NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Vauxhall Calibra in shock return

Vauxhall Calibra in shock return

Vauxhall boss confirms bold plans for a new Insignia based coupé, while the electric Ampera will spawn a whole new family of models.

car_photo_407515_7.jpg

By Nick Gibbs24th November 2010

The Vauxhall Calibra is back! Hot on the heels of our news that Ford is resurrecting the Capri as a Focus-based coupé comes confirmation that Vauxhall will create a successor to its popular Nineties two-door.

“I believe we should have one, so we will have one,” GM Europe chief Nick Reilly told Auto Express. As overall boss of Vauxhall and Opel, Reilly has the last word on what goes into production.

He pointed to the GTC (Gran Turismo Concept) coupé unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in 2007 as the inspiration, saying: “It will be exactly this type of car.” That concept went on to become the Insignia, which is likely to form the basis for the new sports machine.

The GTC was powered by a 2.8-litre V6 turbo, and the VXR version of the production car could build on the 320bhp of the hottest Insignia to create a cut-price version of Audi’s S5 coupé.

However, it’s expected that the smaller, mainly turbocharged units will offer a more appealing blend of economy and power, using Vauxhall’s forthcoming range of all-new, direct-injection petrol engines that, according to Reilly, will give economy savings of “at least 10 to 15 per cent”.

The Calibra had a big fanbase, with 250,000 sold around the world before it was axed in 1997. And once again, the top-spec version of the four-seater is likely to come with four-wheel drive.

Reilly also revealed that Vauxhall plans to use the Ampera name as a sub-brand to expand the number of range-extended battery vehicles. “We’re looking at other bodystyles, including a smaller Astra-sized car and a larger one,” he said.

Using the same electric powertrain with the 1.4-litre generator, the new Ampera family models would be based on the second generation of the Chevrolet Volt in the US. The MkI launches in the UK in 2012, and sales of the MkII could start as soon as 12 months later. Plus, the replacement Ampera would be far cheaper, according to Reilly. “We will see a 50 per cent reduction in costs for the electrification part of the car, including batteries,” he said.

This would bring the Ampera down to around £5,000-£7,000 more than a petrol or diesel equivalent, at about £27,000. The original European model is set to be priced at £36,500.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/260161/vauxhall_calibra_in_shock_return.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=a957be030f3142f4eeefef911cf02863#ixzz16IeiSs8Y

Buick Regal coupe! Buick Regal coupe!

That thing looks great in the photo, love the rims. In the absence of Pontiac, this is a way to incrementally make up for the lack of a midsize, FWD/AWD coupe. Incremental, to be certain, but a step forward.

If Buick offers it, they will come. Excellent alternative to Accord and Altima.

Definitely would make a nice Buick. Would give GM a competitor for the Accord and Altima coupes...a convertible version to compete w/ the 200 would be nice also.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Apparently, the designs for a convertible already exist.

I thought the convert was Astra based? Was there an article Buick was Getting the Astra GTC and Conv? I don't much care for the Gran Turismo concept. It was built on a G6 coupe. I prefer the Riv and Avant designs.

Hope those gasoline DI engines appear soon. That's what's driving me away from Opel as I am looking into trading cars...

I thought the convert was Astra based? Was there an article Buick was Getting the Astra GTC and Conv? I don't much care for the Gran Turismo concept. It was built on a G6 coupe. I prefer the Riv and Avant designs.

There is an epsilon II convertible design for Opel and presumably Buick floating around out there on someone's hard drive.

There is an epsilon II convertible design for Opel and presumably Buick floating around out there on someone's hard drive.

Came across this this morning.

Holden Design is penning one of three new aspirational models to debut under Opel badges in Europe

“As you know, our design operation is global. And I think there is one car (by Holden) that is going to be an Opel in the future.”

Asked if that car was the cabrio/coupe, Mr Weber shrugged and smiled.

Mr Weber said the cabriolet would replace the Astra convertible, saying: “There is one spot in the portfolio.”

He indicated that simple chop-top convertibles of existing models had seen their day, even though rival Volkswagen has just announced the return of the Golf Cabriolet.

“When you take a base compact car and turn it into a convertible it has all sorts of limitations to it,” he said. “I think you could do it in the past, but not now – they sort of get stuck in between.

“I think it takes a car that is extremely well styled and presents as a whole package – that is something that you want.”

Although Mr Weber refused to compare the new Opel convertible with others such as the VW Eos or Peugeot 308 CC, he said the Opel cabrio would “go beyond what you currently know, Astra Convertible”, indicating it would be bigger than Astra with a unique body style.

“If you do four seats, and you are spending that money for open air, I think the car should be positioned between Astra and mid-sized (models),” he said. “It is not just an Astra or Insignia convertible.”

However, he indicated that the new convertible would retain the folding metal roof of the current Astra Convertible, adding that it would go into production in late 2012.

So there will be three Aspirational Vehicles. A 2+2 Coupe Cabriolet designed by Holden? Sized Between Astra and Insignia? The 107 wb EPII would produce a Coupe Cabriolet at about 185-6 inches.

About the size of this.

Edited by Ghost Dog