Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Tell us: Can 'Chevy Runs Deep' tagline recapture the heartbeat?

Tell us: Can 'Chevy Runs Deep' tagline recapture the heartbeat?

08:41 AM

Chevrolet has had killer ad slogans that tug the heartstrings of America and play up Chevy's heritage: "Baseball, Hot, Dogs, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet," "The Heartbeat of America" and " See the USA in your Chevrolet" are three unforgettables.

A new batch of ads aired in the World Series last night, new GM marketing chief Joel Ewanick and Chevy's new ad agency showd they plan to keep flogging the nostalgia. New campaign's tagline: "Chevy Runs Deep."

Tell us what you think -- or suggest your own Chevy tagline by hitting the comment button at left.

Ewanick, in presenting the campaign yesterday, stressed he thinks Chevy's long heritage is a key marketing edge -- and that the Series was the perfect stage for the ad debut. "The World Series is a defining piece of American culture," he said. "It has a story, a soul and a connection to every generation – just like Chevrolet. You can't get a better fit than Chevy and baseball."

But the tagline? "Chevy Runs Deep" sounds a little like Chevrolet makes torpedoes. And while the ads' emotional appeal is strong, younger buyers' Chevy memories from the past few decades may be, well, forgetable. Nobody in the "first Chevys" ad had a used Vega; none of the ad "babies" go home in a Malibu Classic.

The campaign's 60-second brand "anthem" spot -- that's it above -- looks at 100 years of Chevys as well as current models. And the just-out Cruze and soon-out Volt do get prominent play. The new "voice of Chevrolet," Tim Allen, does the words.

But Chevy has a growing core of competitive, buzzworthy new models, so why not more no-apologies, in-your-face ads like the one below, Cruze's feature-laden "We're going hunting. It's Civic season." Tagline: "Get Used to More."

What do you think?

link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/10/chevy-digs-deep-for-new-ad-slogan/1

I don't like it, it isn't catchy, memorable and doesn't even make much sense. I think it will be a short lived slogan.

It doesn't make sense and it seems tedious. The "Anthem" ad could have been good but that moronic tagline kills it.

The premise of the "First Chevy" ad was actually really good- but the execution is off, almost like the threw it together on an intrusive deadline... and then of course that tagline. While it's true that owning a Chevy gets under your skin, it could have been a better commercial.

While I like the concept ... I don't like the message.

What? We're supposed to believe that Ch#$r%*et NOW wants to celebrate its heritage?

Please ... if that's the case, they need to do some serious apologizing for some stuff they've done as of late ... such as the 1980s Toyota Nova/Ch#$r%*et Corolla ... and slapping other heritage nameplates onto FWD vehicles. Ch#$r%*et has already abandoned its heritage and many of its enthusiasts.

Besides, as I've been told, Ch#$r%*et is in the business of selling NEW cars, not supporting/remembering its heritage. So, why bother now?

*shrugs*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Who's gonna hold me tonight?" ... Trace Adkins ... 'Help Me Understand'

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.