NISSAN SAYS 2012 GT-R CAN HIT 60MPH IN UNDER 3 SECONDS

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

NISSAN SAYS 2012 GT-R CAN HIT 60MPH IN UNDER 3 SECONDS

OFFICAL PERFORMANCE FIGURESOFFICIAL IMAGESLIVE IMAGES

By Drew Johnson

The refreshed 2012 Nissan GT-R made its official North American debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show a few months ago, but we now have the first performance figures for the Japanese supercar.

Exterior upgrades for 2012

Starting with the basics, the front and rear exterior fascias will obviously be changed. The front fascia will now include integrated LEDs in the bumper, and design changes will not add 10 percent additional downforce from the front of the car. The next noticeable change to the exterior of the vehicle comes in the form of new 10-spoke Rays forged aluminum wheels – as captured in our spy photos.

Interesting, Nissan even went back and modified the paint across the board – claiming higher quality. In particular, the white colors are said to be a much better match now when comparing the plastic and metal panels which had unacceptable levels of variation before.

Nissan will also add two new metallic colors, red and black.

Interior upgrades for 2012

Changes for the interior are essentially in-line with what most have come to expect from a refresh, with just a few changes here and there. For starters, the lighting for the instrument cluster has switched from red to blue, while the rest of the dash enjoys a switch to real carbon fiber for the HVAC area. The HVAC controls will also receive a new style of knobs.

There are several other very subtle changes, including the use of a softer material for the seat belts, variations to the tensioner, a modified steering wheel logo and new metal trim texture for the A/C vents and paddle shifters.

Showing just how dedicated Nissan is to the GT-R, they even went as far as to work on the doors – claiming even further reduced NVH as well as improved fit and finish.

A change that will likely be much appreciated by all, all standard GT-R models will enjoy upgraded seating options. The Pure and Black Editions will receive total redesigns, aimed at bolstering comfortable and stability while reducing incoming vibration during extreme driving or while traversing rough roads.

Meat and potatoes – the REAL changes

Although modified cosmetics and ergonomics are always welcomed during a vehicle refresh, Nissan decided to go deep under the skin of the GT-R to provide some unusually substantial upgrades.

Nissan decided that the handling of the GT-R wasn’t quite where it needed to be, and as a result, they will add several chassis improvements. First up were the forward suspension strut towers, which have been strengthened with carbon and aluminum materials for improved joint stiffness.

In addition to strengthening the front suspension, Nissan paid attention to the dashboard support area, which received reinforcement as well.

Despite these revisions, the entire vehicle will reportedly come in 10 kg lighter than the current model.

But wait, there’s more (suspension upgrades)

In addition to a beefed-up chassis, Nissan also revised the entire suspension, complete with new spring rates and dampers, revised geometry and a new leverage ratio. These changes will help to improve the efficiency of both the shock absorbers and the stabilizer, giving the GT-R an overall more confident driving feel. To achieve this, Nissan has adopted a piston-free aluminum design which it claims reduces friction, and increases oil flow and accuracy.

Powertrain tweaks

The GT-R’s familiar 3.8L twin-turbocharged V6 remains for 2012, but it receives a significant power upgrade. Nissan engineers managed to wring out 530 horsepower from the mill — up from 485 — and 448 lb-ft of torque.

The result of that extra power is an even more serious performance machine. Nissan has officially listed the GT-R’s 0-62 time at 3.0 seconds, with that Japanese automaker adding a sub-3 second time is possible with the correct weather condition.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-gt-r-2012.html

:lol: you cannot judge aerodynamics by appearance.

In other words- hundreds & hundreds of very aerodynamics designs have been created that have varied WIDELY from one another. To say this 'needs' to look the way it does is invalid.

mazda miata (.38),

ferrari F50 (.37),

'90s Cadillac Fleetwood (.36),

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid (.36)

SSC Ultimate Aero (.35)

Dodge Charger (.33)

Tucker 48 (.27)

nissan GT-R (.27)

Do tell, how much downforce does that Fleetwood produces, and while you're at it be sure to post its lap time around the Nürburgring.

The shape of the body, the angles and creases, even the door mirrors are designed to channel air to the rear spoiler, to aide with high speed stability. Could it have looked different? Probably, but it is designed with purpose.

You may also recall it's faster than a 911 Turbo.

Speaking of not pretty, most of what you listed aren't exactly lookers themselves. Besides the 458, most Ferraris aren't pretty. The Enzo was and ugly mofo, the F430 had a goofy face, 911s look like squashed Beetles, etc.

Squashed Beetles.... :lol: Riiiiight. I can't take your post seriously after that.

Squashed Beetles.... :lol: Riiiiight. I can't take your post seriously after that.

I'm crushed let me tell you. Absolutely. Destroyed.

I'll still take a ZR1 over this, tnx. Are they making the trans to not break yet?

That was an issue with a few of the early models.

I'd go with the Viper myself. It has more balls than all of the Corvette models combined. You can have it two versions: hardcore or insane. Oh and the insane version is faster than both the GTR and the ZR1. ;)

I respect and like all three vehicles. They're all incredible machines, whether your like the way they look or not.

saw a silver one yesterday in the wild, gotta admit, it did look rather hot. what stationary its not purty, it did look good going down the road.

i think its high time the vette got AWD on the option sheet. A performance AWD system. Lots of buyers these days believe that is an absolute requirement now for performance vehicles. You have EVO and carerra4's and GTR's and Quattros......GM needs to design AWD functionality into the next Vette or they will regret it.

CTS-V, .31 cd, 7.29 ring time.

GT-R, .27 cd, 7.29 ring time.

Jest sayin'... I think some cars are given far too much credit AFA their press releases go.

CTS-V is 7:59, 30 seconds slower. And the Spec-V GT-R is 5 seconds quicker around the nurburgring, and the 2012 GT-R should be quicker than spec-V, So I'd expect low 7:20s for this car.

An S-class is .26 drag coefficient so it beats all these sports cars, but I'm sure it has no downforce. The GT-R has a lot of downforce, and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is crazy fast.

:lol: you cannot judge aerodynamics by appearance.

In other words- hundreds & hundreds of very aerodynamics designs have been created that have varied WIDELY from one another. To say this 'needs' to look the way it does is invalid.

mazda miata (.38),

ferrari F50 (.37),

'90s Cadillac Fleetwood (.36),

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid (.36)

SSC Ultimate Aero (.35)

Dodge Charger (.33)

1988 Buick Regal Coupe (.305)

2011 Buick Regal Sedan (.27)

EV-1 (.21)

Chevy Volt (.28)

Chevy Cruze Eco (.29)

Tucker 48 (.27)

nissan GT-R (.27)

The company you keep....

Unlike the old system, which was based primarily on mechanical feedback, the new one uses electronic sensors and hydraulically actuated clutches, similar to those of the Haldex 4 system used by Saab and VW/Audi. What we do know is that yaw-rate feedback control, the ability to safely manage slip angle, has been built into the GT-R's AWD system and that front to rear torque split is as much as 2:98 at launch, to a maximum of 50:50.

To ensure the dimensional accuracy needed for all this complex machinery, the body and suspension are individually built on a jig, as with a race car. There are other race-car touches also: control-arm suspension in front, a multilink layout in the rear, and Bilstein dampers all around. Brakes are monoblock Brembo calipers (six-piston front, four-piston rear) that grab 15-inch two-piece vented and cross-drilled rotors.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0712_2008_nissan_gt_r/engine_awd_system.html#ixzz17CR4Ukik