Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review: 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Crew Cab 4WD

It's a beast, no doubt. Wheelbase on my truck is 153". Understandably, the steering is quite a bit sharper (in angle) than shorter vehicles. I have no maneuverability issues- but I've been on a steadily increasing wheelbase diet since day 1. :smilewide:

It's a bit rough over choppy pavement. You really bounce along over our poor PA roads. It's very difficult to park. Turning radius is huge. Getting it in and out of my driveway is a pain. I've yet to actually get it into a parking space straight... I just get it "good enough" and give up.

I doubt I'll get to haul anything with it. I would have to assume that the bed will handle a load as good as any other.

LOL. It is maneuverable once you get used to it. I have often parallel parked my company's 4x4 2500. Is it a docile beast on the highway?

Ok, so I took some pics of the truck in the exact position where it starts to slip. I hit the brake and set the parking brake right where I lost traction. The right rear tire is just where it was the other night when it tried to dig a hole to China.

gallery_51_58_723844.png

gallery_51_58_1023849.png

Here I am about 20 feet from the front of the truck and my shins are about level with the roof..... that's how steep the driveway is.

gallery_51_58_362770.png

OK- you have the optimal conditions for why what happened: extreme slope, uneven pavement, dirt at the bottom and a turn to boot.

You need to 'roll' thru that with just enough moxie to get the RR wheels onto the macadam, then you'll be fine.

That... or back in. ;)

I'm still at a loss as to how you did that, whether it has G20 (?) or G80 locking diff. It appears there is a little drop-off between macadam and gravel though, is it possible you stopped right at that moment, chocking the front wheels? This is a miniature disaster.

I bet that driveway is fun in the winter when it's covered in ice.

G80. Not always easy posting from phone.

Oh yeah, the driveway is a real hoot. I buy lots of salt and have a snow blower.

Still, I managed 4 winters with a RWD CTS

not necessarily directed at olds, does the rear suspension have that much drop with a load, or is the large wheel gap just a visual cue?

not necessarily directed at olds, does the rear suspension have that much drop with a load, or is the large wheel gap just a visual cue?

That gap is due to the position the truck is in - it isn't normally quite so dramatic. But it is large to allow for lots of suspension travel.

It's not a hole, its a good start on a fishing pond. Every house in Texas with a Diesel in the driveway has one. It's all the rage.

Uploaded the window sticker.

gallery_51_58_299036.png

Could you please get a few more photos of the interior and exterior of the truck Oldsmoboi? I just love looking at this beast! Anyways just look at the window sticker... It is certainly pricey but you get a TON of truck!

It is certainly pricey but you get a TON of truck!

You mean slightly more than 3 and a half tons of truck. This thing really has a curb weight of 7393 pounds?!? Jeez.

You mean slightly more than 3 and a half tons of truck. This thing really has a curb weight of 7393 pounds?!? Jeez.

Daymn...that is one obese truck....20 years ago, a 4x4 crew cab was what, under 5000lbs? Insane...no MPG rating..wierd...what's the MPG--10 city, 12 highway?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

That cannot be right. My truck on a scale was right around 6500 (subtracting for me, and there were some tools in the back seat).

To answer Cubitar's question as close as I have handy: 1986 GMC 3/4-ton CrewCab 8' bed : 4834.

Edited by balthazar

That cannot be right. My truck on a scale was right around 6500 (subtracting for me, and there were some tools in the back seat).

Isn't yours the previous generation (GMT-800)? With each successive redesign, it seems weight is added to most vehicles.

Yes, it is (2004), and tho mine doesn't have some of the weighty options this GMC does (NAV, sunroof, stepbars, heated seats, etc), mine has the same powertrain and it's an HD to boot.

Still, knowing my truck, it's quite hard for me to imagine how it could've gained 800 lbs.

And agreed; the only car that comes to mind that doesn't add weight at each new generation is the Corvette.

Looking over the windo stckr again; the things this truck has over mine :

> fully boxed frame (would still like to kno the rail height x width)

> skid plate package

> RR park assist

> StabiliTrack w/ trailer sway control

> fog lamps

> heated mirrors

> remote start

> tailgate assist

> dual zone A/C

> 12-way power seats/ lumbar/ heated & cooled

> 6-disc changer & USB port

> DIC

> auto-dimming mirror

> power pedals

> steering wheel radio controls

> universal home remote

> power sunroof

> 20" wheels

> RR vision camera

> heated steering wheel

> step bars

Yeah, I can believe all that weighs 800 lbs or so. :mellow:

SWEET Ride, I love the Denali Trucks, I just wish that GM still had the Rear Steering on these trucks. Until you drive one, you have no idea how much easier it makes parking, trailer towing, etc when you have a crewcab 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Nice package. :gmc::D