Could Camaro Be Going NASCAR Racing?

Full Article:

Changes To Come - Yahoo

Excerpt from Article:

According to a manufacturer source, NASCAR officials have floated one solution to the apparent problem to the series' manufacturers. It involves changing the cars that race in the series from the current models being run in the Nextel Cup Series to smaller, sportier ones.

The current Busch Series cars are slightly smaller versions of their Nextel Cup cousins. In the past, the Busch Series used makes of cars not used in the Cup series, as well as V-6 engines instead of Cup V-8s, but now the cars used in the two series are more alike.

If the two series ran cars that differed more from each other, it would greatly limit what Cup drivers and teams could learn in the Busch Series and apply to the next day's Cup race, thus making racing Busch a less attractive proposition.

A change back to smaller cars could have Chevrolet fielding the new retro Camaro (scheduled for 2009) and Dodge running its new Challenger (scheduled for 2008). Pontiac could return to NASCAR to run its new, smaller GTO, Ford would field its highly-successful redesigned retro Mustang, and Toyota could run a Celica or its future replacement.

Initial reaction among the manufacturers has been very positive.

Any changes would be instituted well after the new Car of Tomorrow is fully integrated into the Nextel Cup Series, which currently is scheduled to happen in 2009.

Back when the Elliotts were making all the Winston Cup Chevy guys look dumb with the 85 Thunderbird that turned out to be slicker and smaller than the other thunderbirds , some Chevy Guys suggested running Camaros , but the longer decklid of the Monte Carlo got more air to rear spoiler , and the fix was the 77 caprice rear window , which made the Aero coupe , which more than handled the T Bird

This was mntioned in a story in January. The MFG had no coment and NASCAR said they would be interested in a Mustang, Challanger, Camaro rivalry but also noted they would have to see how things work out if I recall how it read.

I would love to see a start up of a stock base road race series much like Trans Am was in the late 60's.

SCCA TRANS AM!!!!!!!!!!

Forget Nascar - purpose-built race cars with no manufacturer DNA just makes me want to :puke:

Once upon a time, they really were based on stock cars and the manufacturers really meant something. But now Nascar is something else entirely and manufacturer involvement is little more than money. We're not talking about Richard Petty and his contemporaries running hot versions of Detroit's latest iron anymore, the Nascar of today is just a huge cash machine.

Guest YellowJacket894

SCCA TRANS AM!!!!!!!!!!

Forget Nascar - purpose-built race cars with no manufacturer DNA just makes me want to :puke:

Once upon a time, they really were based on stock cars and the manufacturers really meant something. But now Nascar is something else entirely and manufacturer involvement is little more than money. We're not talking about Richard Petty and his contemporaries running hot versions of Detroit's latest iron anymore, the Nascar of today is just a huge cash machine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen.

NASCAR today is nothing but an advertisment going at 202 MPH in one huge circle. Hey, someone tell them if I wanted to see one huge ad go around in circles for awhile, I'd rip a few pages out of "Consumer Reports" (since they do advertise nothing but Honda and Toyota crap), bunch them up into little balls, and flush them down the toilet.

Ok, maybe I need to help everybody out here a bit. The Nextel Cup Series (what most people think of when you say NASCAR) will still run large coupe/sedan models. They are developing a new car right now that will be much larger and more boxy than the current one.

The Busch Series (which is usually on tv on saturdays) currently runs cars that are just a tad smaller than cup cars are right now....... NASCAR wants to run the pony cars in this series. At least, thats what the article says.

Might as well forget the story, instead people have brain-farts and would rather spew their opinion on what NASCAR means to them.

As for the topic, there's some merit to the idea; however, the car of tomorrow was meant to be a clean slate where safety and handling concerns are primarily addressed. Why not just put that car in the Nextel Series races, and leave the current crop of cars in the Busch Series. Would that not manage to solve the problem?

Any way you look at it, you won't see manufacturer-spec bodies challenging each other. If that were to happen, it's quite likely we'd see dramatically reduced speeds since a stock body is nowhere near as aerodynamic as the current race car body.

isnt nascar going to be using the "car of tomorrow" for all of its racing?  basically the same car for all teams involved so who gives a crap what the call it.  Nascar is okay racing for what it is,  close "pack" racing that offers different characteristics or thrills, ie huge wrecks mostly or on occassion that thrilling fender bending photo finish if you sit through all 500 miles.  Much different than say alms, grand am  or scca type races.  now, if the camaro showed up in alms with the corvette, different classes obviously, then that might be interesting.  as for me as far as im concerned im indifferent towards the nascar type racing as it is now.  take it or leave it, theres only a couple of races that are worthwhile, bristol, daytona, atlanta and thats even pushing it sometimes.  pontiac should stick with the sports car prototypes.  As for the F1 thatd be tremendous if they could pull it off.  too bad it costs 50 mil just to show up.

