New Camry LE (run-of-the-mill version) revealed

Variance

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no one's claiming the Impala's is the Holy Grail of automotive interiors. No one's calling the Camry's interior crap, they're just pointing out some flaws they think it has.

I'm not too sure about that.

Posted Image

IMO, new Camry's interior is best in class, GM's interiors aren't even close.

Posted Image

at least the damn clock is seperate from the stereo display

just noticed the carpeting is also on par w/the Cutlass

if GM doesn't get their cars together soon, their problems will only get worse.

Toyoguy, I could tell you're a guy that does his homework.

I agree with you on allot of things. This is a GM-fan board with some people wearing GM-glasses or overdosed on the Kool-Aid. Being good friends with a devoted GM-guy, I see why he loves GM. He admits the quality is not up there, however he looks at it from a design standpoint. Some of the posts are just silly, people are using every excuse to dis the Camry. You're right that interiors are horrible, the G6 is a dissappointment, and the Lucurne is just awful, for what you get for the money. No wonder I'm seeing more Avalons than Lucurnes. You get such a better car for almost the same money. GM's styling has great potential, but have you ever seen that movie the 6th day about the clones? When the clones are being developed, but at the end he comes out only 75% complete? That is what I see problem with the GM lineup. It looks like they were designing a great car, but then they released it half-baked. As though the design team pulled the plug 77.8% into it.

No wonder I'm seeing more Avalons than Lucurnes.  You get such a better car for almost the same money. 

I'm sure that the new Avalon having almost 1 year of extra sales doesn't hurt either. :rolleyes:

And by the pics alone, I actually prefer the look of the LaCrosse over the Camry's interior. I don't see "quality" issues in the LaCrosse interior pic at all. The LaCrosse's carpet also looks on par with the Camry, so I don't even get toyoguy's point there.

I've said it before along with many other people here who have sat in the new Camry... it photographs well, but it's a let down in person.

Toyoguy... and how many Toyotas again offer multiple choices in fabric? :rolleyes:

and this is supposed to compete w/an Accord.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dude, you took the '05 interior, which is the worse of the two years. '05 interiors receive worse materials.

Read my article and see the pics there: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6875

Again, there IS a difference between the pricing of the G6 and the Accord, not to mention the Camry.

There is a balance to everything. You can't expect to have something for nothing.

I'm not too sure about that.

Posted Image

IMO, new Camry's interior is best in class, GM's interiors aren't even close.

Posted Image

at least the damn clock is seperate from the stereo display

just noticed the carpeting is also on par w/the Cutlass

if GM doesn't get their cars together soon, their problems will only get worse.

[/quote

Whats that gap half way up the center stack in the Camry, a storage spot for change? Wow so impressive. The cut lines and gaps in this interior are unreal. I know because I actually have sat in several! The LaCrosse interior fits together noticeably better with less lines in the floor console and center stack. Also your comment about fabric is interesting because Toyota uses the same mouse fur type fabric as the Impala and LaCrosse making that an invalid comment. And dragging the Impala in here to compare to the Camry interior is absurd because this post was making fun of the 07 Camry's pig like fat arse and nose, fugly as sin styling, bland as hell styling that even current Camry owners are admitting to and smaller trunk and interior. Oh what a feeling! :rolleyes:

I don't see a difference in the carpeting between the Lacross and Camry.

I like the interior of the Lacross better then the Camry.

The Camry's interior is ok <except for that center console allignment thing>, but I wouldn't call it best in class. Personally I think Passat takes best in class currently.

Nice harsh light real world shot vs. a professional shot done in a photo studio.

Doesn't change the fact that the Camry's gauges, at least the gauges in all but the SE and Hybrid models, is just as plain jane as the Impalas in every trim but SS.

I mean, yeah, Impala's gauges are ho-hum. But...so are the Camrys.

Doesn't change the fact that the Camry's gauges, at least the gauges in all but the SE and Hybrid models, is just as plain jane as the Impalas in every trim but SS. 

I mean, yeah, Impala's gauges are ho-hum.  But...so are the Camrys.

Posted Image

I don't see it.

At an auto show, too.

I should have taken a picture of what I could do with the Lucerne's dash.  A lot scarier.

Yes, you should have. I don't think this was from being at an auto show, all the Camrys there did it. It's a flaw in the fit and finish of the interior, and last I checked all Camry interiors have the same design.

Nice harsh light real world shot vs. a professional shot done in a photo studio.

LOL, that's funny because 99% of the time amature photographers take better photos than GM's "professionals."

Don't see what? That it's pretty damn boring?

