Spy Photos: 2008 Cadillac STS

Variance

Spy Shots: ’08 Cadillac STS

A slimmer face for a sleek Euro beater.

by KGP Photography (2006-03-23)

The Cadillac STS has a facelift in the works, likely for the 2008 model year. The big four-door gets a new, Escalade-inspired grille treatment, with a more detailed chrome treatment and a subdued mesh grille. The STS's new face looks much lighter and more expressive than the current model's - a subtle but effective update. New taillights ditch the full red lenses, in favor of styled LED lamps that complement the STS's chiseled lines. The clear lenses have only a sliver of red reflector at the inside edges, but separate vertical LED strips glow red (braking) or orange (turn signals) in a truly eye-catching display. It appears that two additional reflective red strips have been added between the tailpipes, but it's unclear whether this is a final production application, or merely a safety add-on for testing purposes. We expect similar updates to be applied to the CTS and SRX models, to tighten up Cadillac's revamped family look.

Photos at link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...178.A10177.html

The SRX is getting an update for '07, so it makes since that the STS would one year later.

The taillamps look cool, though I'm not sure the updated grill changes much... Hopefully the front gets some more changes and the interior gets a major upgrade as the SRX is supposed to get.

Sorry- that's much more so DTS-inspired than ESC-inspired. I was expecting an 8-port grille like the '07 ESC- pics & text contradict each other. I also would infinately prefer a veiled LED taillight like the circa '00 Deville than clear lenses with bare strips of 40 bulbs.

Other than that I like it! ;)

That car is a Euro-spec car. That's why it has the dark taillights (which are uglier than the red ones, imo) and the amber rear side marker lights.

It also has what I believe to be the rear fog lights in the rear bumper, between the exausts.

They have it ID'ed correctly, this is an STS refresh. A fairly minor one though. There have been other unpublished photos of these prototypes.

Guys, if you're looking for the right answer, I'd probably trust this ^^^, our "resident spy's" statement :AH-HA_wink:

I would sure hope there would be at least a minor refresh for model #4, which is what 2008 will be for this car. Not major sheetmetal differences, but just some fresh details and maybe mechanical bits to keep everything as current as possible.

Edited by caddycruiser

NO NO NO NO NO

All WRONG!

There is no update to the STS this soon. It's simply doing more testing for the Blue Devil!

Are we going to get this post everytime there is a prototype being tested.

Spy shot poster: "Looks like they're doing a face lift and tail lift on the Cobalt"

Josh: "NO NO NO! It's another blue devil mule! I'm telling you it's true!"

I like the grille change-the DTS one is striking and it works well with/for the design, and it does here too.

I do not think the taillights mean anything for us. I am assuming that GM was testing the vehicle on the Autobahn or another European track.

For people who don't think this is the next STS:

Why would they give a test mule a brand new grille and style upgrades (excluding the taillights) if this is just a disguise for another vehicle?

It does not make sense.

I believe this article and those who support it.

Edited by Cadillacfan

This doesn't make sense. The CTS is long overdue for a remake, and yet it's saying it's going to get grille treatment?

Oh, and screw what Top Gear says. They keep saying the CTS is too big. I'd say why give up the Cadillac heritage, just because of what a fool who can't tell a chime is to remind key removal said?

Edited by ToniCipriani

The Escalade had clear-lense taillamps in spy shots as well. I wouldn't expect these to make production either.

As for the front-end, it looks DTS-inspired. Wrong direction to be moving in if you ask me.

The CTS is long overdue for a remake, and yet it's saying it's going to get grille treatment?

The CTS came out in '02 as an '03 model. We are currently in the '06 model year. 3 years old is "long overdue for a remake"?

Wasn't somone just bitching about Ford restyling the Montego after 2 years in another thread? :banghead:

CTS will be refreshed substantially for the '08 model year, which means we'll see it in '07 and probably in some spy pics later this year if CD/BP does his job well. :AH-HA_wink:

The Escalade had clear-lense taillamps in spy shots as well.  I wouldn't expect these to make production either.

You should see the "beauties" they'll use in European market Escalades :puke:

Click here and check them out. There's a rear shot of the Escalade in the gallery.

Click the "SEE MORE SPY SHOTS: 2007 Cadillac STS" link

Now how the hell did I miss that?!

I like the idea about a separate amber turn signal bar of lights... I prefer cars have amber lights for turn signals than red.

Alright, it's a decent facelift--the interior needs more luxury to it though... hopefully that will be added.

The CTS came out in '02 as an '03 model. We are currently in the '06 model year.  3 years old is "long overdue for a remake"?

What? It came out in January 2002. It's now March 2006, which is more than 4 years.

It's getting a full redesign next year, not just a refresh.

SRX is scheduled for a new interior/grille change to reflect the Escalade's grille for the upcoming '07 MY. Every Cadillac car is moving in the direction of the Escalade, so that grille should be the one used on every car, including the STS. This DTS-inspired grille looks to just be a mockup. STS should come along with the CTS for the '08 MY. CTS should debut at NAIAS next year, probably along with refreshed STS? Don't know when to expect either at dealers. Agreed with those above that feel STS needs substantial changes, inside and to the rear especially. Though I'd prefer they do a complete redesign and make the STS the exotic sedan it was always meant to be. STS is priced higher than the CTS, but what does it truly offer, aside from the availability of a bigger engine [for a substantial price increase]? What would truly make you buy it over an M35/45, A6, 5-series, aside from blind loyalty. STS needs an injection of true style.

