Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Test drove HHR 2LT and Malibu MAXX SS

It's a very sad day at my house since I know that the time is running out for my 1996 Camaro Z28 convertible. I just recently started a new job that requires me to drive in really ugly traffic and spend 1 hour each way a day - something the Z28 is not all too happy about. So the quest goes to replace it.

I like the HHRs and they aren't too expensive even with all the options, and the Malibu MAXX SS in Laser Blue looks really good, so I went to a local dealer this morning to see if I could live with the 172 HP in the HHR....

NOPE!

There's no way I could be happy - even sititng in traffic with the HHR. It probably is fine for people that did not grow up with muscle cars and V-8s in everything, but to me, it just isn't enough.

So, I'm pretty set on the MAXX SS. The 3.9 pulls like a champ and even gives a twitter of touque steer when nailed. I haven't decided to send the Z28 up the river yet (105,000 miles) but I feel the end is coming soon.

OTHERS CONSIDERED:

Pontiac Solstice - Don't want a stick with hour's worth of traffic, not practical enough to be our second car.

Pontiac GTO - Again, no stick and refuse to buy it with an auto. Plus, a little more than I want to spend.

Pontiac GP GXP - More than I want to spend.

Pontiac G6 GTP - Already have a G6 GT and don't want two of the EXACT same cars. I like the MAXX hatchback better. It's really hard to tell the difference between a GT and a GTP (pipes and wheels) - maybe if they were visualy different.

I have to sell it (even as a weekend car, the insurance is $1300 a year in NJ - WAY to high for a car I would use once in a while). I have to sell the car outright (can't trade it) - I'm looking for about $6,000 for a car in really good shape. I hate to see it go.

Good choice. If you are used to driving a V-8, odds are the gas mileage would suck on the HHR because you'd be riding it hard all the time. In real world driving conditions the Maxx will get decent mileage.

It's interesting when people "downsize" they often make the mistake of dropping too far down the line and then are very unhappy.

Extreme case in point: I had a customer with a 2002 Monte Carlo want to get his payment down and save gas. He ended up leasing an Epica, which he hated after 3 months. He was a young guy and used to the power of the 3.8, but even after two test drives of the anemic Epica he insisted it didn't matter. Now he really regrets his decision.

Well, I have the G6 with the 3.5 and the MAXX was noticably faster, almost GP GXP kick in the pants fast. The 3.9 seems really worth the extra.

While I am not turned off by the G6 GT electric steering, I was nice to drive the Epsilon with a hydr. system and the three spoke steering wheel.

If my wife gets her new job, the MAXX will be hitting my driveway in the next week or so...

I like the Maxx SS but I'm gonna seize this opportunity to use this as an example of proof again of how GM has virtually nothing on the market for guys like me and avant who want a car with some gusto and speed and handling but also need it to be a daily driver and wouldn't mind if it was a GM car, and reasonably priced.

As far as the gto, I am sure in about 5 minutes you could find a GTO with stick and under 10,000 miles on it for 20-25 grand. They are all over, or at least were the last time i checked. There is a yellow on with stick I've been eyeballing with about 5,000 miles on it, but I need a more weather friendly car with 4 doors.

The Maxx SS is decent but its pitiful that GM doesn't have a bunch more better yet to offer to those who want a capably sporty everyday driver.

Hey, do you like the Aura? Not like they'll put a stick in it anyways.......

Edited by regfootball

As far as the gto, I am sure in about 5 minutes you could find a GTO with stick and under 10,000 miles on it for 20-25 grand.  They are all over, or at least were the last time i checked.  There is a yellow on with stick I've been eyeballing with about 5,000 miles on it, but I need a more weather friendly car with 4 doors.

Speaking of which, there's a brand-new 2005 GTO 6.0l automatic at the local B-P-GMC lot with $28,560 on the windshield.

If you want it even cheaper you could get a slightly used '04 (like mine) for a little over $20k.

