TCC: 2007 Cadillac Escalade Review

Variance

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Bigger, better and blingier.

by Paul A. Eisenstein (2006-03-27)

Climbing into the new 2007 Cadillac Escalade, I get the feeling that I am seriously underdressed. No gold chains, no diamond stud in my ear. And my raggy jeans definitely would not pass muster on MTV.

Ever since the first 'Slade hit the streets, back in 1999, this massive SUV has proven the product of choice among rappers and rock stars. And if the looks we got tooling around San Diego during Caddy's recent preview were any indication, the new '07 model is likely to maintain its image as the king of all bling.

To be honest, I never quite understood the appeal of the original Escalade. It was a quick fix, little more than bolting a Cadillac wreath-and-crest onto a GMC Yukon Denali, and didn't really come together. The second and third-generation models were progressively better. The new version is, without question, the best yet. Though it does suffer from a few notable flaws, the 2007 Escalade is arguably the best full-size domestic ute on the market.

Visually, it finally fits into the new look of Cadillac. Sure, the new Escalade shares its platform, known internally as the GMT900, with the likes of the Denali and Chevrolet Tahoe, but the styling is distinctly Caddy. Gone is the kludgy cladding. There's plenty of chrome, but it's surprisingly tasteful in application. The new 'Slade's sheetmetal is taut and angular, in keeping with the Art & Science design theme popularized by Caddy's CTS sedan and SRX crossover. Gaps are tight, the bumpers flowing into the body. The oversized, crosshatch grille was strongly influenced by the popular Cadillac Sixteen concept vehicle.

Recognizing mounting concerns about fuel economy, GM engineers put a lot of emphasis on aerodynamics. Such things as the steeply raked windshield help reduce wind drag about 11 percent, according to Cadillac, and though 13 mpg city/17 highway might not sound like much, those are good numbers for a vehicle of this size and heft.

Cadillac also focused on noise and vibration and with one exception, we give the new SUV high grades. Our particular tester developed an annoying whistle once we hit 50 mph. We isolated it to the driver's mirror; there was no problem on the passenger side. Other test vehicles did not experience this problem, so we'll keep our fingers crossed this is an early snag that Caddy will quickly correct.

Best in showy

The Escalade gets a new interior as well, and it is, in our opinion, the best in the entire Cadillac lineup. Though there's still a little bit of that chintzy black plastic in the center stack, the overall look is refined and elegant, just the right mix of wood and chrome to give meaning to the Cadillac badge in the center of the steering wheel.

The instrument panel has been moved forward and down a bit, improving visibility. The gauges are tastefully refined without being gimmicky. The clock, however, is absolutely useless in daylight. It's angled just right to ensure it's always in glare. There's a huge, widescreen video display that serves as the heart of the Escalade's electronics, including its navigation system and Bose audio.

What's missing is a Bluetooth hands-free phone link. With a growing number of states banning the use of handheld cellphones, this technology is not only convenient, but essential. Yes, you can opt for the OnStar system instead, but we're not fond of that feature, at least not for making cellphone calls. We'll stick with our little Palm Treo - at least once Caddy finally adds Bluetooth, most likely next year.

Gary White, the man in charge of General Motors' full-size trucks, doesn't deny the delay, though he does defend it, insisting his goal was to make the Escalade (and its sibling SUVs) the best trucks possible in terms of ride, handling, performance, and towing.

But Bluetooth is just one of several features you have reason to expect from a luxury vehicle, whether car or truck, but which are absent on the Escalade. Another is express, or power-up, windows. You'll find that feature in even a mid-level Hyundai, but not the Escalade, at least until next year. The 'Slade could also use a power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel. Indeed, there's no telescoping feature at all. Instead, you have to settle for power-adjustable pedals.

Limber lugger

That said, our complaints were few indeed. Heading east from downtown San Diego , we raced up into the mountains, charging a procession of steep and winding back roads that would have challenged a sports sedan. At nearly 5700 pounds, the Escalade has a lot of heft to haul around, but the optional 6.2-liter V-8 in our test vehicle never struggled, even on the most aggressive hill climbs.

That 6.2-liter V-8 is notable in several ways. It's the first time a big, mass-market OHV engine has been equipped with variable valve timing. And in 2008, GM will add its new displacement-on-demand technology, which allows one bank of cylinders to shut off when power demand is light. That should boost fuel economy by several mpg.

And we found the new six-speed transmission equally up to the task. Unlike some competitors, it didn't play hunt-and-seek on the hills, but found the right gear and stayed there.

We purposely chose a test vehicle with the optional 22-inch wheels, rather than the standard 18s. These are the largest factory-spec wheels ever offered, at least since the days of wooden spoke wheels. Caddy has priced them at $2295, a heck of a deal considering dealers typically get as much as $6000 for aftermarket wheels of this size. More than half of all early buyers are ticking the box for the 22s.

I normally try to avoid wheels bigger than 20 inches. Anything larger is usually suitable for nothing rougher than slow, boulevard cruising. But if you hadn't been told, you'd probably not even notice with the new Escalade. Cadillac engineers have done a great job tuning the suspension, and even with the big wheels - which add about 6.5 pounds of unsprung mass at each corner - the new 'Slade's ride is surprisingly comfortable.

