Mule Bakersdozen LS

Yet another Ford Focus facelift....

50 posts in this topic

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/2...42006145430.jpg

A rash of prototype sightings around the streets of Detroit suggests that Ford is preparing a new face for the Focus. Judging by the horizontal grille bars and slim angular headlights residing behind the camouflage, it appears that a Fusion-inspired face may be in the cards for the next freshening of the Focus.

Many enthusiast magazines have urged Ford to inject some new life into its U.S. fleet by replacing our warmed-over first-generation Focus with the European model. However, the European market Focus went up-market with its last redesign and Ford has already confirmed it will not be coming here due to cost related to using the C1 platform.

Whether Ford can keep Focus sales steady by tweaking the design to match the new Ford family look remains to be seen. It faces some pretty challenging competition, the redesigned Honda Civic and Mazda3 are tough acts to keep up with when you are getting old in platform years, watch out Ford!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.autoscoops.net

Woo-hoo! Another bland, unnecessary facelift for the increasingly boring, aging, cheapened U.S.A. Focus! Too bad we're not getting the C1 version even third-world countries get-that's just sad!

Amazing...

Does it occur to the powers at Ford that the C1 Focus would bring in so much more money (even though it costs more to produce) and sales, at the least, than warmed over U.S. Focus?

See, they're going to milk the look to death and in like 5 years, no one will want to see it anymore. But Ford will keep the look around for 10 :rolleyes:

Keep it, Ford.

No sense further diluting the already tired-looking three-bar grille.

Where's the Focus replacement?

See, they're going to milk the look to death and in like 5 years, no one will want to see it anymore.  But Ford will keep the look around for 10  :rolleyes:

This is known as the Crown Victoria/Ranger Plan or also the Ford KISS Principle - Keep It Stale & Similar.

The Focus may be old, but the packaging and handling are still top-notch. Improved quality and safety would make it very competitive.

The Focus may be old, but the packaging and handling are still top-notch. Improved quality and safety would make it very competitive.

That's what I've heard and read about the Focus too but I've never been in one. I like the Fusions front end and think it will look nice on the Focus.

I've been in a focus..not so great...the doors creak when you open them. When you go over a road bump, your can hear the coils squeaking up and down...and in the back seat, I could feel the biggest draft coming through.

This is known as the Crown Victoria/Ranger Plan or also the Ford KISS Principle - Keep It Stale & Similar.

Yeah, what's going on with that? Are they chucking the Crown Vic anytime soon?

See, they're going to milk the look to death and in like 5 years, no one will want to see it anymore.  But Ford will keep the look around for 10  :rolleyes:

A la Ford Ranger? :P

One can't help but wonder howl long it'll be before we see a sub-Focus car here. They seem to be all the rage as of late with car maders, having a true econobox in addition to a premium small car. The Aveo, Versa, Yaris, and Fit are placed under their respective maker's premium small car (Cobalt, Sentra, Corolla, Civic). If Ford did this, they could bring over the costlier Focus and move it slitghtly upmarket in the Ford lineup. I guess Ford figures all of these other guys are guessing wrong... :huh:

You forgot the Econoline! But yeah, looks like this Focus, the Freestar, and Escape are aging examples that will take over the stalemates of the Ford line. I was in a Focus ST sedan at last year's auto show, and not only was it amazing how the car has aged so fast in 5 years, but also how awful the cloth and vinyl (yeah right-that was not leather and suede) not only cold be foisted onto an $18,000 (top-line compact nonetheless) vehicle, but also how inexcusable it was. And my friend's 2003 Focus ZX3 interior is so awful-unfortunately I sounded off my opinion about Ford and their fake cloth seats-the other Focus sedan's didn't have that at the time, so why did that rash spread?

Yeah, what's going on with that?  Are they chucking the Crown Vic anytime soon?

I remember for ages hearing about the Vic going fleet with a diesel engine, V10 Interceptor engine, a 6-inch stetch for taxis, a bunch of stuff. This was supposed to happen in 2003...04...05...06. To date, zip. Who knows really? Ford doesn't advertise the car anymore. Dealers don't even run ads for them, even on full-page Saturday spreads where they show Econoline conversions and cab chassies F-350s. I've even of of some dealers not even having a Vic in stock.

A very Twilight Zone car.

The stretched Crown Victoria Taxi actually happened for the 2002 model year-I saw them when I went to New York City-not bad looking, but still a dated Crown Vic.

I remember for ages hearing about the Vic going fleet with a diesel engine, V10 Interceptor engine, a 6-inch stetch for taxis, a bunch of stuff. This was supposed to happen in 2003...04...05...06. To date, zip. Who knows really? Ford doesn't advertise the car anymore. Dealers don't even run ads for them, even on full-page Saturday spreads where they show Econoline conversions and cab chassies F-350s. I've even of of some dealers not even having a Vic in stock.

A very Twilight Zone car.

Yeah, I heard the car was going to be out of the lineup years ago and only available as fleet. I'm surprised they're still keeping it around--it's terribly outdated. My parents considered one briefly when they were shopping for a new large car last year, but they were very disappointed with the quality and my dad complained there was too little room for his feet in the driver's side.

Ford has, by FAR, the most inept management in the auto industry. Their 'updates' are so thinly disguised, they are almost non existant. Look what they did to the explorer, expedition, escape, ranger 4x, taurus, focus, lincoln LS, navigator, town car. All of these cars have been 'revised' or 'refreshed' in the last few years, but i'd bet money your average man on the street wouldn't be able to tell. It's no wonder they bleed market share, it doesn't appear that any of their models are new or different from ones that are 5+ years old. When they finally can the old vehicle and come up with something completely different, it is usually a big hit, then it rots and becomes stale when they change the headlights and put new wheels and call it all new.

It just frustrates me beyond belief that a pillar of american industry like Ford can be so G.D. clueless (GM has their own problems that are very different from Ford's) when it comes to keeping their lineup interesting. The residents of michigan should drag some of these managers out back for tarring a trusted brand and all the other damage they've caused to the economy.java script:emoticon(':deadhorse:')

smilie

I am a big fan of the Focus Wagon. I rented a Focus last year for a trip to South Florida. I enjoyed the room, performance, and handling, but the seats were painful. After an hour of driving, my lower back and legs really hurt.

Agreed. Even now, nearly 7 years on the market, and the Focus is still one of the best handlers around. The only trouble is, Ford doesn't want to invest the amount of money it would take to make the Focus a real contender again. Ford is content to merely change the stereo to the new corprate look and re-locate the brake lights. Meanwhile, the car needs totally new front and rear facias, an updated interior with the latest features (i.e: iPod capability), a quicker engine lineup (preferably with more Mazda technology), and better quality control all around. All that would take millions to do, so the Focus languishes on.

The other problem is, I think the Focus might have permanently made a bad name for itself with all those recalls. Sure, quality has improved since those days, but the perception of the consumers has changed little.

GM Fans: Don't harp on the Focus being around a long time too much.

Consider the Cavalier. One big difference is the Cavalier was NEVER a great car. The Focus is a good car that was a great car when it came out.

Remember, the Focus would need to stay around until 2010 to match the last Cavalier and that's only if you call the 1995 Cavalier all-new which it wasn't. The 1995 Cavalier was a major redo of the Cavalier that dates back to 1982. Using that metric, the Focus would need to stay around until 2023 (!!!!) to match the Cavalier.

Wow. How did GM manage to get away with that? And this was during a period of time when GM made money and could have afford to bring out a new vehicle. We can blame the money throw at Saturn for that.

Mark

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.