Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Grand Prix TAPShift...

I hate cars that have no clutch but try to pass themselves off as "best-of-both-worlds" semi-manuals.

Weather it's a triptronic Porsche or a GM car like the GP it's always a retarded idea and pretty much useless. In the case of all the cars I've driven the car does whatever it damn well pleases anyway... VW, Audi, DMX.... they all suck.

The last one I drove was a VW Jetta turbo and that was okay but still not worth my time. If I want to hit redline so help me god I'll F***ing hit redline. dont;' shift for me and assume I don't know what I'm doing. <_<

Its fun for a few days, then its just there. You can do half of what manumatics allow you to do with a standard automatic transmission anyway.

Actually... my friend still plays with the manumatic on his Mazda 3. He had his car for longer than mine.

But I do agree it's just a niche thing.

Its fun for a few days, then its just there. You can do half of what manumatics allow you to do with a standard automatic transmission anyway.

Yup... I used to shift my Sunbird, Cougar & Achieva once in a while... and those cars allowed for more control of the gear selection than many of these tap/trip/semi-matics

Actually... my friend still plays with the manumatic on his Mazda 3. He had his car for longer than mine.

But I do agree it's just a niche thing.

I do, too... sometimes I just feel like hovering at 4500 rpm in traffic to hear the engine. And while it isn't particularly fuel efficient, at least on twisty mountain roads, the control and immediate throttle response is very helpful.

The paddles on my GP are great on a curving mountain road and a lot of fun. They are also great for engine braking.

On the other hand around town they are a waste. With only 4 gears and as widly spaced as they are there is not much excitment.

On a six speed I could see more value.

After living with them for 2 yerars they are fun in the right enviroment but I could live with out them easily.

I also like the way they have the Vette paddles set up on the back of the wheel fro down shift. I wish you could up shift too with them. The GP could be a reach if you have short tumbs or small hands. My wife can't reach them well.

...or do others remember Pontiac referring to it as TAC-Shift for a period of time before calling it TAPShift?

IMHO, I think it's incredibly CHEESY for GM to even attempt to label this system at all.....much less "TAPShift." To me, it reeks of "4 Speed Automatic" on the backs of C-body Electras....."Anti-Lock Brakes" on the center caps of Pontiac 6000s......and "Touring Suspension" on the backs of Devilles.

<ugh>

I KNOW, I KNOW......Chrysler got alot of mileage out of "AutoStick" but they were also the first volume manufacturer (Porsche was there also with "Tiptronic") to jump into this technology and I don't think anyone any more cares about "AutoStick."

I don't think anyone else goes about labeling their manumatics.....and CERTAINLY not TM'ing them.....! YES.....GM trademarked "TAPShift"....!!!

IMHO, I think it's incredibly CHEESY for GM to even attempt to label this system at all.....much less "TAPShift."  To me, it reeks of "4 Speed Automatic" on the backs of C-body Electras....."Anti-Lock Brakes" on the center caps of Pontiac 6000s......and "Touring Suspension" on the backs of Devilles.

What about the massive SH-AWD logos on RLs? Big, multicolored 4MOTION labels on Passats? Better, yet TITAN V8? All as lame or lamer. Name a marque that hasn't badged a feature of their car, be it a suspension package, engine size/displacement, or equipment.

I don't think anyone else goes about labeling their manumatics.....and CERTAINLY not TM'ing them.....!  YES.....GM trademarked "TAPShift"....!!!

OMG TEY TOTALY TRADE MARKED TAPSHIFT!!! VW trademarked Tiptronic as well. They and every else who devises a unique name for something would be stupid not to. And you of everyone should know most manufacturers trademark and label their manumatics (Steptronic, SportShift, Shiftronic, E-Shift, SelectShift, and Sport AT are ones that come to mind now).

My real question here is why are you making this such a big issue for the second or third time, especially because a) its not that lame and b) everyone else does it?

What about the massive SH-AWD logos on RLs? Big, multicolored 4MOTION labels on Passats? Better, yet TITAN V8? All as lame or lamer. Name a marque that hasn't badged a feature of their car, be it a suspension package, engine size/displacement, or equipment.

OMG TEY TOTALY TRADE MARKED TAPSHIFT!!! VW trademarked Tiptronic as well. They and every else who devises a unique name for something would be stupid not to. And you of everyone should know most manufacturers trademark and label their manumatics (Steptronic, SportShift, Shiftronic, E-Shift, SelectShift, and Sport AT are ones that come to mind now).