And handling remains unexpectedly taut for a vehicle weighing in at nearly 5700 pounds. Flogging this beast around a corner, our seat-of-the-pants test told us the '07 is the most predictable and nimble of the American full-size utes. Give credit to the Cadillac Stabilitrak systems, an electronic suspension that is the fastest and most responsive on the market.

The ute also features some great brakes, a much-needed improvement. There are largely rotors and calipers, and the pedal feel is both firmer and far more linear than those in the last Escalade. That fits the mantra for the GMT900 development team, "Lives bigger, drives smaller."

The interior is downright cavernous, with three rows of seats standard. You can opt for seven or eight-passenger configurations, but don't expect to stick good friends in the back row. If it's a long drive, they might not be too happy, once they're pried out. The seats up front, however, were incredibly comfortable, with just enough bolstering to keep you in place on tight turns.

Credit for many of the improvements in the Escalade goes to the underlying GMT900 frame. It's not only stiffer, but also boasts a much larger crush zone. The new SUV was also designed to reduce the likelihood of injuries to those in a passenger car it might strike. Caddy's new SUV may not have quite as many safety bells and whistles as some of the imports, but with its rollover mitigation program and rollover airbags, it has made some significant strides.

There's been a lot of debate over the timing of the Escalade's launch. Along with GM's other full-size SUVs, it hits market at a time when fuel prices hover near record levels. GM's car czar, Bob Lutz, has said he expects the U.S. full-size ute market to be notably smaller than when the GMT900 program got underway.

But those who expected big problems need look at the sales numbers. So far, the automaker's new SUVs are scoring big with consumers, and based on our initial experience, we expect the Escalade to do at least as well, if not better. It clearly has the bling to get those dealer cash registers going ka-ching. While there are a few problems we'd like to see Cadillac address, the new Escalade is about as good as a full-size SUV gets.

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Base price: $57,280

Engine: 6.2-liter V-8, 375 hp/430 lb-ft

Transmission: Six-speed automatic, all-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 202.5 x 79.0 x 74.3 in

Wheelbase: 116.0 in

Curb weight: 5665 lb

Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 13/17 mpg

Standard safety features: Dual front airbags; three-row curtain airbags; daytime running lights; anti-lock brakes; traction and stability control with rollover mitigation; OnStar; tire pressure monitoring

Major standard features: Power windows, locks and mirrors; heated leather power seats; tri-zone automatic climate control; power adjustable pedals; tilt steering wheel; Bose AM/FM/XM/six-disc, in-dash CD changer; rain-sensing wipers

Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles

Link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...181.A10195.html

...the 2007 Escalade is arguably the best full-size domestic ute on the market.

...the most predictable and nimble of the American full-size utes.

Why limit the comparison merely to within the giant domestic class, where there is a grand total of .... 2?

...the new Escalade is about as good as a full-size SUV gets.

Is this again supposed to mean 'only vs. the Navigator'... or are we talking the whole NADM class here??

'Journalists' still fall into this outmoded trap of segragating domestics to only competing against each other.

Though it does suffer from a few notable flaws, the 2007 Escalade is arguably the best full-size domestic ute on the market.

Here we F***ing go again.... LIMIT the buyer base! NO cross shopping because we all know that IMPORTS and DOMESTICS are bought by different calibers of people...RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

The new 'Slade's sheetmetal is taut and angular, in keeping with the Art & Science design theme popularized by Caddy's CTS sedan and SRX crossover.

Yeah, because the previous gen Escalade had NOTHING to do with that... I mean, it was after all, the FIRST angular ART & SCIENCE Cadillac. (Sarcasm)

The Escalade gets a new interior as well, and it is, in our opinion, the best in the entire Cadillac lineup. Though there's still a little bit of that chintzy black plastic in the center stack, the overall look is refined and elegant, just the right mix of wood and chrome to give meaning to the Cadillac badge in the center of the steering wheel.

AS USUAL... "GM STILL can't do it right." FWIW I think the Denali's interior is twice as nice as the 'Slades.

The instrument panel has been moved forward and down a bit, improving visibility. The gauges are tastefully refined without being gimmicky. The clock, however, is absolutely useless in daylight. It's angled just right to ensure it's always in glare. There's a huge, widescreen video display that serves as the heart of the Escalade's electronics, including its navigation system and Bose audio.

STU-PID.....

What's missing is a Bluetooth hands-free phone link. With a growing number of states banning the use of handheld cellphones, this technology is not only convenient, but essential. Yes, you can opt for the OnStar system instead, but we're not fond of that feature, at least not for making cellphone calls. We'll stick with our little Palm Treo - at least once Caddy finally adds Bluetooth, most likely next year.

Okay.... So... Because you "Don't LIke" the award winning feature provided on this vehicle because you're a whiney little b*tch. WE'RE supposed to listen to you complain about it?!??!? The feature was there, YOU SUBJECTIVELY CHOSE NOT TO USE IT. STOP whining!

Gary White, the man in charge of General Motors' full-size trucks, doesn't deny the delay, though he does defend it, insisting his goal was to make the Escalade (and its sibling SUVs) the best trucks possible in terms of ride, handling, performance, and towing.

