... I've even seen it in person at the MC Nationals (NMCOA). In fact, if I remember correctly, the NMCOA has some pictures of it on their website, too....

The Intimidator concept was V8 and, as far as I know, RWD. Even the fender flares bulged out, instead of being "creased lines" like the 2000+ mcs are....

The Intimidator actually didn't get that much media exposure. It was a cool car though.

*nods*

Yes, yes it was!

I'm surprised it didn't get much media exposure, as HotWheels sold the Intimidator version of the Monte Carlo in late 1999/early 2000 ... I have about 5 of those models ;).

At any rate, sure wish GM/Chevrolet had actually produced this car ... Ah, well.

BTW, the pictures don't do the Intimidator justice ... looks so much better in person ;).