LA 2010: 2011 Hyundai Elantra offers 40 mpg from $14,830*

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

LA 2010: 2011 Hyundai Elantra offers 40 mpg from $14,830*

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Nov 18th 2010 at 12:55PM

lead-2011-hyundai-elantra.jpg

The rakish new 2011 Hyundai Elantra hits dealerships in the coming months and will be priced from $14,830 (*excluding $720 for destination) for the base GLS model with a six-speed manual transmission. This represents a $645 price increase versus the 2010 Elantra, though the 2011 model is $1,445 cheaper than a base Chevrolet Cruze and $1,440 less than a base 2012 Ford Focus – the Hyundai's two main competitors.

All Elantras come equipped with a new 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine from Hyundai producing 148 horsepower and 131 pound-feet of torque, and the six-speed row-it-yourself gearbox is only available on the bottom-end GLS model – a new six-speed automatic is standard with all other GLS and Limited Elantras. What's more, all Elantras are able to achieve 29/40 miles per gallon (city/highway).

Opting for the GLS Popular Equipment package adds things like 16-inch steel wheels, air conditioning, cruise control and a telescopic steering wheel, and the higher-end GLS Preferred pack adds alloy wheels and Bluetooth. The Elantra Limited starts at $19,980, and nets you standard equipment like heated leather seats (both front and rear), a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, foglamps and a sunroof. All Elantras are even available with an optional seven-inch navigation system, premium audio system and push-button start (for Limited models).

Full pricing and details are available in Hyundai's press release, after the jump.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/18/2011-hyundai-elantra-40-mpg-from-14-830-la-2010/

after deciding i really am sick of the sonata by now, this looks fine to me, exterior wise. nothing to moisten the panties about....but it's slightly futuristic, slightly elegant, slightly sporty, all of that. I really like this grille better than the chosen one's. I would not get sick of it as fast as i have the Sonata. That said, its got a bit of a 2014 rental car aura about it.

Seems like the windshield has a similar angle and location as a Civic. there are a couple mazda3 overtones here.

Really though, despite the decent interior, what is probably the deal breaker for me is the oddness of the center stack. It looks like they cut it out to preserve knee room, but the controls are dumb looking. And the plastic seems in photos to be lacking. So much of it, too.

TOo bad, the back seat looks HUGE! which makes it UNCRUZE like.......Cabin seems very airy too.

148/131 sounds like a torqueless engine to me. 6 speed manual for cheap, though and good mpg. I'd probably test drive one and try not to look at the center stack while doing so. The big back seat is a huge draw if its real space in person.

I'd like this over a mazda3, design wise. Definitely better than the boring Jetta to me. Focus seems much nicer. Cruze I would prefer over this too, but not outright until i test it.

I wonder how the wagon translates on this thing.

Edited by regfootball