Photo gallery: Intrigues I've "owned"

Those of you who "know" me, but don't necessarily love me (LOL), know how I drool over the Intrigue. As for as Olds goes, it was the best of the old and the best of the new. It really was their finest hour, and that saddens me.

Here's a compendium of Intrigues I've gotten to "live in." There were more, but here are those I have photographed.

1998 Intrigue - 3800 V6

Location: Northern California, toward Lake Tahoe, US 50 near Echo Summit

Comment: far and away, my favorite color for the car

Posted Image

1998 Intrigue - 3800 V6

Comment: what a day! Rome-Toronto on Alitalia / Toronto-Seattle on Air Canada/ driving Mom back to Portland in this Intrigue / work the next day

Posted Image

1999 Intrigue - 3.5 V6

Location: Pensacola Beach, FL in the National Seashore Preserve

Comment: my first sampling of the 3.5 V6, the additional hp can be felt

Posted Image

1999 Intrigue - 3.5 V6

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada - adjacent to Toronto Sky Dome

Comment: love the always illuminated amber lights in front, great root beer color, though I wouldn't choose it

Posted Image

2001 Intrigue - 3.5 V6

Location: Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada - 1 hour north of Montreal

Comment: this picture exemplifies that this is an exquisite car from every angle. I am hard pressed to find anything about this car that isn't harmonious, balanced and tasteful. Its current stablemates, LaCrosse and GP, have some visual balance quirks not found in the Intrigue. It was fun driving this thing around the small French speaking towns outside of Montreal.

Posted Image

Sidebar:

I still gloat over the Motor Trend article that, when it first came out, gave the Intrigue the nod over the Camry and the Maxima of that year!

Are you folks as fond of this car as I am?

Edited by trinacriabob

I really like them too, and was seriously considering buying a used one for a while.

In July of '99, my grandmother traded in her '92 Grand Prix LE sedan for a '99 Intrigue GX 3.8L that's exactly like pic #2. They came down to visit us just after buying it, and I remember really enjoying riding in it, but now, every time we go back to PA to visit, I always end up driving it.

It still only has about 48-50k miles on it, and has had some issues with oil leaking around the pan (happened 3 times, been fixed 3 times), but overall, a great car.

Also, probably my favorite part is just how rock solid the thing feels, even hurled over some really bad pavement. Full of cheap plastics--like having the ROUGHEST cut passenger's airbag I've ever seen in a car--but the design inside is very nice, and works well. It's a very sporty drive, and even though the 3.8L doesn't impress me climbing hills (actually, that's what I like least...it seems to die a quick death on a steep hill, unless you plant the pedal in the carpet), it's quite sprightly around town.

Still, a very nice car. Actually, if it were still around, and just had an interior with new materials equal to something like a Lucerne, and then was also updated a bit more with some fresh styling details and better performance, it would still be the top W-body.

I put like 50m miles on a red 2000 with the shortstar when I worked at Bill DeLuca Chevrolet. It was a fine machine, but you know me: I bitched about it being FWD too much to fall in love with it.

Compared to a Lexus Es or Acura TL it definately would have been my choice.

trinacriabob

How would you compare the Intrigue to the Lacrosse?  Does the 3800 feel the same in both? How does the 3.5 S* compare to the 3.6 HF?  Can you comment on ride quality differences between the two?

I know you're waiting for trinacriabob's response, but I must say, based on a lot of reviews I've read from people with Intrigues who go to try out a Lacrosse as a possible replacement, it always comes out as "okay". Doesn't handle or steer as sporty as the Intrigue did, and also just clearly feels more "Buick" on the road...which is expected, but doesn't help matters as far as comparison. Not really sure about the 3.5L vs. the 3.6L, though.

Truthfully, from a purely driving standpoint, I'd say the '04+ Grand Prix is the closest in feel to what an Intrigue is like.

Never understood how or why, but it was always the W-body that felt quite "different"...in a very good way.

A co-worker of mine had a green 1999 Intrigue that he had for about a year until he sold it for an F-150 Lightninig. It was a nice car...that and the Aurora are among two of my favorite Oldsmobiles from the 90s. It's still a shame that Olds was killed...it easily had the best looking lineup in the late 90s / early 00s of any GM division, IMO.

trinacriabob

How would you compare the Intrigue to the Lacrosse?  Does the 3800 feel the same in both? How does the 3.5 S* compare to the 3.6 HF?  Can you comment on ride quality differences between the two?

Caddycruiser makes some good points, almost all of which, IMHO, are accurate.

The press liked the Intrigue because it straddled the middle ground between the then Regal and the still with us Grand Prix...meaning it hit the "sweet spot" in balancing nimble, athletic handling and a supple, controlled ride. I absolutely loved the ones I've rented for achieving that balance.

