Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Camry LE (run-of-the-mill version) revealed

Variance

Really?  I'm pretty sure you're wrong. :rolleyes:

The base Impala has 50 more hp, more interior room, and both are within 1K of eachother pricewise.

Uh...well I sat in the interiors of the new Yaris and FJ at the auto show...and it wasn't pretty.  The base interior of the last Camry wasn't anything to write home about either.

Comeback! :pbjtime:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?  I'm pretty sure you're wrong. :rolleyes:

The base Impala has 50 more hp, more interior room, and both are within 1K of eachother pricewise.

I'm pretty sure he was indicating do NOT compare the two in those regards, but in their interiors. That's his point I believe.

I must applause the camry on the texture of it's plastics....they look very much like leather..don't hurt me!

the camry's upper dash plastics are well done. but the lower part and parts of the door look as cheap as some GM stuff. so the 07 is a mixed bag. toyo is out to cut pennies like everyone else.

Edited by regfootball

Now c'mon guys.....

You ALL know how this is going to go...

The mags will slurp, slurp with ALL sorts of Kudos.

And Toyota will sell a record 15,000000000000000000 of these things DESPITE BETTER cars being on the market and DESPITE it looking like a whale.

And EVERY Grandma and Yuppie boomer will be parading these things around like the fattest HOG at the county fair awaiting their "social approval blue ribbon"

But, this shows how COMPLACENT Toyota is becoming... Each generation of Camry becomes LESS innovative, LESS substantial feeling and LESS attractive... Too bad americans are so dumb though, and too bad GM will be gone by the time they realize it (If ever)

P.S. And wasn't it Dan Neil that complained about the '1970's blue/green clocks in domestics'??!?!?! He better to hell be saying the same thing about this BLOB. (YEAH RIGHT!!! LOL)

I saw a white one last night (also saw qan FJ Cruiser but thats another story) and I agree that the hood cutline is awful, the grille needs to raise with the hood, not only to get rid of the ugly ass cut line, but also to make access a little easier.

I have a feeling this thread will be locked soon. It's getting pointless. Ongoing ragging by Toyota fanboys on how crappy the Impala is and how a piece from heaven the Camry is.

And now it resorted to national discrimination.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Alright, people... stop with the mindless Toyota praising or vice versa. It's annoying. Talk about the Camry itself, nothing else. This is what this thread is about, not the Chevy Impala. If you can't handle this... Don't post! I'm talking to you, Toyoguy... Mr. Let's bring other vehicles into this for no damn reason. Don't do it again, or I'll ban you, even though I'm not a mod. :D

Anyways, that LE is laughable. Talk about cheap looking. That grill, those wheel covers... The design is entirely lacking. It looks terrible in lower trims. Considering it's not exactly attractive in the first place... Yeah. The interior looks good, although, it's still quite plain. I don't like the radio either... Reminds me of Wal Mart. Anyways, it's sad to see parts falling off the interior like that. Don't try to make exuses for it, either... my POS 95 Grand Am's interior doesn't do that. :rolleyes::P

Well the Impala came into the conversation because you have to compare it something, and the Impala and Malibu are the closest GM competitors. Otherwise its just a generic bash Camry thread while it runs away with the sales crown for no apparent reason.

You guys need to keep this forum clean as possible some of the opinions here are off topic and very rude to others. Why don't we forget about the Camry and make this thread closed or something the Toyota fans will be like oh look at those GM fans there so worried about the Camry how about we ignore the Camry and they'll think we truly don't care about it if we truly didn't care about it then we wouldnt talk about it.

Oooohh...harsh to Toyota.

Well, considering this is a GM enthusiast website, I won't complain....much.

Compare this to the 2006 Impala base model.

Not in performance.

Not in size.

Not in price.

But in good looks.

Sure the Impala looks nice, but base interiors (as I've seen and sat in) have horribly hard cloth and cheap plastic features and is nowhere near worth as much money as GM is charging. Having many experiences in base Toyota's, I can say that I'm much impressed with Toyota.