*raises eyebrow*

Wow ... that's not bad at all ... I may have to look into that a bit more then. Though, a used Charger wouldn't be bad either....

Speaking of GTOs, though, tonight, I finally saw a GTO commercial ... awesome, too!

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Relight the flame when it's cold"...Godsmack...'Serenity'

I have to agree with reg that GM needs to offer more inticing cars in this range, not that the Malibu is bad, but if the MAXX wasn't available, I wouldn't get a sedan. The short deck and hatch makes it all the more appealing.

And believe me Josh, I've thought about waiting for an auto Solstice, but this purchase needs to be a functional one. When the lease on the G6 runs out in 2 1/2 years, the car I get now becomes my wifes and THEN I can get my 2009 Camaro. The Solstice just doesn't make sense, especially since it would be the same price as the MAXX SS (My Solstice would have to be loaded AND have an extra $1000 for the auto bringing me to the $26-27,000 range).

The Aura is very nice, but I'm trying to be a little price concious here and since I can't use the GM Card rebate and there's no haggle on the price, a well equipped Aura is probably going to top out in the $28,000 range and I might as well get what I really want (a GP GXP) if I'm going to hover at the $30,000 price point. I can't lease this car, it has to be a purchase.

Actualy, as long as the Camaro goes out as planned, this should all fall into place very nicely.

It's a very sad day at my house since I know that the time is running out for my 1996 Camaro Z28 convertible.  I just recently started a new job that requires me to drive in really ugly traffic and spend 1 hour each way a day - something the Z28 is not all too happy about.  So the quest goes to replace it. 

I like the HHRs and they aren't too expensive even with all the options, and the Malibu MAXX SS in Laser Blue looks really good, so I went to a local dealer this morning to see if I could live with the 172 HP in the HHR....

NOPE!

There's no way I could be happy - even sititng in traffic with the HHR.  It probably is fine for people that did not grow up with muscle cars and V-8s in everything, but to me, it just isn't enough.

So, I'm pretty set on the MAXX SS.  The 3.9 pulls like a champ and even gives a twitter of touque steer when nailed.  I haven't decided to send the Z28 up the river yet (105,000 miles) but I feel the end is coming soon.

OTHERS CONSIDERED:

Pontiac Solstice - Don't want a stick with hour's worth of traffic, not practical enough to be our second car.

Pontiac GTO - Again, no stick and refuse to buy it with an auto.  Plus, a little more than I want to spend.

Pontiac GP GXP - More than I want to spend.

Pontiac G6 GTP - Already have a G6 GT and don't want two of the EXACT same cars.  I like the MAXX hatchback better.  It's really hard to tell the difference between a GT and a GTP (pipes and wheels) - maybe if they were visualy different.

If the HHR was offered in a SS package with a SS suspension and 205 SC Ecotec would the out come have been different?

Just wondering? I don't know if I would be happy with a HHR but am intriged by them.

Performance is one area of concern for me. Cornering and power both are of great interest.

The HHR seems like it needs the 260 hp turbo for those that really want some spirited driving. The problem with that is those of us that are avoiding sticks because of unspirited traffic congestion would probably only have a stick to choose from in the SS version, so I would have still needed to go to the MAXX SS.

The HHR was a nice drive and you sit in a commanding view of the road. The 2.4 moves the trucklet, but I found myself unsatisfied when taking off and flooring it, alerting me to the fact that the HHR would spend most of the time thrashing underfoot because I am used to GM engine's usual torque curve and do not have the mentality for a little four-banger when attached to a 3500+ pound vehicle. Those used to driving higher-reving low-displacement engines probably would have not problem with the 2.4.

All I can advise is to do what I did. Get in one, take it out and drive it like you drive your current car. If you step on the gas and wonder why t feels like you aren't going anywhere (the lack of torque), then the HHR is not for you.

I really like it otherwise.