But Bluetooth is just one of several features you have reason to expect from a luxury vehicle, whether car or truck, but which are absent on the Escalade. Another is express, or power-up, windows. You'll find that feature in even a mid-level Hyundai, but not the Escalade, at least until next year. The 'Slade could also use a power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel. Indeed, there's no telescoping feature at all. Instead, you have to settle for power-adjustable pedals.

Oh, Jesus Christ.....

More of this Car & Driver-esque nitpicking bull$h!.... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Not ALL luxury cars feature this technology, and it'll be here in 7 months, so GET OVER IT!!!!! Just another LOSER trying to find ways to screw over GM.... Crying about stupid $h! like an express up button.

And what's more, he ACTUALLY made the rep defend these things... I would've given the guy the FINGER and said crawl back in your press room.

our seat-of-the-pants test told us the '07 is the most predictable and nimble of the American full-size utes.

Once again... LIMITING the buyer base.

Caddy's new SUV may not have quite as many safety bells and whistles as some of the imports, but with its rollover mitigation program and rollover airbags,

Care to justify that with facts?!?!?!?!?!

Nope?!?!?!?! That's what I thought.

****Overall, a BEGRUDGINGLY good review****

Oh, and I love how all these IDIOT journalists play the Escalades popularity off like it's some kind of BAD thing or HORRIBLE image... It seems to me that having the most ELITE and INFLUENTIAL people in America (Hollywood) enamored with your product would be a GREAT thing that would translate wide scale success. But, then again, Cadillac is a successful american division... I guess they're all just jealous that IT slipped through the cracks. (Eventhough the popularity WAS considered a good thing not 4 or 5 years ago, I guess they're "Past that now") Well, either that or they are doing the typical liberal elitest thing of looking down their noses at those who are different. I don't see it being thrown in Honda's face that their new Civic is the WHITE TRASH posterboy for mavens of Ricerville. I don't see it being thrown in Toyota's face that Toyotas and Lexi are bought mostly by SELF RIGHTEOUS yuppies that actually know NOTHING of cars/car buying facts yet only buy them because they're TOLD to and because of their need to affirm that they are right, righteous and liked at all times by the "onlookers" that they're trying to maintain their precious 'holier than thou' image for. (READ: MEDIA---They're the type that buy Toyotas and Lexi) I don't see it being thrown in Subarus face that their cars are the mode of transportation of choice for BURNED OUT flower children who shave their dogs more often than they shave their legs, or lame coffee shop types that are so out of touch with reality that they might as well go HUG THAT TREE since that's about all they're worth.

NO, NOPE.... Don't see those COMMON stereotypes (That could also be considered positives if worded differently) ONLY the domestics suffer "STIGMA" in THIS country/media. And ANYTHING/EVERYTHING seems to BE a stigma!

The ELITE of AMERICAN are enamoured with Cadillacs yet it's now somehow a STIGMA!

I'll stop short of a complete rant here.

Don't forget either that the engine does not have "displacement on demand" anymore... its called Active Fuel Managment!! Where was this person when the Escalade was introduced?

At the Honda Civic Temple paying homage with the other "49 journalists who selected the Civic and Ridgeline as the Car and Truck of the year"

(AS Honda would say)

Ya know the bluetooth thing is a bit of an annoyance. It's such a minor add on these days and nearly every other luxury car manufacturer has it.

It's stupid to use the OnStar personal calling for a number of reasons.

1. Very expensive compaired to your standard cell plan

2. Have to keep a second phone book programed

3. Have to keep a second phone plan running

4. No choice of networks. Verizon only for digital. AT&T wireless for analog. If you live in an area with weak coverage, you're screwed.

5. Multiple numbers. I have no idea what the number is for my Cadillac... I certainly don't hand it out to people and say "Try me on the car phone". I use one phone, my mobile phone.

6. With XM Radio and Traffic Naviagtion, there is no longer a need for the Directions and connections plan.

And that's me as a Cadillac owner and Onstar subscriber.

My tech concern with my car is that the CD deck won't play certain CDs. Should I just get a new car and join the rest of you?

No, just buy new CDs.

Now if your car could only play CD supplied by GM that cost 25% more, only worked in your one car <have to buy a second CD even if your other car is also a GM>, couldn't be used out of the car, then... yes.

Damn Biased press....

....BTW, that's a nice review with LEGITIMATE gripes....

Here's a possible explanation: I believe that the Domestic qualifier may be because the Range Rover, MB GL (or G) or BMW X5 may be cross-shopped with this vehicle. All may have certain strengths that require that qualfication.....

Ya know the bluetooth thing is a bit of an annoyance. It's such a minor add on these days and nearly every other luxury car manufacturer has it.

4. No choice of networks. Verizon only for digital. AT&T wireless for analog. If you live in an area with weak coverage, you're screwed.

5. Multiple numbers.  I have no idea what the number is for my Cadillac... I certainly don't hand it out to people and say "Try me on the car phone". I use one phone, my mobile phone.

6. With XM Radio and Traffic Naviagtion, there is no longer a need for the Directions and connections plan.

I think it's ridiculous that the guy is that *Bitchy*

For god's sake... If it's that big of an issue, go to BEST BUY and buy a $50 Bluetooth wireless headset. I think the owner of a $57,000 luxury SUV can afford that.

