Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Lone Star sissy? Nissan Juke named 'Crossover of Texas'

Lone Star sissy? Nissan Juke named 'Crossover of Texas'

11:44 AM

ow the Texas Auto Writers Association loves them red-blooded, big gutsy pickups -- ones with Lone Star State touches like seats that feel like a saddle or branding iron shifters (well, we made that last one up, but it's not a bad idea.) It was no surprise that the Texan scribes hailed Ford as the best Texas truck line and Chrysler's Ram Laramie Longhorn as favorite pickup truck.

But naming the Nissan Juke as "Crossover of Texas?" Nissan's new crossover vehicle aimed at urban hipsters is so odd looking that it would cause a Texas cattle stampede if it were allowed too close to the herd. Some cowboys might mistake it for an armadillo. But that's not how the auto writers saw it:

"The Nissan Juke was a breath of fresh air at this year's rodeo with its unique and aggressive styling," said Michael Herzing, president of TAWA. "On top of that it's fun and exciting to drive. I think it's going to surprise a lot of people and bring home a lot more awards."

What's the association doing awarding a "Crossover of Texas" award anyway? That doesn't sound particularly like the kind of muddy-boots stuff we expect. What's next, the "Econobox of Texas?"

link:

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/Index

Maybe Texas really should succeed from the union if this is the case....

I'm going to duck one of the auto industry's worst example of styling ever and ask : What the hell is so "fun & exciting" about driving this thing ??

Balthazar...thank you. Is it really not just me...or does this really kind of join the worst looking lineup of cars anywhere from any car maker?

I mean...Maxima...Cube...this abortion...Altima./...the not very attractive GTR...the butt ugly titan (do they even still make those?

Balthazar...thank you. Is it really not just me...or does this really kind of join the worst looking lineup of cars anywhere from any car maker?

I mean...Maxima...Cube...this abortion...Altima./...the not very attractive GTR...the butt ugly titan (do they even still make those?

Well it seems like Nissan designs cars based on the expressions Ghosn's face on the day of design, while he is sitting on the crapper.

Nissan :: I would give the maxima, altima & murano a grade of B-; nothing stirring, but not offensive. I could give more detail, but who cares. Yea, I kno: the murano. :rolleyes:

The rest are more in the 'D' grade range... EXCEPT :

cube

juke

gtr

These 3 are quite hideous, literally 'F's, ESPECIALLY the 1st two. Just awful. I literally cannot believe they were greenlighted.

cube

juke

gtr

These 3 are quite hideous, literally 'F's, ESPECIALLY the 1st two. Just awful. I literally cannot believe they were greenlighted.

I agree...sometime I feel the world is nuts in the cars they buy.

Rouge is also offensive, IMHO.

One Last Texan: Nissan Juke named CUV of the Lone Star State

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Oct 26th 2010 at 4:32PM

We told you yesterday about a whole slew of awards doled out by the Texas Auto Writers Association, but we missed one. The 2011 Nissan Juke has earned the nod as as this year's CUV of Texas. The gaggle of Lone Star writers that hopped behind the seat cited the vehicle's interesting styling and engaging driving experience as the top-ranking reasons for the high-riding hatch's win. Of course, we're pretty big fans of the 32 miles per gallon (highway) that the 188-horsepower 1.6-liter turbo-four turns out, and the super-trick HVAC controls are worth a win in our book, too. Still, we can't help but be a bit surprised that historically conservative Texas would recognize such an otherworldly looking machine. We're guessing that a healthy contingent of the jury comes from "Keep it Weird" Austin, and that's just fine by us.

Nissan says that the TAWA will present the automaker a trophy at its award ceremony on November 12 at Space Center Houston. Seems only fitting for a CUV that looks like it could have spent its formative years roaming the surface of Mars. Hit the jump for the press release.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/one-last-texan-nissan-juke-named-cuv-of-the-lone-star-state/