Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Edmunds Full Test, ES350

pow

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...cleId=109687#12

Still not a chromed-up Camry

Posted Image

By Josh Jacquot Email

Date posted: 03-20-2006

If being noticed is your thing, the 2007 Lexus ES 350 isn't the car for you. It disappears into Southern California's mass of suburbia like a Caprice in Detroit. It's not an image car. So Newport Ned, all blue chips, high horsepower and big ego, won't want one. But his mother, Newport Nancy, probably will. She's more concerned with comfort than visibility, more worried about the way the journey feels than being noticed at the destination. She's practical, enjoys a smooth ride, an agreeable seat, the perfect temperature and easy listening.

If you're anything like Newport Nancy, then Lexus' ES 350 is your car. This Camry-based sedan traditionally combines the practical attributes of its less-expensive sibling with luxury features that make a Lexus a Lexus. The new car continues that convention.

From the outside, the ES 350 is completely updated. Its body has a slicker shape with a longer hood and shorter rear deck. It's a mild departure from the relatively conservative lines we've become used to in the Lexus lineup. Dimensional changes designed to increase usability and performance accompany the new body. There's also a new engine, transmission and multiple safety features designed to keep Nancy as secure as she is comfortable.

Changes for the better

Lexus was smart about increasing the ES's usability without making the car unwieldy. The new car hasn't grown in overall length, but its wheelbase is up 2.2 inches (to 109.3 inches) over the previous ES.

The platform, which is tweaked in size rather than fully redesigned, has reduced overhangs and more space for the doors, which eases ingress and egress. Overall width is up only 0.39 inch while the track width increases by 1.2 inches, producing a proportionally larger footprint. These new dimensions put the ES securely in the realm of other midsize players like the Nissan Maxima, Saab 9-5 and Volvo S80.

Despite the longer wheelbase, Lexus wasn't able to defy physics with the ES. It might be easier to get in and out, but interior space is almost identical to that of the old car. In fact, front legroom is the same as the previous ES and rear legroom is increased only 0.3 inch. It's also heavy. At 3,580 pounds the ES bears no small burden on its powertrain.

New powertrain, better performance

Under the hood there's an updated 3.5-liter V6 good for 272 hp and 254 lb-ft of torque. The dual-overhead-cam design utilizes four valves per cylinder controlled by variable valve timing hardware. This latest version of VVT-i adjusts timing on both the intake and exhaust cams, which increases power and fuel economy while reducing emissions.

There's also a new six-speed automatic transmission which delivers the power to the front wheels and is smaller, using 20 percent fewer parts than the previous five-speed. Shifts can be manually controlled using the sequential-style sport shifter. The tranny also adjusts shifts to account for engine conditions, driving habits and component wear.

In measured testing, the ES's newfound power paid off. Mash the throttle and there's no denying that it has significant thrust for a luxury sedan. Despite its rather hefty curb weight, the ES hit 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and went on to record a quarter-mile time of 15.2 seconds at 94.6 mph. That's only 0.2 second slower than the Acura TL, a decidedly sportier car.

Even during maximum acceleration with the throttle pinned and the tranny fluidly linking gears, you're reminded this is a luxury car. It's exceptionally quiet, engine noise is barely perceptible and there's virtually no road discord. Drive like a normal human being, and you'll be in one of the quietest environments we've tested during a 70-mph cruise (67.5 decibels).

Chassis changes

Little has changed about the fundamental suspension design of the 350 — it still uses struts front and rear. The previous car's Adaptive Variable Suspension option is replaced by conventional dampers tuned to meet a specific comfort/performance trade-off.

It works. On the road, the ES has noticeably better ride control than we expected. Even over small rises at triple-digit speeds it maintains composure. There's a subtle but controlled frequency to its chassis pitch which strikes the precise balance a car in this class should have. It is exactly what it claims to be: a perfect compromise between the couchlike driving experience of an American luxury car and the well-damped ride of a Japanese sport sedan.

Seven-spoke 17-inch wheels come standard with the ES, but our test car was fitted with the optional graphite-finish 10-spokers which come with the ultraluxury package. Each wheel on our test car wore a 215/55-R17 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 all-season tire. Summer tires are available on the standard wheels.

