Sign in to follow this  
Blake Noble

WANTED: A Hawk

Hawk? A Firehawk?

Nope.

A Buick Skyhawk?

Nope. Although you're thinking on the right track and don't even realize it.*

No, I'm looking for a G&L Superhawk, an electric guitar. I already own one but it's a real dog (rattle-can paint job) and I'll probably be selling it soon.

For those of you who need to know what this model of guitar looks like, here's a pic:

YD.jpg

They also made two models related to this one, called the Invader and the Rampage (Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains uses that one). If you know where to get one of those, I'd be happy with either one instead of a Hawk.

l_00e547c35a1b4cc187c92eec2df38fb3.jpg

From left to right in this picture: G&L Rampage (black, one pickup), G&L Invader, G&L Superhawk, G&L Legacy (although I haven't seen one with that headstock; I am not looking for a Legacy), and another G&L Rampage.

Condition doesn't matter as long as all of the paint matches. The paint doesn't match on mine and that's why I'm getting rid of it (it looks terrible and I can't do a refinish to save my life).

One of these shouldn't run more than $500 dollars. I've seen good examples go for as cheap as $200 on eBay.

*G&L made a guitar called the Skyhawk. Interestingly enough, they also made a model called the Cavalier.

I was thinking Studebaker...

Shame on me. I keep forgetting about Studebaker and the Hawk was a damn cool car.

Never heard of a Superhawk - looks kinda like a Strat.

The body shape is similar, except the Superhawk has, first and foremost, a narrower waist. To better describe it, the shape is like a Strat meets Mustang kind of deal. It's subtle but in a big way, which is one reason why I'm so attracted to these models. Not only that, the slightly smaller shape makes it more comfortable to play and Strats are very comfortable to start with.

These were all shredder guitars (SuperStrats). I'm not much of a shredder anymore, but these guitars offered a thin neck that really agrees with my hands (I have to have a thin, C-shape neck to play effectively and comfortably) and a Kahler locking tremolo (better feel and action than a Floyd Rose IMHO).

These are also the best buys out there on the vintage market. Hell, they're a Fender in all but the name (G&L was Leo Fender's last company and were built just down the road from the original Fender/CBS-Fender plant) and offer the quality that people look for in '60s-era Fender guitars. I'm honestly considering playing these exclusively. Even the newer post-Leo Fender G&Ls are better guitars than their actual Fender equivalents in many cases. No one uses them much, though, because at first glance people a lot of people tend to write them off as some cheap Fender knock-off, mainly because G&L never caught on the same way Fender did (CBS-Fender actually forced Leo Fender to remove his name from the headstock of some '80s G&Ls, so that only hurt the company).

I found one!

I think.

I ran into a red, circa '85 model Invader in great shape on eBay the other night with a Buy-It-Now price of $700 with $45 in shipping. That price was way over the average price for it, so I contacted the seller and told him I'd give him a best offer for it. I first offered $450 and then he counter offered with $550 with $20 extra in shipping. It's $70 more than what I want to pay and, honestly, $70 too much IMHO but it's still mostly a reasonable price and cheaper than a new G&L Tribute Jerry Cantrell Rampage that I don't really want.

However, there's a strange timeline of events surrounding my find I think I should mention. When I contacted the seller two nights ago, it was still listed. Then yesterday the listing had ended with a status of sold. Only an hour or two later after I saw that did the seller tell me how much the guitar would cost with shipping. He has a 98.1% reputation rating on eBay and moves a lot of stuff through the site, so I don't think he's trying to scam me, but the circumstances are odd.

Here's the listing. When you view the listing page, it just says it has ended: http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-INVADER-/180551756973?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a09b92cad

Here's the listing as it appears in a completed listings search (second guitar on that page at the time of this posting) where a status placard reads "SOLD": http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=G%26L+Invader&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=G%26L+Invader&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

Congrats!

As for the ebay thing, I'm a bit rusty but it sounds like he used "second chance offer" to sell it to you. I could be wrong, but that's what comes to mind.

I spoke too soon.

Chalk it up to some sort of delay in the timing, but someone actually did buy it at full price before I told the seller I wanted it.

I had a feeling ...

I'm starting to think it's not meant for me to find another one of these.

I tried to negotiate the price on another red Invader that popped up on FleaBay. The seller was asking $725 and only went down on the price $25 bucks. Needless to say, it's way overpriced, which is why no one has ever put a bid in on it when he's listed it for auction (this isn't the first time it's shown up).

So I'm still looking for a guitar.

I'm actually tempted to build one from parts.

If anyone can find a body and neck from a Highway One Fender Strat cheap, drop me a line.

My son has a SG400 and a Esquire Custom Scorpion.

He has on occasion, hopped up on music & custom guitar images... has pestered me to build a guitar body from scratch.

While it percolates for a moment in my mind, I tell him he's crazy.

I tried building a standard Strat-style body out of three pieces poplar in woodshop class Freshman year. It was going well until I had to rout out the cavities; blame it on my woodshop teacher for having such a terrible router with the incorrect bit. That, and I didn't have a hand planer to do all of the contours and beveled edges.

I gave that body away.

It's a little easier when you have finished parts to use. It's all electrical work mostly and I can be mean with a soldering iron.