Go figure.

Talk all you want.

This thing is going to eat up sales.

and that's what it comes down to. percieved value. all the glossy, black, plasticy looking pieces in those pictures toyoguy posted, the seat recliner pieces, the numerous corners cut, the cheap fabric, the lack of cloth on the doors. The Camry is about the total experience.

Whether the Malibu owners here like it or not, this Camry will command MSRP pricing for long after its debut. There is pent up demand for a car that is designed to cater to the senses. How does the Impala achieve this? With fake wood? Or is it the 1990 Lumina inspired dash? Or is it the hard upper dash panels? How does it cater to the sensual experience?

Impala and Malibu are relevant to this discussion. Let's keep it interesting and relevant folks.

Fly, I think you haven't noticed the buttons come on both sides of the steering wheel, the one pictured was just a base model. If it comes down to if it were aesthetically pleasing or not to you, maybe you'd make the extra jump and cough up $1000 for the extra features and buttons. That's in the hypothetical case where you buy this Camry. [just thought I should comment since you've already made your case twice on this]

Wow, simply amazing.

31 pages worth of posts between 5 threads entirely about the 2007 Camry, and they all pretty much say the same thing. :lol:

I'm with anyone else who wants to pass a board-wide rule on no more 2007 Camry posts.

Wow, simply amazing.

31 pages worth of posts between 5 threads entirely about the 2007 Camry, and they all pretty much say the same thing. :lol:

I'm with anyone else who wants to pass a board-wide rule on no more 2007 Camry posts.

:withstupid:

It's like a train wreck. I want to stop reading these retarded ass posts, but I can't pull myself away.

Edited by El Scorcho

:lol2: I agree with the train wreck...I could not stop reading it either...now - my thoughts on the topic that is supposed to be at hand- the '07 Cam-Lee...( It is Japanese, right? )

I have to say that I have never found these cars engaging enough to even want to drive. I forced myself once to see what all the fuss was about. Did not get it...Still don't. Tinny. Light. BORING. Serious YAWN!!! Same for the Honda Accord we had for 2 months...I could not even bring myself to wash the thing any more - it was THAT boring. Sold that quickly for a used Yukon -

But back to the Cam-Lee. The Interior looks like a Japanese car, which is to say - unattractive to this American's taste. The silver backround on the dash/Infotainment/HVAC center is just plain UGLY. This goes for all cars - Lincoln is guilty of this as well - Crome controls look dirty and ugly instantly...but this is my opinion, take it for what it is worth. Not a big fan of GM's ONE PIECE all black units either - although with the chrome trim around the switches in some lt models, it is liveable.

The Guage debate - CamLee versus Impala...same fonts used, Same incriments on the speedo and tach, although the Impala has the redline indicated (like it matters in a automatic equiped rental car...) same info given - Gas, Tach, temp Speed on BOTH CARS...the only diff that I see is that Chevy decided to 'highlight' the guages with the plastic trim, and that the gas and temp gauges are easier to read at a glance in the Chevy. Still what is the Big F-ing Deal?

IMHO - the new CamLee looks bloated, dumpy and just plain - PLAIN. In any trim level. The front looks like they tacked it on in order to make the hood usable on the Lexus version of the car, with just a new facia attached. Once again, I will say that GM was guilty of this on the now gone Lesabre...hideous design idea.

Toyoguy - kudos for supporting your brand. But I gotta say - I don't get what it is you are attracted to - just like you don't get what I see in GM products. Let's just all agree to disagree on this one.

I will ask the question, as this post was started about the base LE Camlee...race it with what? It is a four cylinder Toyota!!! - it is not fast - nor wise to drive it as such - as people can be hurt when the plastic wheelcovers do thier impression of a Frisbee at 85 MPH. :unsure:

( and before you say it - yes, we all know that GM sells cars with plastic wheelcovers...) :duh:

But, this shows how COMPLACENT Toyota is becoming... Each generation of Camry becomes LESS innovative, LESS substantial feeling and LESS attractive... Too bad americans are so dumb though, and too bad GM will be gone by the time they realize it (If ever)

"In truth, however, after the first five minutes behind the wheel of the all-new 2007 Camry, each evaluator came away with the same impression: "This is a Camry?" Every so often, an automaker produces something so extraordinary that it manages to not only eclipse its own predecessor, but also succeeds in making the competition appear obsolete. "

Well they are slurpping it up.

"All models include air conditioning with pollen filter, power windows, door locks and exterior mirrors, cruise control, auto on/off halogen headlamps, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, tire-pressure monitoring, six-speaker audio system with CD and auxiliary jack, seven airbags and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist"

"The V6 Camry makes the dash to 60 mph in less time than a recent BMW 330i did, it was nearly as quiet as a Bentley Flying Spur at idle and wide-open throttle, and its 22 city/31 highway EPA fuel economy rating matches that of a four-cylinder Honda Civic Si. Pretty impressive stuff to say the least."

Camry 06 sales increase is as inevitable as death.

Edited by toyoguy

"In truth, however, after the first five minutes behind the wheel of the all-new 2007 Camry, each evaluator came away with the same impression: "This is a Camry?" Every so often, an automaker produces something so extraordinary that it manages to not only eclipse its own predecessor, but also succeeds in making the competition appear obsolete. "

Leave it to Edmunds to load up a Camry to almost 31K and then sensationalize why its so much better than cars costing 6-7K less.

I wonder why they didn't complain about the redesign cutting cargo space.

"All models include air conditioning with pollen filter, power windows, door locks and exterior mirrors, cruise control, auto on/off halogen headlamps, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, tire-pressure monitoring, six-speaker audio system with CD and auxiliary jack, seven airbags and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist"

My Cobalt has about 90% of that at 15K...sorry not impressed. Even funnier...did you know Toyota still charges you for floormats...that's comedy.

"The V6 Camry makes the dash to 60 mph in less time than a recent BMW 330i did, it was nearly as quiet as a Bentley Flying Spur at idle and wide-open throttle, and its 22 city/31 highway EPA fuel economy rating matches that of a four-cylinder Honda Civic Si. Pretty impressive stuff to say the least."

OHHH...I bet those Camry drivers are really going to race all the time. It took them what a decade to finally match the performance of a 1997 GP GTP...not to mention 5 years to match Honda and Nissan.

Sure the EPA's rating seems nice...but that 20.4 real world mileage isn't exactly a standout.

Leave it to Edmunds to load up a Camry to almost 31K and then sensationalize why its so much better than cars costing 6-7K less. 

I wonder why they didn't complain about the redesign cutting cargo space. 

My Cobalt has about 90% of that at 15K...sorry not impressed.  Even funnier...did you know Toyota still charges you for floormats...that's comedy.

OHHH...I bet those Camry drivers are really going to race all the time.  It took them what a decade to finally match the performance of a 1997 GP GTP...not to mention 5 years to match Honda and Nissan.

Sure the EPA's rating seems nice...but that 20.4 real world mileage isn't exactly a standout.

Lets not forget less interior space than last years model, Mazda mating with a pig front end styling and decontented bodyside door moldings that will render these cars door jammed piles after they sit in grocery store parking lots for more than a week! I mean most every Camry I see is being driven by a little old lady to the grocery store.

The camry's press inst as great as everyone thought it would be...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/27/is-camr...-old-folks-car/

:thumbsup:

Speaking of old folk's car image, reminds me of Honda. Curiously, Honda has a status like Buick in UK. Interesting enough, it's considered the ricer youth brand here... Anyone recall the Honda Element review in Top Gear?

Anyhow, I don't see why this age group thing is that important for a bland car. We pretty well know appliance type cars are owned by families, typically registered under the parents.

Edited by ToniCipriani