Although I'm not a fan of the Malibu's look (even after the mild refresh), I'm a fan of its utility.

It all depends on your definition of utility.....

I had a Maxx one time as a rental.....and my (overly) large suitcase wouldn't even fit in the cargo area....unless I lowered the seat(s.)

It DOES fit in a Malibu SEDAN's trunk however.....

To me, and for my purposes of utility.....I'd shy AWAY from a Malibu MAXX.

If I went SAAB, I'd have to go with the new 6-banger, and I'd be in the GP GXP $$ range again and would rather have a V-8. That also takes out any used 9-3. The little 4-banger in the 9-3 doesn't to it for me, even in 2.0t trim. I just like larger displacement torquey engines.

The Cobalt is nice, but not big enough for me. I have to go mid to large. If I was just looking for a short-term commuter car that wouldn't have a second life as a weekend warrior, I would have either gone Solstice or Cobalt SS.

I like the way the short-deck of the MAXX looks 10x more than the sedan, so even if the trunk of the sedan is bigger, I have to stick with the MAXX.

The Maxx's upmarket cousin, the 9-3 SportCombi can be had for $24,480 with ED. You might want to check it out: http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/europeandelivery/choose.jsp

they have pills for that now, ya know.

go with the Maxx. dont forget to check out what others have to offer though. Im yet to drive a freestyle or 500, but Reg could let you know what he thinks of his.

again, i will bleat the charge of the dearth of GM desirable offerings for guys like me and you. I agree, guys like us, a loaded Aura or Impala SS or something may cost too much. A Maxx SS has potential but it's not necessarily a slam dunk as far as wanting to have one.

Could Chevy just simply make a commuter daily driver friendly Malibu that is GOOD LOOKING, and has either the 3.6vvt or 260hp ecotec turbo and a stick (6 speed auto w- manumatic for the wussies), and a sports handling package, and supportive seats, driver oriented dash and a sunroof and good stereo for a decent price?

Apparently that recipe is foreign to GM and Detroit in general. too bad. they could sell em like hotcakes like that.

I have to agree with reg that GM needs to offer more inticing cars in this range, not that the Malibu is bad, but if the MAXX wasn't available, I wouldn't get a sedan.  The short deck and hatch makes it all the more appealing.

And believe me Josh, I've thought about waiting for an auto Solstice, but this purchase needs to be a functional one.  When the lease on the G6 runs out in 2 1/2 years, the car I get now becomes my wifes and THEN I can get my 2009 Camaro.  The Solstice just doesn't make sense, especially since it would be the same price as the MAXX SS (My Solstice would have to be loaded AND have an extra $1000 for the auto bringing me to the $26-27,000 range).

The Aura is very nice, but I'm trying to be a little price concious here and since I can't use the GM Card rebate and there's no haggle on the price, a well equipped Aura is probably going to top out in the $28,000 range and I might as well get what I really want (a GP GXP) if I'm going to hover at the $30,000 price point.  I can't lease this car, it has to be a purchase.

Actualy, as long as the Camaro goes out as planned, this should all fall into place very nicely.

Edited by regfootball

The HHR seems like it needs the 260 hp turbo for those that really want some spirited driving.  The problem with that is those of us that are avoiding sticks because of unspirited traffic congestion would probably only have a stick to choose from in the SS version, so I would have still needed to go to the MAXX SS.

The HHR was a nice drive and you sit in a commanding view of the road.  The 2.4 moves the trucklet, but I found myself unsatisfied when taking off and flooring it, alerting me to the fact that the HHR would spend most of the time thrashing underfoot because I am used to GM engine's usual torque curve and do not have the mentality for a little four-banger when attached to a 3500+ pound vehicle.  Those used to driving higher-reving low-displacement engines probably would have not problem with the 2.4.

All I can advise is to do what I did.  Get in one, take it out and drive it like you drive your current car.  If you step on the gas and wonder why t feels like you aren't going anywhere (the lack of torque), then the HHR is not for you.

I really like it otherwise.

i drove a 2.4/auto HHR when it came out and i agree with you, it needs more gusto/torque, whatever.

they have pills for that now, ya know.

go with the Maxx. dont forget to check out what others have to offer though. Im yet to drive a freestyle or 500, but Reg could let you know what he thinks of his.

if you love dull, the 500 is your machine. i'm already wishing i had done the maxima instead. or galant GTS even. the Impala SS was still a bit dull for my tastes. I wish the Maxx SS had been out when i was buying, i would have taken an honest look at it.

again, i will bleat the charge of the dearth of GM desirable offerings for guys like me and you.  I agree, guys like us, a loaded Aura or Impala SS or something may cost too much.  A Maxx SS has potential but it's not necessarily a slam dunk as far as wanting to have one.

Could Chevy just simply make a commuter daily driver friendly Malibu that is GOOD LOOKING, and has either the 3.6vvt or 260hp ecotec turbo and a stick (6 speed auto w- manumatic for the wussies), and a sports handling package, and supportive seats, driver oriented dash and a sunroof and good stereo for a decent price?

Apparently that recipe is foreign to GM and Detroit in general.  too bad.  they could sell em like hotcakes like that.

Much agreed, which is why I drive the below ↓

-RBB

i would at least take the sportcombi out for a drive. it's a much much more beautiful car than the Malibu, and it *looks* more fun than the maxx, and certainly drives better. the engine feel, well that's the part where the test drive comes in. For my money, the saab feels better put together thanks to real high quality not apparent in other GM brands, and it is so consistent in its quality and design.

but between the maxx and HHR, I'd go maxx.

I dunno how much haggling you can do at the Saab dealership, but the 9-3 SportCombi starts at 33 and change for the Aero (V6). I think from what Walt is saying, he's not looking to go over the 25K mark.

i would at least take the sportcombi out for a drive. it's a much much more beautiful car than the Malibu, and it *looks* more fun than the maxx, and certainly drives better. the engine feel, well that's the part where the test drive comes in. For my money, the saab feels better put together thanks to real high quality not apparent in other GM brands, and it is so consistent in its quality and design.

but between the maxx and HHR, I'd go maxx.

Agreed... the turbo makes the I4 feel surprisingly torquey.

Agreed... the turbo makes the I4 feel surprisingly torquey.

the only 9-3 i've drove was the 175hp Linear, and it was ok, but not impressive. the 210hp turbo has only a bit more torque so its not that much faster. The v6 in the saab is the way to go and that gets pricey.

the maxx SS needs the 3.6vvt and a 5 speed minimum.

To one of the earlier posts... i happen to like Minis...they're so damn cute. lol

Now as far as the Maibu goes... the Maxx SS is at least alright looking, the sedan just makes me wanna cover it with a tarp. The SS has a 240hp v6 and a 4-speed am I right? (I could be wrong, I'm too lazy to go look it up). But have you considered a Magnum SXT or R/T (100 more horsepower than the SS)? Those are big, roomy, sporty, RWD (or AWD) and damn sexy. Plus both engines have more power, and I think the V6 will be getting a 5-speed soon. I dunno what your preference is on Dodges, or if the SXT and R/T are out of your price range, but just thought I'd throw it out there. Of course if you wanted or could afford it you could get the SRT-8 hehe ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

I have to sell it (even as a weekend car, the insurance is $1300 a year in NJ - WAY to high for a car I would use once in a while).

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

O man You think that is to high any cant you put it as a luxary vechicle that should lower the insurance cost.

But for me to get a 95 V6 camaro it will cost me $4100 dollars a year. My record is 1 not at fault accident and 2 5 over speeding tickets here in MI. Thats the reason why i dont have multiple cars :( . My 01 Silverado $2200 a year and the Caprice on PLPD cost $700 a year.

Edited by capriceman