Video: See The Chevrolet Volt Built In Under Two Minutes

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Video: See The Chevrolet Volt Built In Under Two Minutes

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

December 1st, 2010

2011 Chevrolet VoltEnlarge PhotoAhh, the beauty of time-lapse video. The technology allows us to see the construction of the new 2011 Chevrolet Volt, from beginning to end, in less than two minutes, from when the first few pieces of metal and welded together to the point where the cars are driven off the production line.

The action takes place at GM’s Hamtramck assembly plant in Detroit where production of the Volt is now in full swing. First deliveries of the car aren’t scheduled to start until later this month but you can get our full driving impressions in John Voelcker's extensive report by clicking here.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1052090_video-see-the-chevrolet-volt-built-in-under-two-minutes

Cool.

I am curious exactly how fast the conveyor is moving. Anybody have a good YouTube video link showing the actual speed of it?

I'm not sure about that line, but I recently saw a "Making of the (2010) Camaro" show on TV, and that line appears to move about a slow walk... 1 or 2 mph. But that's from my guessimate, so its not gospel.

Edited by SAmadei

Lines are 1-2 MPH would be my est from what I have seen at the plants I have been in.

The Buick and DTS show how flexible GM lines have become. We will see more odd sharings of lines in the future from what I had read.

This Video has given me a good tag line for GM and the Volt.

The Chevy Volt Batteries Included!

Edited by hyperv6

The Buick and DTS show how flexible GM lines have become. We will see more odd sharings of lines in the future from what I had read.

I'm sure they are very flexible, as they are using massive computing and seem with use JIT warehousing... but what I hate is that GM likes to claim that they can't move lines. The DTS and Lucerne will die (probably sooner now) because of the Volt, as GM refuses to move some of the production to another underused plant... or they refused to build non-Camaro Zetas here because "we can't move production"... when from a technical perspective, GM should be able to do it almost completely with moving some computer software and warehousing traffic control and a small amount of personal training.

Granted, I'm not going to suggest its so easy that GM could make any car at an plant at a moment's notice... but it should be easier than the month of downtime GM needed to do 30 years ago.