Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Cadillac ATS Sedan First To Market In 2012, V-Series Coming

Report: Cadillac ATS Sedan First To Market In 2012, V-Series Coming

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

October 29th, 2010

It's good to have sources in this business, and GM Inside News has some of the best GM sources around. The fruits of their friendships? A timeline on when each of the different Cadillac ATS body styles will be released--and a solid hint at a V-Series version.

The first ATS out of the gate will be the ATS sedan, coming in 2012, followed nine months later by the coupe as a 2014 model. The convertible will again have a nine-month gestation period before arriving midway through the 2014 model year. But the biggie, the V-Series, isn't due until 2015.

According to the repor, standard ATS models will sport an all-new four-banger as the base engine, with a V-6 available. But the ATS-V is expected to carry forward the V-8 tradition. Whether it'll be a supercharged 556-plus horsepower monster isn't yet known, but here's hoping it is.

Interstingly absent from the list is a wagon version of the ATS, which has long been rumored to be part of the plan. Perhaps GM has decided a compact wagon will be too low-volume to make the cut, or perhaps details on its release date simply haven't made it through the crack in the dam yet.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1050979_report-cadillac-ats-sedan-first-to-market-in-2012-v-series-coming

A few predictions:-

• The four-banger will be a low boost 2.0T with somewhere between around 250~278 hp & 250~258 lb-ft
  • The V6 is a 3.6 DI V6 with about 300~315hp & 270~283 lb-ft to give it sufficient differentiation from the I4
  • The ATS-V will get a 5.5~6.2 liter V8 making 420~470hp and 400~438 lb-ft
  • The I4 and V6 numbers are matched to the capacity of the 6L45, 6L50 & 6L80 transmissions respectively.
  • The ATS-V is being delayed to 2015 to wait on the C7's Gen Pushrod V8 featureing dual VVT, AFM, DI and (possibly) VVL
  • The ATS-V is NA like the base Vette, with the SC version of the engine reserved for the CTS-V and Z06

When will photos start getting leaked? This must be a late 2012 launch considering its almost 2011 already.

Edited by SoCalCTS

I'm not so sure about the V8 as much as I might prefer it, I think Cadillac is more likely to go with a Turbo V6.

I am inclined to agree with you. If Europe is one of the main destinations of the ATS, the V would be a smaller force induced motor. However, the time line given by motor authority is too off the charts, 2015 for a V, seriously?

I would expect a wagon if they plan to go to Europe. Now the question is will they keep it in America too or are they waiting to see if thing improve with the CTS wagon. As of now I just see so few of them they can't be selling too well.

Nine months til coupe, another 9 til convertible, and more time until ATS-V seems too slow. They said a similar thing about the CTS, and the coupe was 3 years after the sedan. When BMW makes a 3-series, the sedan comes first, coupe, convertible, and M models are all out within 12 months. Mercedes got an E-class, sedan, coupe, convertible, wagon and AMG car out in 12 months, I don't see why it takes GM 3 years to do this.

Why worry about the ATS is that it will have short comings, and in the spirit of GM, they will just cram a big V8 in there and hope no one notices the flaws. A six cylinder 5-series is getting 32 mpg now. I think a 6-cylinder ATS better be pushing over 30 mpg. If they put a 2.0 Turbo pumping out 220 hp and 28 mpg highway, they are dead in the water right out of the gate.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook