Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Review: Gran Turismo 5

Filed under: Toys/Games

Why The Most Anticipated Driving Game Ever Is Not A Must Buy

Gran Turismo 5: Review - Click above for high-res image gallery

1,000 cars. Hundreds of events. 71 track variations. Six years in development. There are lots of numbers to throw around and lots of numbers behind the latest release of Gran Turismo, the version that fans of the franchise have been aching for while suffering through delay after delay. Gran Turismo 5 is finally here, and in plenty of ways it's the best installment that the storied franchise has seen to date.

However, it's also the least polished release, least complete feeling and seemingly the buggiest - yes, even worse than the infamously rushed Gran Turismo 2. It's a frustrating mix of amazing content and glaring shortcomings that will leave even the most devout GT fanboys and girls with mixed feelings. But, of course, the full story is rather more complicated than that. So let's get to it...

Continue reading...

Continue reading Review: Gran Turismo 5

Review: Gran Turismo 5 originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=H54ZddI7uAk:-2ev4jlgYG0:wF9xT autoblog?i=H54ZddI7uAk:-2ev4jlgYG0:V_sGL
H54ZddI7uAk

View the full article

I thought this would be the game which would finally allow me to justify getting a PS3, but after reading the mixed reviews I think I'll pass for a while.

Very disappointing, from the PS2 looking standard cars to the lack of customizeablity both in appearance (which has always bugged me about GT) to what seems like less tuning ability and now you can't save your settings for your cars? You could do that in GT4.

What the hell were they doing for the last 6 years?

So I was online at Best Buy looking at a 46" LED-LCD Sony Bravia. I added it in my shopping cart and for 1 penny less I could get the same TV with a PS3, a blu-ray movie, and Gran Turismo 5. They are really promoting this game... giving it away I guess.

I bought it when it was on special its first day out but the reviews haven't convinced me to put down my other toys and try it out (also picked up an iPad and HTC Desire in the last few weeks). Maybe when a few months and patches pass I'll install it and get a better first impression (aside from the horrid install time) than many seem to be getting.

It's not that bad. I've been playing it virtually nonstop since I've purchased it. It's a great driving sim with great graphics... there's just many asterisks you have to work around. The standard cars are less than just standard and there's glitches here and there that they should have been able to avoid in the time they've had to develop it. Like I said, it seems as if they spent more time developing gimmicks than what they should have. Even so, I'd rate it as a more worthwhile investment than Forza. I'm just hoping Sony offers similar car-packs and patches to fix some of the glitches.

Yeah, I don't understand how this game is so mediocre either. We waited six years for this?

I think they finished modeling the new content, ported over the ps2 models, then spent the other 5 years and 11 months playing paper football at the office.

I don't get how a game that can look as bad as that Celica can look almost photo realistic at the same time.

Kyoto-Gion_1.jpg

Kyoto-Gion.jpg

They should all be up to that level. It's f***ing amazing to look at.

I feel bad (not really) for the people who waited nearly six years for this game. Just another example of how Sony likes to take a dump on its fan/userbase's.

Now Duke Nukem Forever... THAT is a game worth waiting for!

Totally, no way it'll be a middle of the road fps that any competent studio could have $h! out in a year.

Yeah just you wait. DNF is going to be the most life-affirming experience that humanity will ever encounter. In fact, according to Corinthians 13:37, Christ said he'd revisit us and bring us to back to God, and it would be Duke Nukem Forever that will whisk us up to the Heavens.

What the heck are you all talking about? Most websites gave this great reviews in the 9's and 8's. IGN even said it was the best driving sim on consoles. The game is great and I've been playing it a ton since it came out. Not only is this the best driving game this year, it has also relit my passion for cars.

I feel sorry for people who let reviews deter them from getting such a wonderful game. You do realize the only reason they are nitpicking this game to death is because of the massive hype? If it went by any OTHER name it would have been praised to high heaven because it has more content, features, and better physics/graphics than any other racing game out there. If the small gripes with this game bother you then what driving games do you play?

Plus after getting the Driving Force GT(too cheap to spend $300 on a G27) I will never go back to using a dualshock.

Edited by -Camaro-

It's only got those high scores because of the 200 premium cars, tracks that actually look good, and the physics. The formula is the same, 800 of the cars look like they did in GT4, the crash damage is pathetic, car "customization" is limited at best, and the online mode is would have been considered up to date in 2004. Sure it's still good, but is it worth buying both a PS3 and the game to play it? No way. I'll get it eventually, but it's not the "must have" I was expecting/hoping for.

I don't need a game to be passionate about cars, I'm plenty passionate with the real ones I have. ;)

It's only got those high scores because of the 200 premium cars, tracks that actually look good, and the physics. The formula is the same, 800 of the cars look like they did in GT4, the crash damage is pathetic, car "customization" is limited at best, and the online mode is would have been considered up to date in 2004. Sure it's still good, but is it worth buying a PS3 and the game to play it? No way. I'll get it eventually, but it's not the "must have" I was expecting/hoping for.

I don't need a game to be passionate about cars, I'm plenty passionate with the real ones I have. ;)

Make excuses and miss out then, but until you've played the game I won't give your opinion much merit as all you've done in your post is make the focal point the flaws, you have to look at both sides of the coin. As someone who has actually played it, I can say the pros in this game greatly outweigh the cons. This is the best Gran Turismo yet.

* Those 800 cars have been upscaled and have more polygons than the PS2 versions. They have as many polygons as a car in Forza 3 or NFS Shift. Some of them do look bad up close because of pixelation in some areas, but a lot of them(like my '70 Charger) look just as good as any other game out there on PS3/360. It's just because the Premiums are so far ahead of any game out there that it makes everything else look bad in comparison.

* The damage model is fine, you just have to get to higher ranks before it actually effects you. I'm at level 15 and the damage is more severe than at earlier levels where it was just minor scratches at best and it will get even more severe by the time I get to level 40. Although I actually know how to drive well so damage from crashing rarely happens to me.

Edited by -Camaro-

Just to note, as someone who does actually own the game and did buy a PS3 and a racing wheel solely in anticipation for this game... The 800 standard cars, while essentially ported over from GT4, only look bad if you go into photo mode during a replay and while in 'GT Auto'. Otherwise, beyond the lack of an interior perspective, its not that noticeable in regular game play and isn't a hindrance in how the vehicles simulate the driving experience. I could also care less about damage rendering as I don't spend my time wrecking. Same with customization. If I wanted to rice out my CRX and then proceed to run it into another racer, I'd play Need for Speed. Otherwise, the endless mechanical upgrades are just dandy in my book. To me, the biggest issues are the glitches, such as the blocky shading and the poorly reproduced lighting effects that seem to disappear on inclines. These are things that should have been worked out long before the first time it was due to be released.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook