Report: an Opel Calibra this way comes, inspired by the GTC Concept

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: an Opel Calibra this way comes, inspired by the GTC Concept

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Nov 29th 2010 at 9:01AM

opelcalibrainsp.jpg

Grumblings about a new Opel Calibra have been around for years, and now there's some substance behind the rumors. In 2007 Opel spoke of developing a Calibra based on the Opel GTC Concept shown at the 2007 Geneva Auto Show. Now GM Europe chief Nick Reilly has waved his wand and said, "I believe we should have one, so we will have one."

Although Reilly has said, "Make it so," issue remain. When the matter was brought up earlier this year, the question was whether to think of this as a Calibra or an Insignia Coupe, since the GTC Concept was quite a bit longer than the two-door Opel of yore. And if the 30,000-units-per-year is still the number to justify a Calibra, would it make sense for the brand to make a much smaller coupe that compromises the Insignia's roominess?

Engines are already being mentioned as Vauxhall's smaller displacement, turbo powerplants. The top trim could get some variant of the 320-horsepower motor in the Insignia GXR, and have all-wheel drive.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/29/report-an-opel-calibra-this-way-comes-inspired-by-the-gtc-conc/

Is GM still trying to use up G6 GT coupe bodies?

To me this is what you get when somebody wanting a Audi and Acura crashes a G6 coupe with a ugly body kit on the front into the JC Whitney catalog.

I'd like to see something a bit more production ready.... but with some flair to the body, instead of bling.

I think it looks sexeh. Bring it here as a Buick, and do as little to it as was done to the sedan to make it a Regal. Only... it needs a V6 engine option and an AWD option.

Edited by ocnblu