Damn Biased press....

What, no; "Where are the people crying import bias when GM ACTUALLY builds product right and gets good reviews?"

Looks like GM BUILT this one right, yet we get the same biased :bs: and WILL CONTINUE to get it until the common qualifier is; "I buy an import because it's just better...because."

....BTW, that's a nice review with LEGITIMATE gripes....

Yeah.. For people who haven't got anything better to do than rag on domestics.

Here's a possible explanation: I believe that the Domestic qualifier may be because the Range Rover, MB GL (or G) or BMW X5 may be cross-shopped with this vehicle. All may have certain strengths that require that qualfication.....

:huh:

I didn't read the review, but I thought I'd post some of C&D's quibbles (the review was almost 100% postitive except for 1 paragraph with their quibbles):

- One editor thought the clock was hard to read

- No one-touch-up power touch window (a justifiable complaint with an as-tested price of $66k)

- No dead pedal

- No telescoping steering wheel and the tilt is not power (both should be power for $66k, IMO)

- Ignition in steering column when there's no column lock

- No entry-assist handle for driver

- Lower towing capacity than outgoing model

- No fold-flat third row

- One editor thought the clock was hard to read

Subjective

- No one-touch-up power touch window

Agreed

No dead pedal

Negligible

- No telescoping steering wheel and the tilt is not power

Agreed, especially since the DeVille has had power tilt/telescope since forever.

- Ignition in steering column when there's no column lock

????

- No entry-assist handle for driver

Negligible. Use the steering wheel like Tony Soprano. If he don't need one, I don't need one.

- Lower towing capacity than outgoing model

Um. Not quite. The 2wd '07 is rated for 7600lbs while the '06 is at 7400lbs. The AWD '07 is down to 7400lbs vs 8100lbs, but still tows comperably to its competitors (more than the LX, less than the Navigator by a few hundred #s)

- No fold-flat third row

Preferrential. I would argue the ESV is for third-row utility and comfort.

Can someone name a luxury import that compares with Slade? You cant. You really cant. LX and GX? Please...both have as much personality as a hollowed out manequinn. Range Rover? Possibly, but no presence. I'd see this as Escalades biggest competitor. The previous Escalade, with a 90's pickup interior was still the most iconic SUV out there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Oh and dont metion the QX56...that was Infinitis hiccup. It's discerning to imports that the Escalade has established itself as the premier SUV for high end individuals. If GM stays where its been, itll never get knocked off. But alas! Here comes the CTS. Funny how eerily quiet GM has been about the redesign. G35, IS, 3 Series...time to stake claim in another market.

Personally, I don't really want built in Bluetooth. It drains the battery on my phone a lot faster. I have my bluetooth speaker that I turn on when I get a call.

If it had bluetooth, he'd be bitching that the display didn't tell him aho was calling or the radio didn't automatically play his personal ringtones.

Can someone name a luxury import that compares with Slade? You cant. You really cant. LX and GX? Please...both have as much personality as a hollowed out manequinn. Range Rover? Possibly, but no presence. I'd see this as Escalades biggest competitor. The previous Escalade, with a 90's pickup interior was still the most iconic SUV out there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Oh and dont metion the QX56...that was Infinitis hiccup. It's discerning to imports that the Escalade has established itself as the premier SUV for high end individuals. If GM stays where its been, itll never get knocked off. But alas! Here comes the CTS. Funny how eerily quiet GM has been about the redesign. G35, IS, 3 Series...time to stake claim in another market.

While the escalade has a great combination of features and looks that makes it an excellent choice in this market, I think you might be tripping on your own tongue with some of these points....

Ex. RR has no presence...please. It's only the most universally respected off-road brand on the planet...and, BTW, the nearly identical RR sport has almost single handedly accounted for LR's sales turnaround in this country.

As for the CTS, more of the same spin: wait 'til next year!!! Well, each time I've 'waited' for GM, they've put out another disappointment or were playing catchup with the latest stuff--keep in mind a turbo 3, a new G and a V8 IS will be out either before or during the CTS's intro as an '08, because the competition doesn't stand still! They ARE relentless---that's why the best stuff needs to be out NOW! The CTS should have had a new interior, a N* option and a DSG available already....to outpace its competitors...when you shoot at a moving target, you should fire ahead of its path, not directly at it.

Until GM learns that, they're in trouble...think British auto industry trouble. They don't deserve your fervor and support until they can prove otherwise, IMO.

Ex. RR has no presence...please. It's only the most universally respected off-road brand on the planet...and, BTW, the nearly identical RR sport has almost single handedly accounted for LR's sales turnaround in this country.

While I don't disagree and I DO love the RR Sport. I could argue that Hummer and Jeep BOTH have a higher respect for offroad prowess because they are volume divisions, if for nothing else.

As for the CTS, more of the same spin: wait 'til next year!!! Well, each time I've 'waited' for GM, they've put out another disappointment or were playing catchup with the latest stuff--keep in mind a turbo 3, a new G and a V8 IS will be out either before or during the CTS's intro as an '08, because the competition doesn't stand still! They ARE relentless---that's why the best stuff needs to be out NOW!  The CTS should have had a new interior, a N* option and a DSG available already....to outpace its competitors...when you shoot at a moving target, you should fire ahead of its path, not directly at it.