Through the slalom, the ES's weight was obvious, and body roll was abundant on its way to a 60.9-mph pass. That's slower than most cars its size, but faster than the last Toyota Avalon and Buick Lacrosse we tested.

The ES 350 is fitted with four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution. Featuring 11.7-inch front rotors and aluminum rear calipers, the ES brakes hauled the sedan down from 60 mph in 123 feet — a respectable number for a car in this class.

The Lexus cocoon

Inside the ES is a combination of indulgent shapes and textures that are as functional as they are pampering. There's real walnut trim in the center console and door panels, and optionally, on the steering wheel. Leather, which is added with the premium package, is available in three colors: Cashmere, Light Gray or Black.

The ES has perhaps the most functional ventilated seats we've experienced. If you're buying this car for its luxury features, go all the way and get these seats. Their leather is the most flowing, ductile material we've ever experienced in a car seat. Its perforations allow cooling air a direct shot at the target, making them as functional as they sound. Seat heaters were also great at quickly and evenly warming the goods on cool mornings.

Ten-way adjustability makes finding the right driving position easy. But in a car like the ES, it's the details that matter. Our test car was fitted with the power cushion extender which increases or decreases the length of the seat bottom cushion underneath the thighs, allowing support for both long- and short-legged drivers. As if that wasn't enough, the ES can link seat position to two different key fobs. Using this feature, position is automatically adjusted according to which key fob is used to access the car — another example of custom tailoring.

Even with the pamper factor in overdrive, Lexus hasn't lost sight of Camry-like usability and safety. There are eight standard airbags hidden in the cabin plus two optional side airbags for the rear seats. The shifter is a familiar Toyota job that's housed in walnut trim. Gauges are straightforward and easy to read, with an 8,000-rpm tachometer on the left and a 160-mph speedometer on the right. Still, the ES doesn't share a single dash panel or material with its less expensive Toyota sibling.

A new standard

If you ask Newport Ned he'll tell you that Lexus isn't the world's most exciting carmaker. He's right, because the new ES isn't going to blow you away with insane speed or outrageous curves. What it will do, however, is up the ante for other manufacturers competing in the segment. It offers more power, more convenience and more luxury than the car it replaces, and it should have an almost identical base price.

As of this writing Lexus hasn't announced official pricing for the ES 350 although the outgoing ES 330 starts at $32,300. "Expect little change in the base price," said John Hanson, Toyota's national manager of product communications. "There will be higher-priced option packages, however."

An ES 330 equipped similarly to our 2007 Lexus ES 350 test car will set you back $37,925. When the cars arrive in April, we predict you'll be able to get a car like our tester for less than $40,000. And that's about what Nancy wants to spend.

They've already managed a full test on the 'just released' ES350, but not the released in November'05 Lucerne. They've even managed a full test on the Hyundai Azera.

Oh well. We'll see it come now, and it will be compared to cars released after it, but reviewed before it.

* She's more concerned with comfort than visibility

* more worried about the way the journey feels than being noticed at the destination.

* She's practical, enjoys a smooth ride, an agreeable seat, the perfect temperature and easy listening.

* This Camry-based sedan traditionally combines the practical attributes of its less-expensive sibling with luxury features that make a Lexus a Lexus.

* the new ES isn't going to blow you away with insane speed or outrageous curves.

* It offers more power, more convenience and more luxury than the car it replaces

* it should have an almost identical base price.

How come the above-mentioned attributes can be acceptable and desirable for Lexus... when Buick has been using this exact same formula for decades?

Every quality mentioned above can be applied to the Lucerne when comparing it to LeSabre or even Park Avenue. Is it ever conveyed in that tone? With that level of understanding? Never.

I'm not saying that the only qualities Buick has are the qualities mentioned, but those particular qualities get knocked the most.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see when Lexus makes a full-size DTS-like car and the autorags will act like the Lexus was a breakthrough in luxury. Meanwhile, the DTS/Deville mastered that segment 20 years. The ES is nice but, when will Caddy get an Epsilon sedan to take on the unrebuked ES. Yes, the TL & MKZ aren't giving the ES an easy time but, the BTS will hurt the ES real bad.