The car of tomarrow was not inplay in the earlier story. NASCAR is looking for a way to revamp the Bush series with a car not like the Cup car.

The Idea is the Pony cars would be a draw in their own way and These cars would not sare anything with cup. The secondary idea is the Cup drivers that run Saturday are learn things they can use on the Cup car on Sunday. Well If they run cars not anything like the Cup cars there is nothing to learn and less would drive both series.

Either way this would not happen over night as ypu have to get the cars to market first, second make race cars out of them and finally get every thing else in place.

The Car of Tomarrow has been in the works for 5 years. so the Pony car deal will not happen soon.

IROC needs cars, they might see them first if they ever get used.

Pontiac is into road racing with the GTOR. I would expct to see them there with it first.

Edited by hyperv6

OK, I grew up on NASCAR. I understand what the article is discussing, and I used to enjoy Cup and Grand National racing. My earlier rant (above) stems from two things. First, I no longer enjoy NASCAR-style racing because of the way it is currently done. Secondly, from the new Pony/musclecar perspective I don't see a tie-in to NASCAR as a good thing for the production cars or the manufacturers.

OK, I grew up on NASCAR. I understand what the article is discussing, and I used to enjoy Cup and Grand National racing. My earlier rant (above) stems from two things. First, I no longer enjoy NASCAR-style racing because of the way it is currently done. Secondly, from the new Pony/musclecar perspective I don't see a tie-in to NASCAR as a good thing for the production cars or the manufacturers.

NASCAR started to fail for the long time fan in the late 80's. Marketing has taken over.

I think the car companies see the ratings and the marketing people see the exposure. Many in marketing could not tell you who David Pearson was and think they understand NASCAR.

As for NASCAR it is another way to make a buck.

It is not so much what is good for the car but what is good for the people and companies involved. The car is just a marketing tool now.

It come down to the all mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The last real NASCAR racing was Dale Earnhardt vs Tim Richmond on a real short track.

It would be cool to see the Camaro return to the IROC series.

You all will see the New Camaro, New Challenger, New Mustang and GTO racing in either one of 3 series Grand Am Cup, NASA American Iron or SCCA American Sedan series.

I want to be the first one in NASA American Iron to race the new Camaro.

Come on Chevrolet build theCamaro. I'm tired of gettin beat up by new Mustangs!!!!!

RayBob NASA AI #43 96SS

Its Coming Dudes

SWEET!!!!

I would like to support this if at all possible.

NASCAR is a crock.... Plain and simple. And I'm not so sure that I would want THAT image for the Camaro and CERTAINLY not Pontiac. (Unless NASCAR were to change quite a bit)

They now basically race a GENERIC car with generic drivers.

I used to enjoy both NASCAR and Busch (I still have family in the business) ESPECIALLY when the Busch cars were ACTUALLY different like they're supposed to be.

On a related note: How the hell is Toyota going to factor in to this?!?!? The CELICA replacment?!?!?! Last I heard, that wasn't RWD, V8 or large enough. But it is afterall Toyota... I'm SURE exceptions will be made and we'll all praise them for their amazing "less is more" approach while they dominate NASCAR.

TWO MORE RELATED ISSUES

1) I'd LOVE to see Pontiac do a Formula 1 team and 2) WHAT is Pontiac going to use to compete in the drifting series now? The Solstice I guess? I certainly hope they don't just pull out of the competition.

Good news! Can't wait to see it.

Shameless Plug:

You Dudes can see it now at a local road coarse. Its very similar to the old Trans Am Series.

Heres the link;

NASA American Iron Series

Oh BTW I got the mighty #43 out on the track last week to shake her down.

Posted Image

I hope Chevrolet will build a Z28R like ford did with the MustangR sooner than later.

Thanks Raybob NASA AI #43

Shameless Plug:

You Dudes can see it now at a local road coarse. Its very similar to the old Trans Am Series.

Heres the link;

NASA American Iron Series

Oh BTW I got the mighty #43 out on the track last week to shake her down.

Posted Image

I hope Chevrolet will build a Z28R like ford did with the MustangR sooner than later.

Thanks Raybob  NASA AI #43

An F-body in it's natural habitat. :yes::thumbsup:

NASA ? do they run all the events in Cape Kennedy ? I don't think participant driven race series are any competition for the Nextel cup series

Honestly Nascar stands are packed and the ratings are huge .

road racing is like masterbating , you like doing it , but no one likes to watch

In Nascar , all the the fans in the stands know the names of , in pro road racing , the racers know the names of all of the fans stands

Edited by PontiacTechNJ

NASA ? do they run all the events in Cape Kennedy ? I don't think participant driven race series are any competition for the Nextel cup series

Honestly Nascar stands are packed and the ratings are huge .

road racing is like masterbating , you like doing it , but no one likes to watch

In Nascar , all the the fans in the stands know the names of , in pro road racing , the racers know the names of all of the fans stands

Dude, with all respect Trans Am had a way bigger fan base in its hayday than NECKAR. I don't think that there still is the fan base in road racing that there once was but when the new Camaro and new Challenger are out and they are racing the Mustang we might get closer to the old days.