My real question here is why are you making this such a big issue for the second or third time, especially because a) its not that lame and b) everyone else does it?

It IS lame.......and stupid.......!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

By the way, I never said it was a "big issue"....I just said it seemed really cheesy to me.

Putting "4MOTION" on the back is not the same.......it's differentiating an AWD vehicle....such as "4MATIC" or "Xi" (BMW) or "Quattro" or like you mentioned, "SH-AWD" (even though RL is only AWD.)

"TITAN V8?" I thought the truck's name was Titan....and it's got a V8 engine.....how is that cheesy like "TAPShift?"

GM has been notoriously bad about this kind of crap for a long time and I think all it does is bring out snickers and giggles in most educated consumers out there....

BUt......

.....that's only MHO......

"TITAN V8?"  I thought the truck's name was Titan....and it's got a V8 engine.....how is that cheesy like "TAPShift?"

Ever seen the size of the script on a Titan door panel? Its ridiculous and grotesque. Not even Dodge does &#036;h&#33; like that...usually...for the most part.

And again, I don't see how its different than BMW trademarking and advertising their manumatic system. As for the ABS badging, remember, this was at a time when not that many cars had standard anti-lock brakes (especially lower-line competitors), just as today not many cars have AWD. Its equally lame on the RL for the reason you pointed out - you cannot get a 2wd RL. Lexus/Toyota and a whole bunch others also badge their stability control systems on many of their models.

Speaking of lousy branding, I would be more apt to laugh at the Mazda MazdaSpeed Mazda6.

And again, I don't see how its different than BMW trademarking and advertising their manumatic system.

....the difference is....."Steptronic" is simply what they call their system.

You don't see BMW resorting to cheesy marketing tactics to promote the name "Steptronic."

Pontiac, however, is pushing "TAPShift" out there like it's some marvel of engineering and technology.....(maybe hyperbole, but hopefully you get my point.)

You don't see BMW resorting to cheesy marketing tactics to promote the name "Steptronic."

Pontiac, however, is pushing "TAPShift" out there like it's some marvel of engineering and technology.....(maybe hyperbole, but hopefully you get my point.)

And TAPShift is what Pontiac calls theirs.

That very much hyperbole and an exaggeration. You and I have seen worse from many other manufacturers. When the car debuted, I don't recall any car in its segement offering manumatic select on the steering wheel.

Also, when was the last time you saw a TAPShift advertisement aside from the debut spot with the kids playing video games or a brief mention in a print ad or title card on a TV spot (just like how everyone else advertises features)?

Man...

And TAPShift is what Pontiac calls theirs.

That very much hyperbole and an exaggeration. You and I have seen worse from many other manufacturers. When the car debuted, I don't recall any car in its segement offering manumatic select on the steering wheel.

Also, when was the last time you saw a TAPShift advertisement aside from the debut spot with the kids playing video games or a brief mention in a print ad or title card on a TV spot (just like how everyone else advertises features)?

Man...

:pokeowned:

BMW is too busy trying to convice the die hard owners of the positive aspects of the trade marked "i Drive" to promote "Steptronic".

Their all guilty of the TM game. Though with i Drive they might want to try some cheese as what they are doing is not convincing many that it's some marvel of engineering and technology. Maybe a big "I" :) emblem on the wheel center caps would help?

Edited by hyperv6

You guys can call it what you want, but I disagree with everyone who says it's worthless. On the Grand Prix, in factory programmed form, it's a bit on the conservative side because it chimes and cuts fuel just short of the redline (but does NOT shift for you on its own), but that is FOR A REASON. It basically says "DUMBASS, if you want to keep your car for a while, don't push it". Many enthusiasts have had their computers reprogrammed to allow for a bit more agressive mode, which lets you hit redline if you really want to. It's a very simple fix. But either way, the shifts are lightning quick, very crisp on the 4T65E tranny, and you have complete control over it. Granted, 4 gears isn't too much fun, but it is the most fun you could possibly have with a 4-speed tranny. All magazines have admitted that GM's tap-shift is much quicker than most other cars with manumatic shifting, even expensive brands.

I have completely and totally enjoyed having that feature on my 2004 Grand Prix and used Tapshift all the time, especially when driving around curves, hilly areas etc. It was simply awesome. It did everything I would've wanted to do had it been a manual.

Just my 2 cents.