On a semi-related note, I did buy a new piece of gear recently: an old Valco-built Montgomery-Ward Airline amp from 1965. It's an all hand-wired, class A, 5 watt amp that only set me back $120 bucks. It's a tone monster and a cool find for the price.

Maybe in a year or two we might put our heads together and dream something up. There's a custom/ exotic wood harvester near me- some truly amazing pieces they have (Mt Holly Capalta or Tiger Maple has some intriguing patterning)- but I'd need some reliable input on what would be good to use for a guitar body. The form itself I can design and I have some different ideas... but I would be real down on the project were it to ever be painted.

Well, you're talking to the right guy if you want to know what is a good tone wood for an electric guitar.

Here we go, these are some of the most common tonewoods:

• Ash: A common tonewood used by Fender during its early days. Ash is a lightweight wood that has a louder, brighter tone with good sustain and warm bass response.
  • Alder: A common tonewood used in Fender electric guitars. Alder is somewhat comparable to ash in that it's also a lightweight wood with similar warmth. Sustain is somewhat comparable. However, Alder is far more bassier than Ash. (Poplar is very similar to Alder in tone, which is why I chose it for my project; it's a very ugly, greenish wood though, so don't plan on any burst finishes unless you want to cap it.)
  • Mahogany: Gibson's tonewood of choice. Heavier in weight than Ash or Alder and with far more warmth than either of them. Mahogany is a "mid-boosted" sort of tonewood.
  • Soft Maple: A slightly uncommon tone wood that offers some similar tonal properties to Ash. G&L was known to substitute Soft Maple for Ash on the very guitars I'm looking for right now because Soft Maple offered a tone that was similarly bright to Ash (poor, poor Leo Fender ... the guy really liked bright-sounding instruments; of course, he was half-deaf). Soft Maple is the only wood suitable for making a complete guitar body out of because harder Maple woods are very, very difficult to cut.*

Fender also experimented with solid Rosewood bodied guitars during the CBS-era, but those guitars weigh a whopping 13 pounds on average (that's way heavier than the worst Norlin-era Les Paul you can pick up) so they were real back-breakers best suited to be thrown around the shoulders of some burly lumberjack. The tone was very, very warm and quite nice but the weight was what stopped Fender from producing regular production guitars made out of it.

I can't seem to jog my memory at the moment, but another manufacturer (I think it was Gibson) flirted with walnut-bodied guitars and, once again, the weight was so unbearable, no regular production guitars made it out of the factory with that feature.

*My footnote: You can make a complete guitar body out of something like flamed maple, but for the sake of safety, I'd rather recommend you use it for capping or veneering for a guitar with a burst finish (Gibson puts a maple cap on "carved-top" Les Paul Studios, Standards, Classics, Customs, etc., finish doesn't matter here).

I suppose a good question to ask would be what sort of music does he play?

Judging from the fact he has an Esquire Scorpion and G-400, he prefers humbuckers. Any four of the commonly used woods work well with humbuckers. I should also note his Esquire has a mahogany body and a set neck (very, very uncommon features for a Fender I should again note) as does the G-400. A set-neck guitar does add additional sustain.

So, I'm assuming hard rock, classic rock, metal ... that neck of the woods, right?

Wow- thanks for the primer! Tonal qualities is nothing I've ever had to consider as a carpenter. ;)

Tiger Maple :

curly_maple_380.jpg

Not sure I understand the 'difficult to cut' aspect tho- blades & sanders are pretty formidable. ;)

Here's his band : http://www.myspace.com/petrifiedminds

The 2nd song there is more indicative, IMO. I did the CD graphics, BTW. :)

An old friend of mine owned the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen.

It was a semi-hollow bodied 12 string electric Rick in bird's-eye maple.

Gorgeous guitar - and sounded even better.

Rics are cool guitars. Expensive as hell, but very unique in tone and, obviously, appearance. I dig 'em.

I'm no longer looking for a 'Hawk.

Instead, I bought a black Toronado.

>>"Judging from the fact he has an Esquire Scorpion and G-400, he prefers humbuckers. Any four of the commonly used woods work well with humbuckers. I should also note his Esquire has a mahogany body and a set neck (very, very uncommon features for a Fender I should again note) as does the G-400. A set-neck guitar does add additional sustain."<<

FYI: boy sez both are mahoghany, Scorpion is a neck-thru, and has an EMG-89 which can split into a single coil. Whatever that means. ;)

>>"Judging from the fact he has an Esquire Scorpion and G-400, he prefers humbuckers. Any four of the commonly used woods work well with humbuckers. I should also note his Esquire has a mahogany body and a set neck (very, very uncommon features for a Fender I should again note) as does the G-400. A set-neck guitar does add additional sustain."<<

FYI: boy sez both are mahoghany, Scorpion is a neck-thru, and has an EMG-89 which can split into a single coil. Whatever that means. ;)

Yep, they're both mahogany.

As for the neck-through-body detail on the Esquire ... hmmmm ... I thought I remember reading in my '04 Fender catalog that it was a set neck. I'll have to brush up on that one.

Yeah, I certainly don't kno.

Boy sez he's seen it referred to both ways (which sounds unusual for a 1-yr only model in my mind), so I take it he's not 100%.

Right now- he's restringing his SG for tomorrow's show. :metal:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.