I agree 100% BUT I've seen the CTS and I think it's probably the most revolutionary new GM product in 20 years.. NO JOKE, the product is finally here (Of course, I'm no insider either so things could change without me knowing)

Until GM learns that, they're in trouble...think British auto industry trouble. They don't deserve your fervor and support until they can prove otherwise, IMO.

LOL.... Why should GM BEG for our support???? They KNOW how much trouble they're in (Eventhough they haven't panicked in the press--for good reason) Furthermore, GM has done nothing to lose my respect. EVery car I've owned from them has been excellent and has served it's purpose beautifully...

NOT TO MENTION they are a HUGE part of our american history and culture which should count for SOME respect anyway (Although maybe not enough to warrent a purchase)

THis sounds like an elitest (READ: Media) point of view... MAKE GM PAY!!!!! PAY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE!!!! THE HORRIBLE SINS THAT THEY CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE!!!!!!

And it's a lot of the reason why GM IS failing so badly now, it's a self fulfilling prophecy...

Why the animosity???? Why does GM need a literal timeout???? The last 100 years of cars has been more GOOD than bad BY FAR, yet people such as yourself are hellbent on killing GM despite a turnaround JUST TO PROVE A POINT. GM puts out a few bad cars and that's cause for their death DESPITE all they've contributed to this country and despite the MILLIONS of good vehicles they've made and lives they've saved and enhanced????? MORE is at work here IMO.

Coming to a GM website and telling us to repent for our 'sins of GM' sounds self loathing and out of touch, or maybe I just don't get it because apparently the media and half of america does. Or maybe they were just weak GM fans who jumped ship in the face of the import 'revolution' and sold out.

It's a sad day that someone can state the obvious in a post on a GM board about the competitors of the Escalade. AND state it in the same context as an auto 'journalist' would in relation to Detroit, yet he is supposed to defend himself, on this GM BOARD no less, whilst you tell us to turn our back on GM completely without even giving us proof or at least good reasons why that post was wrong, just because... Are you sure you don't write for an auto rag in your spare time?

P.S. I'm not trying to be personally critical to you enzl, I realise my views are communist-like in relation to GM and probably bear the same questions, but I just don't understand the mindset that produced that part of your post.

THis sounds like an elitest (READ: Media) point of view... MAKE GM PAY!!!!! PAY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE!!!! THE HORRIBLE SINS THAT THEY CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE!!!!!!

And it's a lot of the reason why GM IS failing so badly now, it's a self fulfilling prophecy...

Why the animosity???? Why does GM need a literal timeout???? The last 100 years of cars has been more GOOD than bad BY FAR, yet people such as yourself are hellbent on killing GM despite a turnaround JUST TO PROVE A POINT. GM puts out a few bad cars and that's cause for their death DESPITE all they've contributed to this country and despite the MILLIONS of good vehicles they've made and lives they've saved and enhanced????? MORE is at work here IMO.

Coming to a GM website and telling us to repent for our 'sins of GM' sounds self loathing and out of touch, or maybe I just don't get it because apparently the media and half of america does. Or maybe they were just weak GM fans who jumped ship in the face of the import 'revolution' and sold out.

It's a sad day that someone can state the obvious in a post on a GM board about the competitors of the Escalade. AND state it in the same context as an auto 'journalist' would in relation to Detroit, yet he is supposed to defend himself, on this GM BOARD no less, whilst you tell us to turn our back on GM completely without even giving us proof or at least good reasons why that post was wrong, just because... Are you sure you don't write for an auto rag in your spare time?

P.S. I'm not trying to be personally critical to you enzl, I realise my views are communist-like in relation to GM and probably bear the same questions, but I just don't understand the mindset that produced that part of your post.

Firstly, I could care less whose board this is or your opinion of my opinion, so lets get that out of the way....but if you'd like to hear why I feel the way I do, here it goes:

1. Nobody at GM needs to beg for forgiveness...my explanation of why people feel the way they do about GM stands on its own merit...GM's response to that is the company's own business. I think the reply needs to be class leading product, others here are less judgmental, and that's what makes horseraces.

2. My livelihood, in large part, is dependent upon GM for my personal success. FOG, I don't know what you do for a living, but my guess is that you don't have 400 employees dependent upon you and how your business is doing, from day-to-day, in order to feed their families...just a guess, but, based on your rants here, I'd assume you're not quite at that point yet....

3. Because I consistently deliver excellent work for the General, I expect the same in return (I respect and hold my PDI guys to the same standard as my managers)...and, I'm not getting it. If I could share some of the internal memo's or GM rep e-mails or sales figures with you guys, it would make your eyes pop out of your heads.

4. My company has outperformed our region for 3.5 years...coincidentally, the same amount of time I have been here....we meet or beat or monthly goals in a market where my competitors are selling 20% of projections! So, in a sense, I'm doing more for GM than most of the people who populate this site, making me someone who has the right to say whatever he wants and I have the authority of experience to back up my thoughts.

