G8 redux? Chevy comeback rumored for Holden Commodore

NewsFeeder

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, Chevrolet, Holden, Australia, Rumormill

vecommserii.jpg
Holden VE Series II Commodore - Click above for high-res image gallery

A fountain of tears was shed when the Pontiac G8 sedans bit the dust along with their parent brand. The Poncho-fied Holden Commodore was one of our favorite rides - particularly in its delicious, LS3-powered GXP guise with a six-speed stick. As you know, Holden is once again ready to export Zeta-based sedans to the U.S. in the form of the new long-wheelbase Chevy Caprice police cruisers, but civilian variants are not part of the program. This brings us to the latest scuttlebutt published by Drive.com.au, which reports that a new export agreement to send standard-wheelbase Holden VE Commodores back stateside as Chevrolets may be on the horizon.

Drive quotes General Motors engineer Al Oppenheiser as confirming that negotiations are indeed underway, while a second unnamed GM source told the website that it's a done deal. A Holden spokesman told Drive that in terms of exports, the focus is presently on the Caprice PPV, but added that other deals are being pursued. There's good reason to be hopeful. GM North America President Mark Reuss was the boss at Holden in 2008 and 2009, and clearly knows just how good the product is.

The G8 won widespread praise during its brief tenure, and the lack of a legit sport sedan is a glaring hole in Chevy's otherwise comprehensive lineup. It's also important to remember that thanks to the Pontiac G8, most of the development to federalize the Aussie four-door has already been done. It would likely not take much to get the current VE Series II sedan ready for a U.S. encore. Hell, if it actually happens, maybe this time GM could even go through with the ute introduction, too. Naming the Chevy version would be a snap, after all.

Fingers crossed, everybody. Thanks to TriShield for the heads-up!

[source: Drive.com.au]

G8 redux? Chevy comeback rumored for Holden Commodore originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=DEcg75KCQmg:lmEPM9VESuQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=DEcg75KCQmg:lmEPM9VESuQ:V_sGL
DEcg75KCQmg

View the full article

Finally some more good news. This is a car I will actually buy! Priced between 35-40K and I am sold. The Camaro is just a no go for me, it has no room. If GM won't sell this car then I will try and eek out a Caprice PPV as a back up plan. If not I am heading over to a Dodge dealer and going for a Charger R/T, which I don't want to do... At that point I am back to a 3/4 ton GM crew cab truck. (Like my sig.)

Edited by gm4life

Well this story has been around for a long time. I it nice to see more being said. The Chevy guys like to call it their Camaro with 4 doors from what I read.

Maybe this will lead up to an anouncment in Detroit in January for a time line? Right around now is when word starts to leak on the anouncment and cars that will be at the NA autoshow.

The last I saw anyhting on this the car was expected to be limited and at least $35-40K.

Word was 2012 or 2013 the last story I saw on it.

Lets hold out hope for the Ute for Camino.

Finally some more good news. This is a car I will actually buy! Priced between 35-40K and I am sold. The Camaro is just a no go for me, it has no room. If GM won't sell this car then I will try and eek out a Caprice PPV as a back up plan. If not I am heading over to a Dodge dealer and going for a Charger R/T, which I don't want to do... At that point I am back to a 3/4 ton GM crew cab truck. (Like my sig.)

After getting 10k off sticker of course.

Anyway, not really new news, but good to hear nonetheless. Always liked the Commodore, handsome and well proportioned and a genuine sport sedan. I never really cared what brand sold it as long as someone in the US did.

With that said, I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the new Charger, which has a superior new interior, stunning new looks, and more balls than all of the male employees at Toyota put together.