I don't consider the Impala's gauge cluster equivalent to the Toyota's

boring is far more subjective, than a quality appearance

The Camry is perfectly positioned to remain #1 on the sales charts.

Edited by toyoguy

I noticed at least one new Camry (there may have been more) at the Toyota dealer in Sarnia this afternoon, but I didn't bother to check it out. Maybe next week. I'll be sure to bring my Camera!

From what I recall from checking out the Camry at the Autoshow, I thought that the Camry interior was of poorer quality than the current-gen. Accord. It reminds me of these modern LCD TV's and PCs with all the drives and USB ports hidden behind covers. Sure, they look good now, but, in a couple years, they'll be yesterday's news and will be falling apart. For people who are mesmerized by knobs that glow with a soft blue hue and a centre stack with asymmetrical ease-of-use, the Camry will delight. But I just didn't feel the quality was there.

Edited by Petra

At least the Camry uses an LCD, instead of green dots to form a display.

And you changed the subject. Housewives (read: my ma) always do that when they can't win over one subject :P

The "green dots" you're talking about is actually a dot-matrix LCD, which is more expensive than the ones one the Camry taken from alphanumeric pagers.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Why is a clock that's separate from the radio an indication of quality now? I've always associated it with cheapness, as the radio manufacturer didn't have the knowhow to run both the clock and the radio in the same readout. In any case, as long as the clock is visible when you need it, who the hell cares where it is?

I really think that we're splitting hairs now. I guess it's good in a way, since we now have to split hairs to compare a GM's quality to a Toyota's. I'm not a fan of the new Camry at all, for the same reason I've always hated the Camry. The design does not appeal to me. Fortunately for us we're living in a time where you're no more likely to buy an inferior automobile from GM than you are from anyone else in America, Asia, or Europe.

At an auto show, too.

I should have taken a picture of what I could do with the Lucerne's dash.  A lot scarier.

Well, why don't you tell us what you DID do to the Lucrne dash, not what you think you COULD HAVE done. Northie actually did it and has evidence...no childish comeback from him :rolleyes:

to add more fuel to this fire

here's what the piece of crap base model G6 looks like from the performance division....exciting design, my ass

Posted Image

yes, the camry's base wheels are unexciting, but toyota is not claiming these cars are anything but reliable, quality, sophisticated transportation machines. malibu cannot claim these except for reliable. quality and sophistication are not its virtues, sorry malibu owners.

lest we forget this gross machine......the '05 model had nice base wheels and ugly base wheels, i think these are the ugly ones. the newer '06 has nice base wheels i believe, but this thing still made it to the road, yay GM!

Posted Image

buick makes somewhat of an effort, but this sedan's overall design is still a blight to Buick, and the wheels well don't do anything to negate the old person's image.

Posted Image

Edited by turbo200

I don't consider the Impala's gauge cluster equivalent to the Toyota's

boring is far more subjective, than a quality appearance

The Camry is perfectly positioned to remain #1 on the sales charts.

this is true, the camry's look professional. the impala's look like they were designed by children.

Here is a good illustration of the G-R-E-A-T fit and finish of the new Camry:

Posted Image

That's some great quality!

I always respect your posts, and you always show good reason. But come on, I could do this with half the interiors in the world! This is sounding like the desperate calls so many others here make when Toy/Lexus gets a recall. I don't care either way, it shouldn't happen on Toyotas and it shouldn't happen at GM. Given the history of both, and the quality standards at both in the past, which do you think this kind of thing would more likely happen? You're not going to convert any Toyota believers. And this is a simple anomaly, I can pretty much guarantee this wouldn't happen easily at a dealer, and if it did, too bad, i still wouldn't care, given i would have to be fuming at GM for the kind of behavior it has shown.

LOL, that's funny because 99% of the time amature photographers take better photos than GM's "professionals."

the pictured camry has lighting that makes it look flat and unappealing. the impala on the other hand has nice lighting for effect and shine. makes it look a whole lot more accommodating when trick lighting gives cool shadow and shine effects.

no worries, the camry still has much better quality and design presence.

If Toyota sold vehicles like this they'd be out of business

no upholstery on doors

Posted Image

Posted Image

nice choice in fabrics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

who supplies these mismatched plastics Rubbermaid?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I’ve owed 1980’s toys w/better display readouts

Posted Image

gauges fitting of a 1990’s car

my vision's fine, maybe some here will find it beneficial to pay a visit to the local optometrist

beautiful post, and a resounding :pokeowned: to everyone else. this man speaks the truth. the plastics in the impala are clearly still rental grade, though they have come a great distance. the camry still looks like the gentleman's family car

What is going on with you people...Who cares if there is a gap between plastic!?!? Who gives a rats butt if the gauges are black or white ar blue?!? Honestly people, these aren't Bentley's...Don't expect much...