CTS will be refreshed substantially for the '08 model year, which means we'll see it in '07 and probably in some spy pics later this year if CD/BP does his job well.  :AH-HA_wink:

I don't think this is true. If the CTS is going to be new in 08 then it would be released in fall 07 and there has not been a single pic of it to be seen. If the general had a hot product coming they wouldnt be sitting on it. Seriously, even die hard GM buyers like me are getting burned out waiting for new product.

I doubt the CTS will come out before 09.

I don't think this is true. If the CTS is going to be new in 08 then it would be released in fall 07 and there has not been a single pic of it to be seen. If the general had a hot product coming they wouldnt be sitting on it. Seriously, even die hard GM buyers like me are getting burned out waiting for new product.

I doubt the CTS will come out before 09.

The new CTS is apparently premiering at the NYIAS.

Now how the hell did I miss that?!

I like the idea about a separate amber turn signal bar of lights... I prefer cars have amber lights for turn signals than red.

Alright, it's a decent facelift--the interior needs more luxury to it though... hopefully that will be added.

Don't worry, I missed it too.

Unless something unforseen happens with the program, CTS will debut during the 2007 auto show season and is currently slated to start production in the summer of 2007.

IF GM is smart then they will at least release a concept sketch before people start to doubt that they are developing new cars. I mean is it really bankruptcy for GM or are they still in the game? The damn solstice, G6, malibu and equinox pics were out years before the cars came out.

Why does it seem like I am the only one who would much rather have those supposed new taillights than the current ones, which just add to the overall watered-down-ness of the STS's design? :huh:

I think all these changes look good. I mean... anything's better than what we have now.

The CTS will be the next Caddy to be restyled, that's pretty obvious.

Other than that Cadillac's next priority should be to make the SIXTEEN in 99.9% concept form like ASAP!

Cadillac needs to upgrade the STS both inside and out to get it ready to be ahead of the CTS in style and material quality. I predict that we will see the 2008 CTS and STS early next year at NAIAS or Chicago with an early sale date like they did with the Escalade and with the original CTS. Next January would make a nice 5 year run for the CTS. I just hope that the SRX upgrade that is due this summer doesn't use the STS center console like the STS and Escalade. Cadillac needs something more fluid and "new" for the SRX to keep in relevant. The SRX is a great car in search of a worthy interior.

Cadillac needs to upgrade the STS both inside and out to get it ready to be ahead of the CTS in style and material quality.  I predict that we will see the 2008 CTS and STS early next year at NAIAS or Chicago with an early sale date like they did with the Escalade and with the original CTS.  Next January would make a nice 5 year run for the CTS.  I just hope that the SRX upgrade that is due this summer doesn't use the STS center console like the STS and Escalade.  Cadillac needs something more fluid and "new" for the SRX to keep in relevant.  The SRX is a great car in search of a worthy interior.

think you need to practice up on the math. 5 year run? don't think so. try closer to 6. The CTS was on dealer lots Jan 2002, as a 2003 model (the earliest you can sell a 2003 model).

jan 2002-debuts(prob SOP was Oct or Nov 2001???)

NG CTS SOP is summer 2007(unless that has changed recently)

However, thankfully there constant changes to the car during that 5.5 - 6 yrs to keep it in the car mags and 'freshened'.

IF GM is smart then they will at least release a concept sketch before people start to doubt that they are developing new cars. I mean is it really bankruptcy for GM or are they still in the game? The damn solstice, G6, malibu and equinox pics were out years before the cars came out.

i disagree.

NG CTS is hot!!

seeing early sketches might make people wait to by NG, thus affecting current sales. (it is that good!)

NAIAS is a good 7-9 months before they'll be on the street, and there will likely be some spy shtos before then.

(get that CD/BP???)

Edited by 97regalGS

SRX is scheduled for a new interior/grille change to reflect the Escalade's grille for the upcoming '07 MY. Every Cadillac car is moving in the direction of the Escalade, so that grille should be the one used on every car, including the STS. This DTS-inspired grille looks to just be a mockup. STS should come along with the CTS for the '08 MY. CTS should debut at NAIAS next year, probably along with refreshed STS? Don't know when to expect either at dealers. Agreed with those above that feel STS needs substantial changes, inside and to the rear especially. Though I'd prefer they do a complete redesign and make the STS the exotic sedan it was always meant to be. STS is priced higher than the CTS, but what does it truly offer, aside from the availability of a bigger engine [for a substantial price increase]? What would truly make you buy it over an M35/45, A6, 5-series, aside from blind loyalty. STS needs an injection of true style.

is the new interior confirmed? given that CTS and SRX share current interiors, is it the same interior that is going to be in NG CTS? If so, that will be an improvement.

think you need to practice up on the math.  5 year run? don't think so.  try closer to 6. The CTS was on dealer lots Jan 2002, as a 2003 model (the earliest you can sell a 2003 model).

jan 2002-debuts(prob SOP was Oct or Nov 2001???)

NG CTS SOP is summer 2007(unless that has changed recently)

However, thankfully there constant changes to the car during that 5.5 - 6 yrs to keep it in the car mags and 'freshened'.

Actually if you reread my comments - you will see that my math is correct. If the 2008 CTS is introduced at the NAIAS with a January 2007 sale date as an early 2008 - then it would be an even five year run. I'm not sure how you are getting six years. January 2002 to January 2007 - that is a five year span. Even if it doesn't go on sale until spring or early summer (there are conflicting reports of the SOP) then it is still less than six years.