Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Have you voted yet?

Camino LS6

Get used to it, most eligible voters don't vote, we're a low turnout democracy. And when you think about it, the non-voters really are mindless sheeple. Instead of taking a little time to look at the issues and vote, they just abstain. They're doing a disservice to their neighbors and the democratic system as a whole.

It seems to me that the 'mindless sheeple' are the people who continue to partake in a scenario in which their needs are never met (and, at least since the 70s, haven't even been a concern)

These people have their power because those sheeple BUILD their careers for them. What would politicians do if not for talking up their agendas non-stop and receiving 'contributions' from people who will listen. Even if a politician is sincere (And I'll let you in on a secret here that many of you wouldn't guess, that's why I supported Obama, because I thought he was sincere) the system is so corrupt that we can't fix it. No man can, in 4 years, right even half of the wrongs accumulated over the last 30 years. And then, when one considers that at least 2 years of that 4 years is spent trying to guarantee said persons career path for 4 more years, it becomes really impossible.

Like all of the other empires, we will be here for our allotted time and no more.

Really, what I do could just be considered sound business... If a roofer comes to my house, talks about a grandiose slate roof that he's going to build with my help and takes my money and never returns, why on earth would I schedule yet another job with that roofer 4 years later?

My needs were not met, so I have no reason to support that roofing company.

Apathy is a bitch at first. But once enough people are apathetic enough for the wave of support to stop, the elites on top will tumble down. Now I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, if ever. But the point is still the same.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Disagree 3

Again; as long as YOUR government has it's hands in my pocket and dictates the way I live, I have every right in the world to bitch. Voting is useless, because it WILL NOT change the way I exist or the way your government INTERFERES with my life. How much has your standard of living improved in the last 30... 20... 10... Even 5 years because of what you wrote on that ballot. Those people (the elite) are so far removed from the way normal people exist that it is impossible for them to understand.

I have to agree with the basics of this, and especially the bolded part- because it's so typically & absolutely true.

As far as the 'uselessness' of voting, I too have felt that way at times, but I rank the duty/ responsibility/ right of voting above the too frequent 'uselessness' of it in many cases, and will continue to do so.

People get so caught up in federal stuff that they forget state and local races have a far greater impact on their daily lives. Not voting because of Washington has a large impact on your city, county and state.1 person out of 5 million in a statewide race isn't that big of a deal, buy one person in a town of 500 (or whatever) wields a lot of power. I remember a bond issue in a small town in Missouri passing 22-20. A couple apathetic voters showing up would have changed everything.

• Agree 3

"Election Day is next Tuesday. According to a new poll, one out of three voters is still undecided. It's a tough choice. Do you vote for the people who got us into this mess, or the people who can't get us out of this mess?" - Jay Leno

I see Carlos Mencia has been writing jokes for Leno, more or less.

"We have a two party system: the Democratic Party, which is a party of no ideas, and the Republican Party, which is a party of bad ideas." - Lewis Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGlVhss6Gr4

Well, the essence is the same.