You are right. Going into the LaCrosse is very Buick. The 3800 is a tad quieter than it has been in the past, but not to the extent that they rave about. Perhaps it is the 3.6 that gets you that level of quiet. I only know 400 miles of driving a 3800 equipped LaCrosse. I will say that the feel at idle is improved. As far as handling goes, the LaCrosse is, again, still a Buick. There is some ponderous wallowing over highway undulations and some body lean if pushed too hard. This would be the case when the suspension is in CX and CXL form.

The Grand Prix is an adult's go kart. It's a fun car to drive and inspires more confidence when pushed harder. However, the Intrigue does not approach that level of sportiness as Caddycruiser indicates, though it comes damn close. The Intrigue still retains a little bit more Oldsmobile in its personality than leaning all the way over on the continuum to being Pontiac-like.

That's what sold the Intrigue and reeled in different consumers. A sporty sedan with great road manners combined with a luxurious enough driving experience, all for a very reasonable price. I wish the LaCrosse could be more like the Intrigue. Maybe "Ninety Eight Regency" was right, if I recall a post of his doubting the ability of the LaCrosse to step in as a "surrogate" Intrigue (on the old board).

Edited by trinacriabob

Bill DeLuca Chevrolet.

Compared to a Lexus Es or Acura TL it definately would have been my choice.

Comment 1:

You don't know how painful it is for us dyed-in-the-wool WOPs to be living on the West Coast! We don't have dealerships with names like that! I'm busting up.

Comment 2:

Pantho - I agree. I too would pick Intrigue over those vehicles. In a heartbeat.

Bob, which color do you fancy more, white or black?

Neither, Flybry. Check out picture 1. The light metallic colors are the most flattering IMO. I love that blue you see combined with the taupe interior. Love it.

I'm not one for dark colors, largely because of the safety issue at night. I'd take white over black, though, in reference to your question. One nice color that was flattering for the car was the metallic forest green, but I wouldn't choose it.

Sidebar: the darn car looks WAY better WITHOUT its spoiler. This way, that gently and tastefully curved lip/crease in the rear is accentuated.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind for something if something I think may happen sometime soon does, in fact, happen.

Cryptic, eh?

Flybry, is there an Intrigue in your future? I'm coming down to vacation in So. Fla. in late May/early June. You gonna drive me around in it? :ohyeah:

Flybry, is there an Intrigue in your future?  I'm coming down to vacation in So. Fla. in late May/early June.  You gonna drive me around in it?  :ohyeah:

Haha. Well, I'll gladly take you for a spin in the Aurora. :)

Let's just say it may be something just as nice on a smaller scale. No promises, but I'm hoping.

• 1 year later...

Fly, if I understand your cryptic message right, and you have extra, I like the black. :AH-HA_wink:

Bob, there was a Final 500 Intrigue for sale in my local newspaper last week. 140 miles, garage kept, $23k. If I didn't lease the AURA in November, I'd probably have that car in my garage right now. Of course it would get driven on a daily basis, but IMO the Intrigue 500 was the best of the "final" cars by Olds.

I was totally in love with the all-new-for-1997 Grand Prix at the time, but liked the Buick Regal and Olds Intrigue too. I looked at a used white 2001 Intrigue GLS back in 2004 or 2005, but decided to lease the Envoy instead. Those Intrigues still look good on the road today.

And there's a thread ragging on W-bodies right now... hissyfit.gif....it would have been interesting to see what a 2007 Intrigue would have looked like if Olds was still around!

Oldsmobile and GM would have come to their senses and called it Cutlass and offered a bench seat on the base model and called it Cutlass S. :thumbsup:

Bob, there was a Final 500 Intrigue for sale in my local newspaper last week. 140 miles, garage kept, $23k.

At slightly over $ 20K, I will be getting a base GP or MC or something to that effect...with a 5 yr/100M warranty. Also, I need to use up my GM Card earnings, now at over $ 2,000.

Now, if I do get an Intrigue, it will be as a second car and it will probably be a 1998 or 1999 that a Medicare Mabel has pampered and hardly driven. It would be interesting to know what the color of that Intrigue final 500 is.

Landis, I have ONE reaction to the bench seat in a touring sedan:

scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif

To me the true touring sedan was the 1987-1993 Ninety Eight Touring Sedan. I almost bought one for my second car. I saw no point in having two Ninety Eights in the end... That is why I went with a touring coupe.. A Toronado with a bench seat.

:lol:

I admit I did look at the Aurora and the Intrigue too, but I still find analog gauges dreadful and boring and I did not want to compromise too much.

black 99 Intrigue GLS, loaded, 3.5L.

OK, an 8-year old car with the 3.5, which was relatively uncharted territory at that time...how is the engine holding up for however many miles it has?

Oldsmobile and GM would have come to their senses and called it Cutlass and offered a bench seat on the base model and called it Cutlass S. :thumbsup:

Thatbwould have been a step in the right direction.