Next-gen Nissan Altima to bow at New York show

Variance

Well, from such a small shot, I'm quite impressed. I like the current Altima... would tweak a few elements, but I think the next gen will improve on everything and be an excellent competitor. I'm anxious to see.

Cool. Up the performance even more, but add some quality so it doesn't feel as flimsy as a cardboard box inside and out anymore, and things will be good.

Actually, while they're at it, I hope a MAJOR refresh is coming ASAP for the Armada and Titan. Right now, they have, by far, some of the worst materials and finish of any new vehicle, and still suffer from lots of rattle, creak, and falling apart issues.

Well, seeing how Nissan is finally making good interiors again after it's recent, but short lived phase of cheapo plastic in it's vehicles , I can confidently predict that the Altima's interior will be nicer then the Aura's just because it's what we can expect from GM. The Aura will look nice, but the plastics aren't there just yet.

Therefore, I can also assume that the Altima will be the nicer of the two models overall.

With Opel having more of an influence on Saturn with future models, that will change. But not for a little while.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Actually, while they're at it, I hope a MAJOR refresh is coming ASAP for the Armada and Titan.  Right now, they have, by far, some of the worst materials and finish of any new vehicle, and still suffer from lots of rattle, creak, and falling apart issues.

We should be seeing something with those (and the QX56) pretty soon. They're all in their 3rd model years and are due for an upgrade.

The "tooth" in the grille has likely seen it's day as a Nissan trait.

I wouldn't expect it to make an appearance on the Altima, especially since the new Sentra is without it.

There was no where to go with the Altima besides up. The interior was a joke (If this was a GM'er it would be ridiculed up and down for no good reason) and OHC engines suck. The V6 is a buzz bomb compared with my G6 and clear tail lamps are cheap looking. Nissan should just give up the idea of making a G6 wannabe. Are they going to match the sexy G6 coupe or one of the nicest performance convertibes around this side of the XLR and Vette? This thing is just going to end up being another rinky dink Piece of crap import that should be recycled before even making it to the dealership.

I'll put my G6 up against this cheap imitator any day and leave it in the dust. C&D, MT and CR will most likely gush all over this glorified 1986 Sentra and the import humping public will foolishly buy up the things in droves... :angry:

The current Altima stole a lot of Maxima sales and the Maxima is just bizzare. I think at least one off these two cars should be RWD.

If it was up to me... I'd make the next gen. Maxima a rebadged M35.

There was no where to go with the Altima besides up. The interior was a joke (If this was a GM'er it would be ridiculed up and down for no good reason) and OHC engines suck. The V6 is a buzz bomb compared with my G6 and clear tail lamps are cheap looking. Nissan should just give up the idea of making a G6 wannabe. Are they going to match the sexy G6 coupe or one of the nicest performance convertibes around this side of the XLR and Vette? This thing is just going to end up being another rinky dink Piece of crap import that should be recycled before even making it to the dealership.

I'll put my G6 up against this cheap imitator any day and leave it in the dust. C&D, MT and CR will most likely gush all over this glorified 1986 Sentra and the import humping public will foolishly buy up the things in droves...  :angry:

:lol: Oh my... thanks for the laugh. The sarcasm got me... You can post your real response, now.

:lol: Oh my... thanks for the laugh. The sarcasm got me... You can post your real response, now.

Sarcasm? :scratchchin: You think the Altima is a good car? I am curious as to what areas you think the Altima is a better car than the G6. And not what the Import Ragazines quote either :P

Is there a coupe?

Convertible?

Not on that I can tell...

Sarcasm? :scratchchin:  You think the Altima is a good car? I am curious as to what areas you think the Altima is a better car than the G6. And not what the Import Ragazines quote either :P

Is there a coupe?

Convertible?

No offense, but you gotta get out more....the Altima has a somewhat crappy interior...and that's it.

The optional V6 in the Altima is more powerful than the G6's GTP engine.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is "Why am I so aggressively defending a product (G6) that is SO superior that it can leap tall buildings in single bound?"

Oh, and the coupe was 12 months late (nice job, GM) and the 'vert...well I haven't seen it in showrooms yet, so lets hold the phone on the accolades....

I really dislike my Altima that I'm driving now...

It has SO many flaws, doesn't drive well (Compared to my Focus, so this might be characteristics of it's larger size---I'm doing an apples to oranges Consumer Reports type of comparison here) BOTTOMS out EVERY frikkin' WHERE and while handsome, is generally bland to look at.

I see they still haven't fixed one of my LEAST FAVORITE pieces of the car... The FAT ASS bumper on the rear... GOD!!! It reminds me of one of those 1980's actresses that has the "LONG ASS SYNDROME" because their Levi's are pulled up to their bra line.