So, when you get upset because I'm not drinking the Kool-aid, keep in mind that I'm doing more to help than most....and quite frankly, I don't feel the need to apologize for my positions or the fact that GM has made mediocrity acceptable (or perhaps, more correctly, society has made it acceptable and created an environment where everyone (including GM) is a 'victim' rather than just admitting that they are lying in a bed of their own making.

Media bias is a myth, much like the myth of Toyota quality or Bigfoot...the fact that people can honestly read that Escalade article and nit-pick at some mildly negative issues in an overwhelmingly positive piece indicates some kind of loss of perspective I cannot help correct.

Sorry for those to whom this isn't intended, I'm just constantly amazed at how deep these phobias run here.

Edited by enzl

As someone who shops in this segment, the bluetooth thing is really a glaring omission. It's not a deal breaker for me, but such a minor <$100> feature should be at least and option. It's something that would put the Escalade over the top and no Toyoguy could say "see it doesn't even have bluetooth". It's a minor detail that shouldn't be overlooked simply due to the nature of the customers this type of vehicle attracts. Put bluetooth on as an unpackaged option and I guarentee you 90% of Escalades sold would have it.

You guys can explain it away all you want but it's still something Lexus has and Cadillac doesn't.

As far as the battery issue with bluetooth. You buy a car charger plug it in inside the center console where GM thoughtfully put a power point, pair the phone with the car, shut the console, and off you go.

There, no battery issues.

P.S. My phone runs for 3 days between charges with the BT always on.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Media bias is a myth, much like the myth of Toyota quality or Bigfoot...the fact that people can honestly read that Escalade article and nit-pick at some mildly negative issues in an overwhelmingly positive piece indicates some kind of loss of perspective I cannot help correct.

Sorry for those to whom this isn't intended, I'm just constantly amazed at how deep these phobias run here.

Every car has it's nit-picks, including the new Escalade. The 2007 Escalade is still best in class, nit-picks and all.

That said, there is media bias, it isn't a myth.

Examples:

Last months C&D that cited "japanese durability" as a highpoint on a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

C&D naming the new 3-series top mid-sized sport sedan when 1. it broke down on them three times, 2. It was the smallest of the bunch, bordering on compact, 3. The Lexus essentially had the same performance numbers.

CR listing the new Impala's reliability as questionable while giving an "undetermined" to the new Sonata.

CR listing the CTS's reliability as "poor" based on the 3.2 engine, an engine that hasn't been offered for sale in over a year and which about 5% of CTS's sold the prior year were equipped with.

Motor Trend's car and truck of the year.... when there were clearly better options.

Ignoring anything regarding Mercedes reliability. In this regard automobile "journalists" have attention defic..... OOOOhh.. 3 pointed star! <with appologies to Fly>

edit: sorry for grammer/spelling... I'm extremely tired.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

While the escalade has a great combination of features and looks that makes it an excellent choice in this market, I think you might be tripping on your own tongue with some of these points....

As for the CTS, more of the same spin: wait 'til next year!!! Well, each time I've 'waited' for GM, they've put out another disappointment or were playing catchup with the latest stuff--keep in mind a turbo 3, a new G and a V8 IS will be out either before or during the CTS's intro as an '08, because the competition doesn't stand still! They ARE relentless---that's why the best stuff needs to be out NOW!  The CTS should have had a new interior, a N* option and a DSG available already....to outpace its competitors...when you shoot at a moving target, you should fire ahead of its path, not directly at it.

I get your point, but if you think the RR has more presence than the Escalade, then you are mistaken. Seriously. First and foremost, Jeep and Hummer are more known off roaders than Land Rovers are. First of all. Second of all I mean street presence, where the new Escalade (have you seen one in black with the factory 22s) simply dominates. Can you show me as to what gives the Land Rover such a presence that it comepetes with the Escalade for rubber necking? I mean its an opinion thing, but if you see a Range Rover and a new Slade side by side, one will garner much more attention than the other.

The CTS is a different beast. Theres a reason the CTS was not shown on C & G a few months ago, even though they have the renderings of it. Curious how you've heard nothing about it for quite some time. The full size luxury sedan department obviously sees less competition than the mid-size luxury car market (300, Avalon, G35, IS350, 3 Series, A4, Passat) and less sales. That'd be like hiccuping on the truck market, which also mysteriously, has been kept unusually quiet. But you're right, GM does not deliver. Has not with the Tahoe, has not with the Escalade, and that new Aura, Sky, SRX, Avalanche, Enclave, and Camaro? Pfft. What kinds of crappy products is GM bringing to the table?? Good ole predictable GM.

As far as the battery issue with bluetooth. You buy a car charger plug it in inside the center console where GM thoughtfully put a power point, pair the phone with the car, shut the console, and off you go.

Well, mine doesn't. And having to take the phone out of my pocket and put it in the cradle to charge it rather takes away from the whole point of bluetooth for me. Which is why it's not an issue for me that Bluetooth is not standard yet. Even as someone who would never "shop in this segment", since I dislike SUV's

Edited by tmp

I'm confused.. I thought the Escalade was going to have standard 403hp... the article states 375hp/430 torque. Which is it?

Just checked the Cadillac website... it says the numbers are 403/417.