I sat in a ES350, and it's a decent place to be. The center stack isn't so bizarre in person. There's a good chance I'll get to drive one of these as a dealer loaner when I take my IS in for service in a couple of months. The last ES was too floaty, but was a nice ride otherwise.

lexus ES are quintissential rich old chick cars.  that and RX's......

They seem to have, like the Camry, a pretty broad demographic... I know an ES owner that's a 30 yr old guy, and 3 RX owners--one is a 31 yr old guy, the other a 38 yr old guy, another that's a 35 yr old woman.

They've already managed a full test on the 'just released' ES350, but not the released in November'05 Lucerne. They've even managed a full test on the Hyundai Azera.

Oh well. We'll see it come now, and it will be compared to cars released after it, but reviewed before it. 

How come the above-mentioned attributes can be acceptable and desirable for Lexus... when Buick has been using this exact same formula for decades?

Every quality mentioned above can be applied to the Lucerne when comparing it to LeSabre or even Park Avenue. Is it ever conveyed in that tone? With that level of understanding? Never.

I'm not saying that the only qualities Buick has are the qualities mentioned, but those particular qualities get knocked the most.

Probably because the ES350 actually realizes these qualities. I just don't think a discerning, middle-aged woman will find the Lucerne particularly luxurious, IMO.

I'm no fan of the ES, but I've got to hand it to Toyota/Lexus for so masterfully pulling the wool over so many consumers eyes over the last 15 or so years. The ES is the perfect example of when badge engineering goes very, very right.

I've always found Lexus to be totally unappealing, the brand always seemed somehow... dishonest. Now I'm not much for luxury cars in general, but Lexus would be at the very bottom of my list. I would absolutely choose an Infiniti over the big "L" if I had to stick to Japanese makes. Infiniti always struck me as a brand that had its own identity at least. Lexus always pegged my bull$h! meter in the red zone. The brand is a great Pretender, if it's not pretending to be a Mercedes, it's pretending to not be a Camry. I just can't imagine someone plunking down 40k for this car. My first impression of it is that it's cross-eyed. My second is that it is as bland as a Camry. To each their own, but this does nothing for me.

I've always found Lexus to be totally unappealing, the brand always seemed somehow... dishonest. Now I'm not much for luxury cars in general, but Lexus would be at the very bottom of my list. I would absolutely choose an Infiniti over the big "L" if I had to stick to Japanese makes. Infiniti always struck me as a brand that had its own identity at least. Lexus always pegged my bull$h! meter in the red zone. The brand is a great Pretender, if it's not pretending to be a Mercedes, it's pretending to not be a Camry.  I just can't imagine someone plunking down 40k for this car. My first impression of it is that it's cross-eyed. My second is that it is as bland as a Camry. To each their own, but this does nothing for me.

Hmm...crosseyed...maybe that's why it looks so odd. Better call in the surgen! I agree that if I had to choose a Japanese luxry brand Infiniti would get my vote. Real RWD performance cars that can really handle. I hope that coupe concept goes into production unchanged cuz it looked great.

I've always found Lexus to be totally unappealing, the brand always seemed somehow... dishonest. Now I'm not much for luxury cars in general, but Lexus would be at the very bottom of my list. I would absolutely choose an Infiniti over the big "L" if I had to stick to Japanese makes. Infiniti always struck me as a brand that had its own identity at least. Lexus always pegged my bull$h! meter in the red zone. The brand is a great Pretender, if it's not pretending to be a Mercedes, it's pretending to not be a Camry.  I just can't imagine someone plunking down 40k for this car. My first impression of it is that it's cross-eyed. My second is that it is as bland as a Camry. To each their own, but this does nothing for me.

Hmm...crosseyed...maybe that's why it looks so odd. Better call in the surgen! I agree that if I had to choose a Japanese luxry brand Infiniti would get my vote. Real RWD performance cars that can really handle. I hope that coupe concept goes into production unchanged cuz it looked great.