Anyway... A lot of the new Nissan's look like GM's... ALTHOUGH, because they're asian they're VASTLY superior naturally. (Well, actually french, but americans are too DUMB to know that)

No offense, but you gotta get out more....the Altima has a somewhat crappy interior...and that's it.

The optional V6 in the Altima is more powerful than the G6's GTP engine.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is "Why am I so aggressively defending a product (G6) that is SO superior that it can leap tall buildings in single bound?"

Oh, and the coupe was 12 months late (nice job, GM) and the 'vert...well I haven't seen it in showrooms yet, so lets hold the phone on the accolades....

More powerful doesn't mean its a better car. Sure, if you go by Ragazine articles the cheapo Altima is quick but what do they know? The interior is horrid, the exterior is cheap and the maintainence for that OHC pile of crap is probably 3 times the cost of my Pontiac. I don't think the Altima stands a chance against the G6. Heck even the Malibu is a better option over the Altima. One day, the import lovers out there will get their just do's. :ohyeah: Sending Nissan and the rest of the cronies back to Asia where they belong.

Sarcasm? :scratchchin:  You think the Altima is a good car? I am curious as to what areas you think the Altima is a better car than the G6. And not what the Import Ragazines quote either :P

Is there a coupe?

Convertible?

While I haven't driven a G6.... I can testify to the fact that the Altima isn't that great... Sure, it looks decent, accerlerates like hell---I'll give them that and rides pretty smooth. But it's nothing to write home about like people would have you think...

The way it was such a HUGE success: M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. Plain and simple Nissan EFFECTIVELY marketed the hell out of the car. GM hasn't effectively marketed a car since.... well, who knows?

Sure, the rags wrote good things... But they (As far as I have seen) were also pretty fair in pointing out it's flaws.

In a nutshell: Nissan did an EXCELLENT job at making a Camry with a little bit of CLASS and EXCITEMENT. But they didn't make it SO exciting and classy that they alienated the "Appliance buyer" that buys the Camcord. And THAT is what's called a DOUBLE win. They won over consumers by not going too far and they won over auto rags by building something MORE appealing than your average sushi sedan.

The G6, like SO MANY GM PRODUCTS of the past 5 years IS essentially a good 'spot on' competitor that is marred by OBVIOUS rough edges and compromises. Unfortunately those compromises are BLATANTLY obvious and that's why they get lukewarm to HORRIBLE PR (Depending on how much the writer hates GM) The G6 isn't a bad car, and the rags HAVE given it credit. But it also isn't SPECIAL in any way.... There isn't ANY reason to buy it over any other "appliance" in this class save for loyalty or price. And this segment is one of the ROUGHEST segments in the business right now. And we all know where americans buy their "appliances" that's right, in a Japanese dealership where they've been TOLD to buy them for 20 years... Unless GM offers something CLEARLY ABOVE the competition then they will continue to lose sales because they are starting from a NEGATIVE position in a lot of consumers minds anyway, so they have to not only work hard enough to break even, but also push even harder to UP THE ANTE and SURPASS the competition.

Is there a coupe?

Convertible?

Well, not necessarily, but like enzl said, you need to get out more. Let's analyse:

There was no where to go with the Altima besides up. The interior was a joke The updated interior, while not perfect, is atleast on par with the G6, material wise. Fit and finish and design, though, it's much better. (If this was a GM'er it would be ridiculed up and down for no good reason) and OHC engines suck. Just an opinion. The V6 is a buzz bomb compared with my G6 and clear tail lamps are cheap looking. Considering it performs better... As for the taillights, again, an opinion and I find the G6's taillights to be much cheaper looking. Nissan should just give up the idea of making a G6 wannabe. Altima came before G6, obviously. Are they going to match the sexy G6 coupe or one of the nicest performance convertibes around this side of the XLR and Vette? Putting the G6 conv in the same sentence with the Vette and XLR... are you high? This thing is just going to end up being another rinky dink Piece of crap import that should be recycled before even making it to the dealership. Uh huh...

I'll put my G6 up against this cheap imitator any day and leave it in the dust. Considering the Altima performs better... C&D, MT and CR will most likely gush all over this glorified 1986 Sentra and the import humping public will foolishly buy up the things in droves...  :angry:

Yeah... can you post your real response now? Please?

More powerful doesn't mean its a better car. Sure, if you go by Ragazine articles the cheapo Altima is quick but what do they know? The interior is horrid, the exterior is cheap and the maintainence for that OHC pile of crap is probably 3 times the cost of my Pontiac. I don't think the Altima stands a chance against the G6. Heck even the Malibu is a better option over the Altima. One day, the import lovers out there will get their just do's.  :ohyeah: Sending Nissan and the rest of the cronies back to Asia where they belong.