Well, mine doesn't.  And having to take the phone out of my pocket and put it in the cradle to charge it rather takes away from the whole point of bluetooth for me.  Which is why it's not an issue for me that Bluetooth is not standard yet.  Even as someone who would never "shop in this segment", since I dislike SUV's

I just want it available, doesn't have to be standard.

And by segment, I mean the high luxury set. That means everything from an STS to an Escalade, or a 5-series to an X7<guessing>. For about $100 it's just something an automotive journalist can lose his cookies over while writing about GM products. Give 'em less to complain about I say.

As someone who shops in this segment, the bluetooth thing is really a glaring omission. It's not a deal breaker for me, but such a minor <$100> feature should be at least and option. It's something that would put the Escalade over the top and no Toyoguy could say "see it doesn't even have bluetooth". It's a minor detail that shouldn't be overlooked simply due to the nature of the customers this type of vehicle attracts. Put bluetooth on as an unpackaged option and I guarentee you 90% of Escalades sold would have it.

You guys can explain it away all you want but it's still something Lexus has and Cadillac doesn't.

Why do people think the bluetooth thing is a major issue? I am sure the vehicle has all the neccessary wiring installed to make it easy to fit a Nokia or Sony Bluetooth kit, which will most likely be cheaper then a factory unit. Also from my experience the sound quality and consitency while using Bluetooth is not yet at the same standard as a fixed hands-free / cradle kit. Give me an audio input for a MP3 any day.

I would rather GM spend development time / money on things that really make a difference - variable valve timing, Active Fuel Management, 6 speed auto etc.

Edited by TKR

agreed, the Rover is a style leader in the SUV world, both the RR Sport and the original. Inside and out they are some of the best looking SUVs, and have caught on with the congnosceti of LA. they're damn cool looking and have caught up, at least in LA, with the Escalade in the full size luxury class [though the Rover overall is smaller in interior space---the lines are somewhat blurred in this price class]. They, and the Hummer, are the real competitors to the luxury SUV crown, Navi to a lesser extent than the top 3. In the other league, M-class, X5, RX are extremely popular, while the SRX is close behind.

the second point you made is troubling for me. DI won't be available in the 3.6 for NG CTS at launch...it could probably take two years for the DI engine pushing over 300 hp to arrive. Again a case of GM delaying the good technology that needs to be at rollout to ensure the most noise. I don't think it will have an incredible effect on sales, but it's another card that could have been played, and it is important in that class, with the IS, G35, 3-series moving to high performance engines.

Like you said, shooting at a moving target, you need to not only match them but outpace them. This is something GM has not consistently shown us it is willing to do. There has always been some sort of compromise with them. Hopefully, especially given all our ranting and raving over the years on this exact topic, this kind of thing just won't be happening in the future.

Edited by turbo200

5. Multiple numbers.  I have no idea what the number is for my Cadillac... I certainly don't hand it out to people and say "Try me on the car phone". I use one phone, my mobile phone.

Last I heard the new OnStar will link directly with your cell, assuming you use Verizon, so it is onestep above bluetooth.

Why limit the comparison merely to within the giant domestic class, where there is a grand total of .... 2?

Is this again supposed to mean 'only vs. the Navigator'... or are we talking the whole NADM class here??

'Journalists' still fall into this outmoded trap of segragating domestics to only competing against each other.

I won't give you this point, it nearly doesn't ever occur in recent articles, and if it does it's just a general reference, like this American car is finally well done. but I will concede to tripping over the reference in this article.

Otherwise, this is an excellent review. They rave over the experience. I don't get what people here are talking about. The way I see it, the people doing the nagging are the ones in this thread. I read the review, it was concise, listed detailed improvements, noted subtle improvements [placement of dash, overall driving experience]. I don't get it, what do you guys want? For them to scream buy this truck!

I agree the first paragraph is a bit of overdone style. But it's their backstory, sometimes they feel they have to do it to introduce thier tone and break up the rest of the story. Also, like I noted, I cringed when I read the domestic line. However, the review is glowing, terrific. Northie posted a review that he says is 100% positive. Why is everyone here getting riled on some [possibly/probably] objective, small complaints? I didn't go through all the complaints, nor do I care but third row space and flexibiltiy and the complaint about the black center plastic are fair. That center stack is one of my least favorite pieces of the STS, it's the same here.

Edited by turbo200

No, just buy new CDs.

Now if your car could only play CD supplied by GM that cost 25% more, only worked in your one car <have to buy a second CD even if your other car is also a GM>, couldn't be used out of the car, then... yes.

Maybe people need to spend more time actually driving then playing around with all there technology gadgets. No wonder insurance and everything else is so damned expensive!

Every car has it's nit-picks, including the new Escalade. The 2007 Escalade is still best in class, nit-picks and all.

That said, there is media bias, it isn't a myth. 

Examples:

Last months C&D that cited "japanese durability" as a highpoint on a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

C&D naming the new 3-series top mid-sized sport sedan when 1. it broke down on them three times, 2. It was the smallest of the bunch, bordering on compact, 3. The Lexus essentially had the same performance numbers.

CR listing the new Impala's reliability as questionable while giving an "undetermined" to the new Sonata.

re like

CR listing the CTS's reliability as "poor" based on the 3.2 engine, an engine that hasn't been offered for sale in over a year and which about 5% of CTS's sold the prior year were equipped with.

Motor Trend's car and truck of the year.... when there were clearly better options.

Ignoring anything regarding Mercedes reliability. In this regard automobile "journalists" have attention defic..... OOOOhh.. 3 pointed star! <with appologies to Fly>

edit: sorry for grammer/spelling... I'm extremely tired.

I have last month's C/D review of the Eclipse with me; the highs are "power top stows tidily, refined road manners, torquey and musical V-6."

Their 330 did break down, but that doesn't speak for every other problem-free 3-series. Apart from long-term tets, reliability is beyond their scope, and it shouldn't be a factor for them, IMO. This goes both ways, too; they shouldn't outright praise Toyota reliability just because it's a Toyota. And, not that it matters, but actually the BMW is larger than both the Audi and Lexus inside; and performance numbers can only tell half the story.

Actually, CR "recommends" the new Impala because of the past model's (excellent) reliability.

Re: the CTS, if that's the case, it seems more like poor fact-checking and poor knowledge of the subject than intentional bias. Either way, errors like these hurt credibility, and CR should make a greater effort to explain such limitations and corrections to their readers.

Nitpicking aside, all magazines with a consumer base need to be overhauled, IMO. As far as bias, it seems like most find it necessary to explain the historical-established-status-quo-background of the product before the actual driving/design characteristics, though personally, I think it's "a good thing" in a review. Many "suffer" more from inflated egos and eccentricities than agendas, and ultimately, it's up to the reader. I take everything with a grain of salt, but still enjoy the crudeness of C&D, the artfulness of Top Gear, etc..

I get your point, but if you think the RR has more presence than the Escalade, then you are mistaken. Seriously. First and foremost, Jeep and Hummer are more known off roaders than Land Rovers are. First of all. Second of all I mean street presence, where the new Escalade (have you seen one in black with the factory 22s) simply dominates. Can you show me as to what gives the Land Rover such a presence that it comepetes with the Escalade for rubber necking? I mean its an opinion thing, but if you see a Range Rover and a new Slade side by side, one will garner much more attention than the other.

The CTS is a different beast. Theres a reason the CTS was not shown on C & G a few months ago, even though they have the renderings of it. Curious how you've heard nothing about it for quite some time. The full size luxury sedan department obviously sees less competition than the mid-size luxury car market (300, Avalon, G35, IS350, 3 Series, A4, Passat) and less sales. That'd be like hiccuping on the truck market, which also mysteriously, has been kept unusually quiet. But you're right, GM does not deliver. Has not with the Tahoe, has not with the Escalade, and that new Aura, Sky, SRX, Avalanche, Enclave, and Camaro? Pfft. What kinds of crappy products is GM bringing to the table?? Good ole predictable GM.

I wasn't arguing more/less presence, rather, that there are other, logical competitors...RR or whatever, these chariots generally appeal to a cross section of clientele driven by the 'newest thing' mentality with a dollop of ego and penis envy...but that's just me (I'll resist the temptation to speculate on your 'rubbernecking'). I'd rather a wagon than an SUV any day of the week.

As for the new CTS, it isn't here yet, neither is the Aura, Enclave or Camaro, so I cannot give an educated opinion on any of those products....again, I must emphasize that these future products don't matter, as the previously promised 'game changers' have, with the exception of some Caddy's and the GMT900's, been subpar relative to their intended impact. (see Minivans, G6, 9-3, 9-2, LaCrosse, Colorado, Impala, et al. for the most recent examples. Many of these motors are now fleet specials...see http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...603290375/1148)

for more info on GM's 'hot' products being absorbed into fleets -5 of the top 10 are GM, including the G6, Grand Prix, Impala, 'Bu and Cobalt---4/5 products went on sale as 'all new, all better' in the last 2 years---

One day 'next year' is gonna be one year too late for the General.

Edited by enzl

• 3 months later...

has anybody heard about these updates??

When are they being released? My understanding was this fall (06) were going to get AFM, Express windows, Bluetooth, and maybe tele tilt power wheel??

Anybody heard anything on this. I am planning on a purchase around October and would like to know.

• 1 month later...

Okay.... So... Because you "Don't LIke" the award winning feature provided on this vehicle because you're a whiney little b*tch. WE'RE supposed to listen to you complain about it?!??!? The feature was there, YOU SUBJECTIVELY CHOSE NOT TO USE IT. STOP whining!

Oh, Jesus Christ.....

More of this Car & Driver-esque nitpicking bull&#036;h&#33;.... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Not ALL luxury cars feature this technology, and it'll be here in 7 months, so GET OVER IT!!!!! Just another LOSER trying to find ways to screw over GM.... Crying about stupid &#036;h&#33; like an express up button.

And what's more, he ACTUALLY made the rep defend these things... I would've given the guy the FINGER and said crawl back in your press room.

113003[/snapback]

FOG, are you serious.... These are legitimate gripes. It's a luxury brand, there's no excuse for there to be no blue tooth capability. NONE, so stop backing up GM's shortcomings. And all you can say is "and it'll be here in 7 months, so GET OVER IT!!!!!" except in the meantime other luxury brands have already implemented these features. If you keep making excuses for GM playing catch-up, you're going to get really tired really fast...because that's GM's MO.