The IPO is now done, the greenies are back in the weeds and bloodied so the fuel sucking big v8 car is free to emerge again, not that this hasn't been a forgone conclusion by anyone with a brain for quite a while now. it's just that GM couldn't talk about it.....

elections are over, IPO is done, the volt is out, the cruze, all the goody two shoes things GM needed to do to get warm fuzzies again, now that that is out of the way, GM can go back to providing a few bad ass vehicles on the lot, because there are some honest to goodness real folk out there that want this kind of car.

and let's not forget GM needed to regroup and correct some of the zeta f-kups. weight, and some other items. for example, if this chevy comes with window switches on the center console, then we know GM is not that bright still. Plus the mpg issue is even more daunting now.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The last I saw anyhting on this the car was expected to be limited and at least $35-40K.

Word was 2012 or 2013 the last story I saw on it.

Still holding out hope... but if they can't sell a $25K-$35K Pontiac G8, how is an identical Chevy going to get $35K-$40K?

This is were the Everything-as-a-Chevy plan fails, IMHO.

Still holding out hope... but if they can't sell a $25K-$35K Pontiac G8, how is an identical Chevy going to get $35K-$40K?

Someone at GM a while back said the plan was to bring in the car as a performance model in limited numbers. Limited due to the fact they could not take the hit on CAFE. Not sure if this plan is what they are holding too or not. The G8 was termed limited also so what is their limited number. GT 8 GT limted or GXP limited?

Limited numbers is not a real bad thing for Chevy as it will keep demand up and leave the $10,000 discouts out so they can sell fewer cars and make more money. But that is not going to help us if we want to buy.

It would be nice if they bring in car as the Chevy version of the GXP as we never really got many of these before Pontiac died.

Gm for the most is moving in the direction Luzt kept wanting to go in. Ruess may be the younger Lutz Ratter was looking for. In his book he said Lutz told him to look for a few guys like him only younger. With the flag ship Cadillac alive and the G8 coming back I wonder how many more Lutz ideas will return.

Edited by hyperv6

The G8 was one of GM's best selling models until the plug was pulled. It just wasn't best selling enough to hold up all of Pontiac on it's own while the rest of the lineup floundered.

The G8 was one of GM's best selling models until the plug was pulled. It just wasn't best selling enough to hold up all of Pontiac on it's own while the rest of the lineup floundered.

Precisely true.

In fact, it was the second fastest selling sedan (right behind the Prius) when Pontiac was killed.

And the ultimate dunderhead Fritz decided not to continue the car as a Chevy!

Flippin' moron!

Someone at GM a while back said the plan was to bring in the car as a performance model in limited numbers. Limited due to the fact they could not take the hit on CAFE. Not sure if this plan is what they are holding too or not. The G8 was termed limited also so what is their limited number. GT 8 GT limted or GXP limited?

Limited numbers is not a real bad thing for Chevy as it will keep demand up and leave the $10,000 discouts out so they can sell fewer cars and make more money. But that is not going to help us if we want to buy.

GM can't do "limited". When GM brings us a car that is limited, the dealers abuse it. Then it takes an initial sales hit due to $10K dealer markup... the critics pan it as a failure. Then the dealers start to panic, dump pricing... now its being given away and even if it hits 90% of its target sales, its panned as a failure by the GM bean counters and as a failure by the journalists because it didn't sell at 3x its limit.

We watched this happen with the Allante, modern GTO, SSR, Solstice/Sky, G8 and so on.

GM needs the everyday exposure of these kinds of cars on the road, in Charger numbers. If the Charger can exist in CAFE-land, the Zeta can.

After getting 10k off which one the truck or "SS"? What exactly, are you getting at? I make no bones about it, when I go car shopping I get a good deal. :smilewide:

It's funny because you did so much bitching about "Government Motors" yet see no problem with continuing one of the practices that led to bankruptcy. Or do you not think that people demanding 10k off en masse would have an effect on the bottom line?

• Upvote 2

It's funny because you did so much bitching about "Government Motors" yet see no problem with continuing one of the practices that led to bankruptcy. Or do you not think that people demanding 10k off en masse would have an effect on the bottom line?

