Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1972 Oldsmobile Toronado

Makes me wish we had good alternative enrgy sourced, so we didn't have to have CAFE and so forth.

Cubical came to Columbus a few days ago, and we ate dinner. He expressed his desire for a land yacht, something that I also share.

I would love to own a car like this!

To have some of the old GM back, building cars like this, that I remember so well from when I was a boy...ahhh...those were good days!

I really never bonded with the GM cars from when I was a boy.

Perhaps unconventionally, I bonded with what I liked best after delving into cars over time (which was older than my experience) and didn't just go with nostalgia.

I think it's part nostalgia and part how much better the designs of the era were.

I mean, given the choice between a 68 GTO and a 2011 Hyundai genesis, it's not much of a choice in my book.

You know, my father had a 79 Olds 88...I remember driving that car on dates with girls, driving it sideways like that 442 W-30 in 'blus video (more than once) winning a couple of stupid street traces in it, riding in it when my father and I used to go to football games....

Not every good memory of mine is a GM muscle car.

Damn I miss Oldsmobile.

My GF had a few Olds'; '82 98 Regency Brougham (chocolate brown over copper, cushy, slow as hell), then an '86 98 Regency.

Dad had a '70 Catalina, which I never drove before it was sold, and a '77 Safari, which I put 1000s of miles on.

I have some nostalgia for that particular car, and I wouldn't mind a week in one again now, but I'm not gooshy on that era.

What of the late '70s thru late '80s is going to pull me in over the -say- mid '60s again??

That's right; a big fat nothing.

stang- what about comparing a '68 GTO to a '77 LeMans Sport - where are you with that random one?

stang- what about comparing a '68 GTO to a '77 LeMans Sport - where are you with that random one?

I actually kind of have a soft spot for 1970's GM iron. It's not anything like the 68 goat, but it is a world better than the Hyundai....

I could almost enjoy rolling around with swivel bucket seats, a cassette player, and a girl with the blonde Farrah Fawcett hair....for part of an evening, anyways.

In college, I had a good friend who ha a 78 Z28 with t tops, enjoyed rolling around in that car. And the bigger stuff, the 73-77 GM midsize...I actually like those cars. I like Camino's wagon...and I think an Olds version of that wagon would be fun. One of the girls I knew in high school was as nuts as a driver as I was back then...her parents pretty much forbade her from riding with me,m and mine didn't like me riding with her. Her family was always very Pontiac oriented, and they always had a couple of 73-77 Grand Prix sitting around. Not as powerful as the 68 goat, but you can have a lot of fun with a V8 Pontiac from the 70's era.

Caught up with her not long ago and she's...into Miata's heavily. Wierd...anyhow...

Bring me a mid seventies Cutty or a 77-78 TA...and I'll be a very happy camper.

1/4 of the cost.

Until you go to restore one or get parts....

Stang; Olds was saying that the '70s cars are 1/4 the cost of mid '60s iron, and they easily are... today.

But he was referencing my post on why what cars gelled with me. When I was 'gelling', the '60s stuff wasn't nearly as valuable as it later became.

I remember looking up my B-59 in the Olds Cars Price Guide, and year after year it was only worth $7500 in #1 condition.

Then in the space of maybe 5-8 years it tripled in #1... not long after I began the cutting.

I got what he was saying...problem is I have thought about re-doing a 75-78 Trans Am firebird...very pricy for parts.

Same with a Grand Prix or a Cutlass from 73-77.

OK- surprised to hear that. I would think, especially WRT the GP/Cutlass, that it would be availability rather than cost as the obstacle.

Save up; buy a T/A already done or a good original- cheaper than restoration.

I think if I own one more muscle car...it's still going to be 1960's...but not in that stage of life right now.

Still dream of a 70's Firebird, however.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook