Losing Another Pet

Guest Josh

I left my house yesterday with the intentions of enjoying a weekend with fellow Solstice owners in Canton, Ohio. I arrived on the scene, meeted and greated with the 20+ Solstice owners that were in attendance at Poncho's Southwestern in Canton and headed back to the hotel.

Luckily, there is a night club/bar connected to the hotel that was open. I walk in, and naturally the first bartender to capture my attention gets the duty of serving me Bud Lights all evening.

Upon sitting there and chatting I found out that Erin (such a CUTIE!) is 21 and goes to school, etc.

Then for some reason pets came up. We talked about them and how long we've had 'em. My cat Tucky we got from Kentucky some 20 years ago from my fathers now deceased mother. He wasn't to be ours, but somehow we got stuck with the little hellacious devil.

We knew on the drive home from Katies, Kentucky that he was going to "show us" for not wanting to pick him. He cried while in the cage and would only be quiet while sitting on my moms lap while dad drove in our GMC Jimmy.

Recently, Tucky has had a hard time getting around. Doing simple things like eating, using the litter box, and even walking have become a major, daunting task for the little guy.

It's unfortunate, but I left my trip with good buds and pals on a sure to be joyous Solstice run in Ohio to come home and take part in what is becoming the decision of not if we should put the old guy down, but when.

He's lived one hell of a life, causing us many headaches and laughter throughout his great years, but it seems as if it will be coming to an end shortly. :(

Oh man, sorry to hear that, I too know how that feels. I had a dog who couldn't walk very well in her old age. But the worst part about it is that, I wasn't even home to say goodbye to her. I was at overnight camp in NH (I live in NJ), and there was still about three weeks left, so my parents didn't want to come back to get me, so when I came home, they broke the news to me. I also had a cat who died at about age 3. I Woke up one morning taking a shower and when I came out I heard my sister screaming, so I ran down stairs and was told to get dressed to go to the vet. My dad drove to the vet, driving as fast as he could, meanwhile my cat is in the front seat in my mom's arms not breathing. When we got at the vet they said there was nothing to be done, and that she probably had a brain aneurysm.

Now, three years later, I have moved on and have three cats. (Two from the same litter almost three years old, and the other, a little kitten we just recently took in as a stray) Just give it time, and you will move on too.

Well, I can't say I really like cats. We have a kitten (well, almost an adult) now and it really gets on my nerves. But that's not what this thread is for...

Either way, I'm sorry on your loss, Josh. Just do the feline a favor and put it down ASAP or it will have to suffer, which isn't how it would like to go out. We made our first dog suffer like that, but we didn't know she was suffering until the last week because her kidneys had been failing all along, so she was only seven when we put her down. 'Twas the day after my birthday and one of the worst days I've ever had.

Well, I can't say I really like cats. We have a kitten (well, almost an adult) now and it really gets on my nerves. But that's not what this thread is for...

Either way, I'm sorry on your loss, Josh. Just do the feline a favor and put it down ASAP or it will have to suffer, which isn't how it would like to go out. We made our first dog suffer like that, but we didn't know she was suffering until the last week because her kidneys had been failing all along, so she was only seven when we put her down. 'Twas the day after my birthday and one of the worst days I've ever had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the toughest part is the fact that Tucky is from my dads mom.......he's the last live thing he has to relate to her. I know it's tough. I've tried to talk to him today and he's told me to "let it go."

I don't know what to do. He's not the same as he was before. The cat is dying. I won't let him suffer, but Damn, he's my dad and I know he will be hurt by it a great deal. He's the last living link to his mother.

It's so tough. I know the cat should be put to sleep but man, my dad always equals #1.

Aw man, Josh... I feel your pain. My dog Lucky is going through the same thing. He has trouble walking, eating... everything. I can't imagine losing him. We've had him for only ten years. He can't possibly die already... I mean, it seems like we got him not long ago. I really hate to see him suffer, though. If only my parent's hadn't stuck him outside in the cold with all the cats and all the &#036;h&#33; he got into... He was fine before. It just sucks. The only pet I lost before was my cat a few years ago, but I can't really say I enjoyed him like I do Lucky. Lucky's been "my" dog for awhile, as I've been the only one to respect him as a dog and he's always slept in my bed until recently. My parent's, especially my mom, treated him like &#036;h&#33;. Kicking him for no reason. Same with punishing or whatnot. My dad would never do anything about it. It always seemed like I was the only one willing to stand up to my mom and "her" dog, Harley. Either way, I really don't want to see Lucky suffer or die... :(

Anyways, I'm really sorry to hear that, Josh, and I know how you feel.

Wow, major bummer. :(

I do NOT look forward to going through that with Tony, Mellon & Puma. :(

I talked to my dad on the phone today and other than an upbeat conversation there was a very disturbing piece of news. Their old little blue & white parakeet "Oblac'ik" (Slovakian for "little cloud") who had been limping and doing poorly for about a month was suffering and near death. My dad said he had to "put him to sleep" and started giving me some details I did not want to hear. :mellow:

Edited by Sixty8panther

I won't let him suffer, but Damn, he's my dad and I know he will be hurt by it a great deal. He's the last living link to his mother.

It's so tough. I know the cat should be put to sleep but man, my dad always equals #1.

I can certainly understand how your Dad ... and you ... feel about all of this.

It was tough seeing Gram have to have the pug put to sleep that was the last living like to her Mother ... this, of course, was a heck of a while ago, but I can still recall those feelings as if they happened yesterday.

Odd how time has a varying sense of reality.....

As of 6:03pm March 26, 2006 Tucky Oliver has passed away accompanied by family members. He died peacefully at his home.

The little son of a bitch that grew up with me is already severly missed.

It's fitting because he died in my room. The cat that used all 9 of his lives plus 10 more couldn't go any longer.

It's sad but this death has hit harder than many before. I honestly don't know what to do.

Thanks for everything guys. This loss has really, really made me go through quite the change both in personal and "public" life.

Never did I imagine loosing this guy, but in a sense, it's just another piece of me walking away and giving it up.

I do appreciate the words that C&G has given me, but it really is time to move on.