I too will demand as much off the price as I can get, I do so with every major purchase. I don't ask any manufacturer to sell to me at a loss, but I'll certainly take whatever they are willing to give. You'd be a fool not to.

Clyde

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not the masses per say. I do not hide it, I LOVE a good deal. Case in point my Torrent 24K sticker, picked it up for 16K (without tax). Then again that was with the massive rebate, invoice price, and my 2K off my GM card. I did bitch about Government Motors because the government should not own a car company, now that the IPO is issued, I am happy again. Practices the pushed them into bankruptcy wasn't cutting a deal on a few odd ball model year old clearance vehicles, trust me.

Edited by gm4life
  • Downvote 2

What got GM in trouble was building cars that weren't as good as the competition then needing to bribe customers to buy them with things like $8k rebates and GM card points. That conditioned proletarian to think GM=new car for the price of a used one, so when they do come out with something decent, the cheap asses still expect to get it for 40% off sticker. Just look back to when you said you'd consider a G8 GXP if you could get it deeply discounted. Not exactly the type of thinking that helps the bottom line.

A few bucks, or a couple grand on a closeout, aren't the issue, its expecting several grand off a new model that kills the bottom line. Demanding $3k off a 2010 Cobalt LS that been on the lot is understandable but wanting to slice $7k off a Camaro SS that just rolled off the truck is assholery.

• Upvote 3

I too will demand as much off the price as I can get, I do so with every major purchase. I don't ask any manufacturer to sell to me at a loss, but I'll certainly take whatever they are willing to give. You'd be a fool not to.

Clyde

i've never understood people who obsess about 'GM is selling this for x grand off sticker'.

first off, that assumes that everyone is stupid enough to pay as much as possible for a depreciating asset.

second of all, it assumes you're s dipstick enough to always pay what people ask you.

third, it ignores the fact that MSRP's get pushed up each year to help the residual values of the older models, and to continue to allow wiggle room in financing deals. MFR's don't always push the MSRP's up for profit purposes. Generally the cars will always have the highest transaction prices and most profit probably in year two of the model run i would guess, while the desirability is high, supply is still not a glut, and people are buying the more expensive versions.

go to target right now and Christmas product is full priced. It won't quite so sell as much until towards the end of this week for about 2 weeks after that. then its value really drops and it needs to be marked down.

You set your pricing at different spots in the life cycle of a product, and each step will have a different actual market value, transaction value, and profit margin / volume. But overall its engineered to over its life cycle provide profitability for the entire run as a whole. The prices and production and such are set vs. the costs of manufacturing and labor and the cost of money etc.

But generally the will always year to year continue to bump up the pricing as far as list so that over a 10 year period for example, there are no huge gaps in the list value. Its how they grow the residual values and explain them on the leases and such. to disturb that continuity in the baseline numbers would majorly disrupt the market.

incentives then are point in time mechanisms to adjust to the micromarket periods, the ebb and flow, accounting for production issues, sales and seasonal issues, and such. No single manufacturer even can boast to have a fully stocked line of fresh, MSRP vehicles. Most vehicles now need to follow the formula of 'hot and close to list' at inception and then once established, they get stale, but you still need to make your production run and you still need a certain market share percentage. Incentives are the way to meet the market and what the customer will pay. To not have the mechanisms to bend to that (i.e. incentives) is insane because someone else will put you out of business.

GM's old problem was the product was still inferior. The product is improved now. Not all of it is there where it needs to be yet, but no automaker can be so brazen as to overcharge for ANYTHING these days. And IMO any customer that pays list just to say their car was popular is an idiot. You cannot justify paying an inflated price for any vehicle in this market, there is too much competition and always a better option.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Again, there is a difference between demanding discounts on a car nobody wants (G6, Cobalt) and one that is worth the something close to the asking price. I wouldn't pay sticker for a CTS-V but I wouldn't walk away when the dealer refused to go down to $26,000

• Upvote 1