Again... your real response? All this blind sarcasmic statements are killing me. :rotflmao:

While I haven't driven a G6.... I can testify to the fact that the Altima isn't that great... Sure, it looks decent, accerlerates like hell---I'll give them that and rides pretty smooth. But it's nothing to write home about like people would have you think...

The way it was such a HUGE success: M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. Plain and simple Nissan EFFECTIVELY marketed the hell out of the car. GM hasn't effectively marketed a car since.... well, who knows?

Sure, the rags wrote good things... But they (As far as I have seen) were also pretty fair in pointing out it's flaws.

In a nutshell: Nissan did an EXCELLENT job at making a Camry with a little bit of CLASS and EXCITEMENT. But they didn't make it SO exciting and classy that they alienated the "Appliance buyer" that buys the Camcord. And THAT is what's called a DOUBLE win. They won over consumers by not going too far and they won over auto rags by building something MORE appealing than your average sushi sedan.

The G6, like SO MANY GM PRODUCTS of the past 5 years IS essentially a good 'spot on' competitor that is marred by OBVIOUS rough edges and compromises. Unfortunately those compromises are BLATANTLY obvious and that's why they get lukewarm to HORRIBLE PR (Depending on how much the writer hates GM) The G6 isn't a bad car, and the rags HAVE given it credit. But it also isn't SPECIAL in any way.... There isn't ANY reason to buy it over any other "appliance" in this class save for loyalty or price. And this segment is one of the ROUGHEST segments in the business right now. And we all know where americans buy their "appliances" that's right, in a Japanese dealership where they've been TOLD to buy them for 20 years... Unless GM offers something CLEARLY ABOVE the competition then they will continue to lose sales because they are starting from a NEGATIVE position in a lot of consumers minds anyway, so they have to not only work hard enough to break even, but also push even harder to UP THE ANTE and SURPASS the competition.

Exactly.

I'll put my G6 up against this cheap imitator any day and leave it in the dust. C&D, MT and CR will most likely gush all over this glorified 1986 Sentra and the import humping public will foolishly buy up the things in droves...  :angry:

The Altima existed before the G6, so there's no way it can be a "G6 wannabe."

LOL, should we tell him the G6 is an Altima wannabe?  :lol:  :lol:

Nah, just tell him the G6 is a Camry wannabe, that should strike him where it hurts! :cussing:

Or tell him that Honda's 3.0L V6 makes more power than his 3.9L V6. Not to mention his Auto trans is missing a gear :lol:

Nah, just tell him the G6 is a Camry wannabe, that should strike him where it hurts!  :cussing:

Or tell him that Honda's 3.0L V6 makes more power than his 3.9L V6. Not to mention his Auto trans is missing a gear  :lol:

Ouch!! Well, he'll probably throw back that the 3.9L V6 puts out more torque than the Honda 3.0L.

Sigh. What people forget is that this 3.0L in the Honda is old already--with minor tweaks over several years, and due for an update--the 3.9L is brand-new. Where will GM's engines be when the Japanese get upgrades to their existing? Oh, wait, the 268hp 3.5L Camry that puts out a fair amount more power (and probably quieter and smoother), than the 3.9L.

I better shut up now because people are going to get ticked.

Guest YellowJacket894

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not going to bother including the other posts this guy made in this thread, but, for one thing, he sure is reaching deep into the bottle of Oxycotn. He must be to be thinking of stuff like this.

Listen, I've spent time around Nissan products, and out of the Japan Big Three, I can honestly say I like the French-Japanese hybrid we've come to know as Nissan. They have decent looking cars, Infiniti products are honest-to-God rear-wheel-drive, and the powertrains employed are great. However, the interiors are a drawback, but I think Nissan is doing its best to remedy the problem and still have a sport-oriented and designed interior.

And if you respond back and try to state that I am a Import Loving Bastard, take your response somewhere else. The fact is, I support GM, along with the other domestic automakers, and always will. But I'm not going to restrain myself and not give credit where credit is due. That is called "biased," which is what you are, my friend. In case you didn't notice, "biased" is what makes "Consumer Reports" and a handful of other magazines crap. When you are "biased," you agree not to have an opinion but a belief which you try to put in stone.

And your posts and statements can be considered as "trolling" or "spam" in my opinion, and that leads to a banning, if you aren't already banned.

So, take some time to clear your head, learn how to form opinions, and then come back and post some of the good old truth.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Wow...it uh...looks the same. Japanese Vanilla with a little generic spice added. The current one is quite dated...at least to me....and the current ones problems are much more than a crappy interior. The powertrain (specifically the 4 cyl auto) is utter crap. The V6 is pretty good though.

The current Altima stole a lot of Maxima sales and the Maxima is just bizzare. I think at least one off these two cars should be RWD.

If it was up to me... I'd make the next gen. Maxima a rebadged M35.