Don't expect anything NASA or SCCA does to get widespread coverage. SCCA had it's chance to make Rally racing big in the U.S. and the blew that opportunity. American Iron is an interesting class, but NASA rarely strives for mainstream coverage of anything. They as well as SCCA suffer from NHRAitis, whereby they create so many rules and divisions to race in an outsider says to hell with it and doesn't even bother trying to find a race.

SCCA would F*ck the whole thing up. NASA AI we have 9 pages of rules in SCCA AS has 35. Also in A sedan SCCA you have to run a 305 with a Carburator if you race a chevy because they still want that stupid old rule of 5 liter limit.

Anyway the whole thing is gonna get all the more interesting when The new Camaro and new Challenger get out to us racers.

Fact is NASCAR reaches more people more hours a week than any other motorsport in this country. Advertisers go to where people are watching. With Toyota and the new markets the stereo type is wearing thin [unless you go to Talladegas infield].

Trans AM is like all other road racing in this country a hard sell to the general public. Those here and myself love road racing because we understand it. But the general public just don't understand the road racing is technic where NASCAR is door to door close racing for 500 miles.

I would not be Suprised if the France Family don't bring in a GT series that would run under Grand Am. The MFG are all involved there already. I had my Doughts about the Daytona Prototype series but Jim France has got a good competitive series going. I would guess they could do the same here with the Pony cars.

The key is to make sure all makes of cars can win any given race, If one is dominate it will die a quick death. On dominate car has killed many series over the years, only F1 is able to get away with it.

But F1 has never gotten a good foot hold in the states because Americans want compitition here not stratagy or technology.

It is like football, if it is a good game most don't care who is playing.

and Toyota could run a Celica or its future replacement.

More like a Supra (the new concept). If everyone else is running larger sports cars, why would they run a compact FWD car?

On a sidenote, maybe Pontiac should try Formula 1. This will shut the Honda people up.

Ha! I would like to see a domestic join Formula 1, then maybe they'd show it more often on the Speed channel (instead of nascar). Plus, they can't do much worse than where Toyota is right now :ohyeah:

Fact is NASCAR reaches more people more hours a week than any other motorsport in this country. Advertisers go to where people are watching. With Toyota and the new markets the stereo type is wearing thin [unless you go to Talladegas infield].

Trans AM is like all other road racing in this country a hard sell to the general public. Those here and myself love road racing because we understand it. But the general public just don't understand the road racing is technic where NASCAR is door to door close racing for 500 miles.

I would not be Suprised if the France Family don't bring in a GT series that would run under Grand Am. The MFG are all involved there already. I had my Doughts about the Daytona Prototype series but Jim France has got a good competitive series going. I would guess they could do the same here with the Pony cars.

The key is to make sure all makes of cars can win any given race, If one is dominate it will die a quick death. On dominate car has killed many series over the years, only F1 is able to get away with it.

But F1 has never gotten a good foot hold in the states because Americans want compitition here not stratagy or technology.

It is like football, if it is a good game most don't care who is playing.

I think that if the France family/Nascar add to the Grand Am Cup a GT series that put the American Pony Cars on road courses it would be Popular, but never as popular as NASCAR. Lets face it NASCAR is all marketing and thats why us real car guy types don't usually watch alot of it. Me and my friends and family still get together to watch the rednecks at the 2 road courses. That is good racing.....

I think the reason the old Trans Am did well with the fans was the realness of the cars that were racing. The fans could relate to a Camaro racing a mustang because that was happening on Main St. USA. If the Pony car wars came around again and the racing media marketed it right we could possible see the old TA racing again. 8)

I think that if the France family/Nascar add to the Grand Am Cup a GT series that put the American Pony Cars on road courses it would be Popular, but never as popular as NASCAR. Lets face it NASCAR is all marketing and thats why us real car guy types don't usually watch alot of it. Me and my friends and family still get together to watch the rednecks at the 2 road courses. That is good racing.....

I think the reason the old Trans Am did well with the fans was the realness of the cars that were racing. The fans could relate to a Camaro racing a mustang because that was happening on Main St. USA. If the Pony car wars came around again and the racing media marketed it right we could possible see the old TA racing again.  8)

What made the original TA series was the realness of the cars and the factory support.

What ever new series might come it will fail unless the factories really back it. All of them.