I don't like Lexus' new trend of attaching the door mirrors on the door like the Corvette, instead of at the base of the window. The just put a black spot where the mirror should be.

Agreed. I say this knowing my car his mirrors like that, but IMO it fits the style of the car. These don't. Also, why the massive mirrors, Lexus?

I'm seriously underwhelmed.....as I have been of all ES models Lexus has produced.

The interior just looks plain WIERD to me (albeit executed with top-notch materials, switchgear, and fit-and-finish.)

As usual, I'd take a NEW Camry SE V6 loaded instead of ponying up the extra cash for the ES...

I felt that way about the previous generation Camry and ES and I feel that way about the new generations...

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

HEY TOYOGUY YOU ARE A f@#kING MORON

THOSE PICTURES ARE OF A f@#kING LS460

MODS PLEASE BAN HIM

THANK YOU

-LAT

The outside mirrors are placed away from the body to decrease wind noise.

It's fun to call the ES a rebadged Camry, but everything about the car is upgraded that you're not just paying for a different nameplate.

LS460 pricing

BASE ES 350 (Includes Destination, Trunk Mat, Wheel

Locks & Cargo Mat) $34,059

PM

PREMIUM PACKAGE-

Includes Leather Seats; Key Fob-Activated Front

Driver’s Seat, Steering Wheel and Exterior Mirror Memory $1,280

NV

Lexus Premium Audio w/ Navigation-Lexus Generation 5 Navigation

System w/ Voice Recognition and Voice-Activated Wireless Bluetooth

Hands-Free System $2,650

PT

PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE-Includes PREMIUM PACKAGE plus Key

Fob-Activated Front Passenger’s Seat, Heated and Ventilated Front Seats

w/ Power Cushion Extender and Rain Sensing Wipers $2,480

UL

ULTRA LUXURY PACKAGE-Includes PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE plus

Panorama Glass Roof, Perforated Leather Seats, Power Rear sunshade,

Wood and Leather Steering Wheel and Shift Knob, Rear Side Airbag, High-

Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) w/ Adaptive Front Lighting System

(AFS), Unique 17” Alloy Wheel with 215/55R17 Tire and Spare $5,380

VN

NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON PACKAGE-Includes Lexus Generation 5

Navigation System w/ Voice Recognition, 14-Speaker AM/FM Tuner w/

Cassette and 6-Disc In-Dash CD/DVD Changer and Voice-Activated

Wireless Bluetooth Hands-Free System $4,050

HL

High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting

System (AFS) $815

HH Heated and Ventilated Front Seats $640

PA Intuitive Parking Assist $500

FS Full Size Spare Tire w/ Alloy Wheel $205

WU Wood/Leather-trimmed Steering Wheel and Shift Knob $330

HN Power Rear Sunshade $210

DC

Bluetooth Audio-Voice-Activated Wireless Bluetooth Hands-Free System $300

FJ N/C

215/55R17 Summer Tires

Factory combinations

DC-FJ-FS-PM-WU $36,174

DC-FJ-FS-HH-HN-PM-WU $37,024

FJ-FS-HL-HN-NV-PT-WU $40,749

PA-UL-VN $43,989

Edited by toyoguy

The outside mirrors are placed away from the body to decrease wind noise.

It's fun to call the ES a rebadged Camry, but everything about the car is upgraded that you're not just paying for a different nameplate.

I guess one could call it a rebadged Camry in the same sense the LaCrosse is a rebadged Impala. But they are two different models on the same platform..'rebadged' is the wrong label in either example..

Anyway, that black LS460 looks goregous...

I don't like Lexus' new trend of attaching the door mirrors on the door like the Corvette, instead of at the base of the window. The just put a black spot where the mirror should be.

I like the door mirrors attached to the door like that..looks more substantial and looks better than the 'mirror growing out of the A-pillar base' look that so many cars have, IMHO.

toyoguy is the biggest moron i ever seen in my life

Uh dude, before you call people morons, you should get your grammar right...because then it makes you look like a moron. :lol:

However I do agree with you, either toyoguy is doing this to be a smartass or he really is an idiot.