I think that all interiors have taken a downfall....now a days they all look bland and generic...

the pictured camry has lighting that makes it look flat and unappealing. the impala on the other hand has nice lighting for effect and shine. makes it look a whole lot more accommodating when trick lighting gives cool shadow and shine effects.

no worries, the camry still has much better quality and design presence.

Except for the green backing on the radio that looks like it came out of a shower radio.

And the fact that the trim pieces fall off.

Design presence is subjective. The Impala's is fine, the Camry's is fine. Matter of opinion. And illuminated gauges always, ALWAYS look better than day-time pictures. During the day, without illumination, there's nothing special about the Camry's gauge cluster. Just a flat piece of plastic with some numbers and needles. Woohoo!

Give me a break. Hell, the G6, Altima, and Mazda6 all have WAY better gauge clusters than both cars. At least there's some design to them.

Except for the green backing on the radio that looks like it came out of a shower radio.

And the fact that the trim pieces are ripped off.

Design presence is subjective.  The Impala's is fine, the Camry's is fine.  Matter of opinion.  And illuminated gauges always, ALWAYS look better than day-time pictures.  During the day, without illumination, there's nothing special about the Camry's gauge cluster.  Just a flat piece of plastic with some numbers and needles.  Woohoo!

Give me a break.  Hell, the G6, Altima, and Mazda6 all have WAY better gauge clusters than both cars.  At least there's some design to them.

I didn't rip the piece of the Camry interior off... this is a weird comparison, but it took the strength of a little baby to do it. I wouldn't have sat there trying to rip it off making myself look like an idiot in the middle of a bunch of people if it didn't just take a slight pull. Maybe Toyota will address the problem for production by putting a screw there to hold it on, but the only thing connecting it to the stack are those little extensions or whatever that stick out -- kind of like the little things that hold Hotwheels tracks together.

turbo - I'm sure you could rip pieces off lots of interiors off, but I think it would require a lot more effort than it took me to take the piece of the interior off. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if came loose on it's own if you were going over some bad potholes or a rough rode.

Here is a good illustration of the G-R-E-A-T fit and finish of the new Camry:

Posted Image

That's some great quality!

First impressions are important.

That is my first impression of the new Camry as well, when I did this at NAIAS:

Posted Image

I hope this is something that Toyota fixes. Polish_Kris and I are of to the Ottawa Autoshow today. Ill be checking those center stacks. :lol::rolleyes:

First impressions are important.

That is my first impression of the new Camry as well, when I did this at NAIAS:

Posted Image

I hope this is something that Toyota fixes. Polish_Kris and I are of to the Ottawa Autoshow today. Ill be checking those center stacks. :lol:  :rolleyes:

O SNAP!

Wow...even the shift knob is gone... :thumbsup:

This car will sell. It is great transportation, looks nice but not exciting. It isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. They could have done better with the interior. I will stick with my Ford Fusion SEL V6.

After seeing the high-res pics of the Camry and Lucerne interiors that toyoguy posted, I'm even less impressed with the Camry's interior. It's so damn boring. The Lucerne has a nice mixture of color, warm wood, etc...the Camry has huge slabs of gray dash with nothing on them. I do like the look of the center stack of the Camry, but otherwise it's nothing special.

The look of the centre stack is interesting; however, to my taste, I don't like the bordering slabs along the side (the ones in question that seem to come off so easily); nor do I like the seemingly useless gill-pockets / holders on either side.

The styling is subjective, not exactly having what I'm looking for in a car. When it comes to picking out what I'd buy if I were in the market for a new car in this category, Honda's Accord changed for the worse on the outside (based on what I appreciate), but has a nice interior; and Toyota's Camry doesn't get any praise from me. There are other alternatives to look at; and they'd likely be the Impala, Lucerne, or Sonata...but hey, that's just me.

Oops, forgot to mention that there certainly are many more aspects to the car worth reviewing before making a judgement call on whether or not to explore buying one; however, if the styling alone is questionable to my taste, that's an instant scratch from my list.

The only question I have now is to ask if the styling is 'safe enough' for the people typically interested in the Camry? Or are they going to buy it, yet again, just because of the perceived quality, and take what it looks like, regardless of how it's changed? It appears to me that Toyota has taken an extreme turn on their styling safety.

Edited by ShadowDog