Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

The 6.2L Hurricane is back on track

After news that the Hurricane was being shelved about a year ago, Mark Fields has apparently ressurected the engine from the grave. I wonder if they can stuff this thing in the Panthers? I'm already beginning to like Mark Fields!

Hurricane Watch

Ford hopes high-performance V-8 blows away rivals

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

The Hurricane is back.

A year after Ford Motor Co. killed its planned Hemi-fighting V-8 to the dismay of horsepower junkies, Ford Americas group chief Mark Fields has put the high-performance engine back in the company’s product pipeline, according to sources familiar with the project.

Fields revived the engine three months ago as part of a new restructuring plan for the automaker. The decision offers a telling insight into how serious Fields is about shaking things up at Ford, underscoring his repeated assertions that nothing is off the table when it comes to reshaping the automaker’s troubled North American auto operations, which lost $1.6 billion last year.

Ford nixed the Hurricane project because of concerns about development costs and rising gasoline prices. Now, Fields has decided that maintaining Ford’s leadership in the pickup truck market against mounting challenges from rivals General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group trumps those concerns.

More at Detroit News

The Mustang, possibly a new Mach 1, could get this. It will need it when the Camaro debuts. There's a good chance the Panthers may be gone around the time this engine debuts, although I would be the first in line to buy a Panther with the Hurricane.

Edited by ehaase

the grand marquis will be getting a major restyle for 2008, if they make this motor available sign me up!

They've been saying that for years...I'd love to believe it, but I don't know...

So, what is the story at Ford?!?!?

I was saddened to hear of the official SVT death, then I started factoring in some other facts; cancellation of the SVT Lightning, shelving the Hurricane, cancellation of ALL the heritage based Mustang packages they had planned....

I was beginning to worry...

Ford NEEDS (READ: must have) performance to survive in the market now IMO. Sure, they've got Shelby, but what else????

I'd like to see a GT successor, the Mustang packages come back online along with the F-150 packages (Lightning, tuned HD edition, etc.) and I'd like to see an SVT Fusion -OR- Milan (:)) and other Linocln/Mercury vehicles...

Any word yet?!?!?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook