2012 Buick Verano details and pricing leaked in dealer letter?

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 Buick Verano details and pricing leaked in dealer letter?

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Dec 2nd 2010 at 7:01PM

x12buvr0011280.jpg

Following the launch of the Regal, Buick will be introducing its next all-new model sometime in 2011. Set to launch as a 2012 model, the Verano compact will slot in beneath the Regal sedan, though we've been told on several occasions that it will not share a platform with General Motors' other new small car, the Chevrolet Cruze.

According to the infomongers at GM Inside News, the automaker recent sent a letter to its Buick dealers inviting them to participate in an order study in an attempt to gain knowledge about what pricing and trim levels would be most attractive to potential buyers. The details, available after the jump, reveal that the Verano will be powered by a 2.4-liter inline-four (same as the Regal) that produces 180 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and will be initially offered in four trim levels.

If the letter is to be believed, the base Verano 1SB (the alphanumeric likely being an internal designation) is estimated to start at $20,900. From there, the 1SD model adds Bluetooth, automatic climate control and remote start, and will be priced from around $22,100. 1SG models add a power driver's seat, heated mirrors and rear park assist and should command roughly $23,300. Top-trim 1SL Veranos will have heated leather seats, premium audio, a heated steering wheel and 18-inch wheels. Expect the top-rung 1SL to retail for around $25,600, with pricing reaching as high as $26,200.

We don't expect GM to reveal official Verano specifications and pricing until closer to its launch date, with the car being officially debuting sometime in the early 2011 auto show season. Top tip, Ed!

[source: GM Inside News]

Show full PR text

Subject: All-New 2012 Buick Compact Car - Order Study

Greetings Buick Dealers,

We would like to invite you to participate in an online order study of a potential new addition to the Buick portfolio.

Please note that this potential new entry would be a compact car available in four models. As a result, it is important for us to gauge how you would order this vehicle and in what quantities. In addition, each model builds off of the previous model. Proposed models are as follows:

1.) 1SB Cloth Base

• 2.4L 4-cylinder engine

• 180 hp @ 6700 rpm

• 172 lb-ft of torque @ 4900 rpm

• 6-Speed automatic transmission

Estimated MSRP range: $20,900 - $21,500 *

2.) 1SD Cloth Mid-Level

Adds to 1SB

• Remote Start

• Auto Dual HVAC

• Connected Color Radio with Bluetooth Connectivity

Estimated MSRP range: $22,100 - $22,700*

3.) 1SG Cloth Mid-Level

Adds to 1SB & 1SD

• 6-way power driver

• Heated ORVMs

• Rear Park Assist

• EC ISRVM

Estimated MSRP range: $23,300 - 23,900*

4.) 1SL Leather Up-Level

Adds to 1SB, 1SD & 1SG

• Heated Seats/Steering Wheel

• Passive Entry & Push Button Start

• Bose Premium Audio

• 18" Wheels

Estimated MSRP range: $25,600 – 26,200*

*Note: Total vehicle pricing will NOT be shown in the order study

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/2012-buick-verano-details-and-pricing-leaked-in-dealer-letter/

Well, they seem to have the powertrain sorted, now, about that goofy name...:scratchchin:

Though it sounds like it should be a Nissan CUV name, it's probably a better choice than past smaller Buick names...Century, Skylark, Skyhawk all sound old..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well put in perspective of time their names were fresh or had good image of previous cars so that's a non issue. The issue was with the name Verano, While I haven't researched it it sounds like a made up name again and the name game was OLD GM and needs to be left with Motors Liquidation Corp :2cents:

Okay, I like what I see a lot, but if this is premium, I would have hoped for leather to be offered on other packages other than the absolute TOP trim.

However, again, I like what I see and I'm thrilled the 2.4 is in it.

Oh, and what's a "connected color radio"?

I know I am wrong on this or at least I hope. But I get flash backs to Skyhawks and Cimarrons.

I hope it will be a better car than these but will it be better than what is on the market in it's class?

I already see a lot of non GM people who are getting visions like me. I just hope GM really pulls this one out of the bag and does it right.

As for the name none of the old would suit this car and the new one is not offensive in anyway.

Edited by hyperv6

Set to launch as a 2012 model, the Verano compact will slot in beneath the Regal sedan, though we've been told on several occasions that it will not share a platform with General Motors' other new small car, the Chevrolet Cruze.

Which platform is this on if it isn't the same platform as the Cruze?

It has the power that should be available on the Cruze LTZ and 2LT... but if it looks like the chinese one, it will be a porker, worse looking than the Cruze. Looks like you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I agree 100 percent. A Cruze with a 2.4L would make it a car that could even appeal to me. I will not consider one with the piss poor under powered engines they have in it currently. Although that makes the Verano interest me because of the 2.4L if it looks decent and isn't a porker it could be an appealing option even for someone like me.

I agree 100 percent. A Cruze with a 2.4L would make it a car that could even appeal to me. I will not consider one with the piss poor under powered engines they have in it currently. Although that makes the Verano interest me because of the 2.4L if it looks decent and isn't a porker it could be an appealing option even for someone like me.

Have you actually driven a Cruze with either engine? Don't judge it till you drive it.

I think a nice 160HP 2.0L DI I4 would be a perfect base engine for this car and opt Cruze engine. Then offer the 255HP 2.0T as a Verano GS. That would allow the 2.4L to be the Regals base engine with an upgrade to the 260HP DI 3.0L V6. Then do a proper Regal GS with the upcoming 3.0T with 325+HP and AWD! That would leave the 220HP 2.0T to be a great base LeCrosse engine with the 280HP 3.6L V6 opt!

It sounds like this is consistent with Buick's new initiative with "stair-step" packages rather than individual trim models. It does not appear that the Verano will have different badges for the trims. It's not exactly a huge difference.