Nah, a rebadge would be a huge mistake. The next Max is essentially the Teena, which is a great car. The facelifted Max, along with the new Altima, Sentra, and the introduction of the Versa, will make Nissan stronger than ever in the car department.

Listen, I've spent time around Nissan products, and out of the Japan Big Three, I can honestly say I like the French-Japanese hybrid we've come to know as Nissan. They have decent looking cars, Infiniti products are honest-to-God rear-wheel-drive, and the powertrains employed are great. However, the interiors are a drawback, but I think Nissan is doing its best to remedy the problem and still have a sport-oriented and designed interior.

I agree 100%. As far as the interiors go, look for an upgrade for both Nissans and Infinitis. Nissan's foot's in the door, and the next thing they'll bring are upgraded interiors. Infiniti's already started; the M's interior is awesome, and the '06 FX's refreshened interior's very nice also. Expect the next G, and especially the next Q, to really be up there with the class leaders.

I dunno, I'm not going to draw any conclusions, because I havnt seen the complete car yet. However, I think that Nissan, like Mazda had their 15 minutes of fame. I think Nissan will end up being like Mazda, where they had cool looking cars, but then ran out of ideas, so they continue the same thing on all their cars.

Note: New Sentra looking like a mini-Maxima.

You are by-far, the dumbest, one-sided, uninformed GM-Kool-Aid overdosed member I've seen on this board. OHC engines suck? accoding to who? G6 wannabe? give me a break.

Is there a coupe?

Convertible?

Just because it has a coupe and convertable doesn't make it a better car, and I'm not buying the fact that's it's a better car just because of that. Since you say the G6 is better? Tell me why and how?

More powerful doesn't mean its a better car. Sure, if you go by Ragazine articles the cheapo Altima is quick but what do they know? The interior is horrid, the exterior is cheap and the maintainence for that OHC pile of crap is probably 3 times the cost of my Pontiac. I don't think the Altima stands a chance against the G6. Heck even the Malibu is a better option over the Altima. One day, the import lovers out there will get their just do's.  :ohyeah: Sending Nissan and the rest of the cronies back to Asia where they belong.

Buddy, don't crack me up, if you say stuff like this, then you have little or no knowledge about cars. The only car you've ever driven in your life is your precious G6, at least that's the way it sounds.

and damn, talk about being over-dosed on the GM Kool-Aid!!! :alcoholic:

Edited by Polish_Kris

just got this from CAR CONNECTION

"Nissan Plans New York Debut for New Altima

The New York auto show will be the first public display of the new 2007 Nissan Altima, the company confirmed on Wednesday. A new body style arrives in 2007 on a new "D" platform, promising better body rigidity and a newly penned suspension. Nissan's Xtronic CVT will be standard on all models, while the 3.5-liter V-6 and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines will remain on the roster. On sale in the fall of 2006, the Altima, Nissan says, will be one of the best-performing front-drive sedans on the market."

just got this from CAR CONNECTION

"Nissan Plans New York Debut for New Altima

The New York auto show will be the first public display of the new 2007 Nissan Altima, the company confirmed on Wednesday. A new body style arrives in 2007 on a new "D" platform, promising better body rigidity and a newly penned suspension. Nissan's Xtronic CVT will be standard on all models, while the 3.5-liter V-6 and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines will remain on the roster. On sale in the fall of 2006, the Altima, Nissan says, will be one of the best-performing front-drive sedans on the market."

Hey, if done right, I'd totally consider it as my next car. I'm a GM fan, but with every single model, I always find something that it "lacks" that I want. I think because of the way the divisions are set up, it's like, I love the Impala LTZ, but couldn't get auto climate control if I wanted... I'd have to go down to a cheaper Malibu (makes no sense to me here--I mean, granted the Impala offers dual zone, but still, it's not auto), which is smaller and not the style I like, or jump up to a LaCrosse, which, has its own issues (granted the same platform as an Impala).

my fear? front drive G35 mixed with some new Sentra.

The CVT is intriguing, however, the Nissans have so much hp, and

I know the Maxima 5 speed auto is good.....if its a good auto tranny with lots of hp, i don't feel it needs a CVT. I hope the CVT is not the only tranny offering.

I like the current SE-R. I hope they still offer it.

Edited by regfootball

Domesticated is so funny...the current Altima is far better than the G6. I'm so glad Nissan has finally fixed the rear end of the Altima...I've always liked the overall look of the car, but the butt was just too big...from what I can see now it looks great. (Nissan learned their lesson with the Maxima grill...since when it's refresh comes around they are ditching the grill).

So far this car looks like winner, Nissan actually knows how to style their cars (unlike Toyota and Honda) Chrysler better come up with a winner if they hope to compete aganst this thing.