Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Camry hybrid priced

toyoguy

Pretty tempting price. At $25,900, it's square in the middle of the SE V6 and XLE V6 base prices. However, if faced with the gruesome spectre of buying a Camry, I'd say the XLE i4, @ $24,425 with all the luxury features, is a better deal. Assuming the Camry Hybird falls short 25% like the Prius does (based on real-world reports of 42 MPG vs. 60 MPG EPA rating), the Camry Hybird will deliver just over 29 MPG in real-world driving. i4 Automatic models like the 4-cyl. XLE will deliver an EPA average of 29 MPG (rounded up from 28.5). Assuming a 15% decrease, you could expect to see real-world mileage of 25 MPG (rounded up from 24.72). I'd say that the $1,575 dollars you'd save buying an XLE instead of a Hybrid will go a long way towards buying extra gas to make up for that 4 MPG discrepancy. And, let's face it, if you can make do without all the goodies that the XLE and Hybrid models pack, you'd have a lot more money than that to put into the gas fund.

Again, I will also state that I do not believe that the Camry Hybrid will attract new buyers. Rather, it will attract loyal Camry owners who are caught up in the Hybrid hype. Just my :twocents:

Instead of the Hybrid, I'd rather order a Camry SE with the 2.4L and 5-speed manual.

You get maybe a bit less fuel economy, but ultimately still pretty good mpg AND a more fun-to-drive midsize sedan. (but then again, I LIKE manual trannys....) And the SE has better suspension tuning and larger wheels/tires.

Instead of the Hybrid, I'd rather order a Camry SE with the 2.4L and 5-speed manual.

You get maybe a bit less fuel economy, but ultimately still pretty good mpg AND a more fun-to-drive midsize sedan.  (but then again, I LIKE manual trannys....)  And the SE has better suspension tuning and larger wheels/tires.

Diddo :):idhitit:

I think it will bring it new customers. People that want a normal-looking midsize car (no Prius) that is not too expensive and actually gets good mileage (no Accord Hybrid). Yes, it will probably attract more Camry owners than new buyers but in this market every new buyer counts.

I doubt we will ever see a base priced version on dealers lots. Most hybrids I see have options and will no doubt be marked up by dealers like the Prius was so 27-30K seems more likely for actual on the lot stickers and transaction. I would rather buy a 4 cylinder Malibu LT and keep the 10 grand to put into a nice classic muscle car with some style.

supposedly R&T ran it

0-60 in 7.3sec

that's faster than the previous V6.

yeah, i think the camry hybrid will sell huge and it probably deserves to. I wish it were about 2-3 grand cheaper. I sure hope GM can bring out a hybrid sedan just as efficient and with as good of performance. Folks, if you think the hybrid publicity is overwhelming now, the camry hybrid will bust the door open with more toyota good / gm bad press.

i must say, if it were a bit cheaper, i would consider owning one if the mpg is a consistent 30 in the city.

If the Camry hybrid is marked up a few grand at the dealer, I don't see too much of an advantage over the Accord hybrid.

Assuming a 15% real world drop in mileage on the new Accord hybrid, it will see about 25.5 mpg combined. Looking over at www.fueleconomy.gov, 14 owners reported an average of 28.5 combined for the 2005 model (which the only difference is about 80 lbs lighter).

Based off Petra's calculations, the Camry will see about 30 mpg combined, based on a 25% drop.

So you can either get a 187hp 4cyl hybrid with 30mpg, or a 253hp v6 hybrid with 26-28mpg. Hmmm :scratchchin:

Quotes from M/T, 4/06:

"Our nonscientific observations of the Accord and Camry's fuel consumption found the Toyota delivering an honest 40 mpg at a steady 70 mph and a squeak abouve 30 mpg in L.A. urban driving. The Honda, limited by its much smaller motor/generator and a less efficient five-speed automatic, indicated 34.5 mpg at 70 mph and mid-20s around town."

Quotes from M/T, 4/06:

"Our nonscientific observations of the Accord and Camry's fuel consumption found the Toyota delivering an honest 40 mpg at a steady 70 mph and a squeak abouve 30 mpg in L.A. urban driving. The Honda, limited by its much smaller motor/generator and a less efficient five-speed automatic, indicated 34.5 mpg at 70 mph and mid-20s around town."

Maybe the Camry doesn't have as inefficient of a drivetrain as the Prius, or at least it isn't overstated. M/T must have some patient drivers to get those kind of numbers, usually they have lead feet and don't even break into the 30's :)

34.5 hwy and 25 city makes about 30mpg combined (29.75) for the Accord, and the Camry is at about 35 combined, which is very good for both cars.

supposedly R&T ran it

0-60 in 7.3sec

that's faster than the previous V6.

That is likely owing to the massive amount of torque available at idle from the electric motors, one of a few things I like about Hybrids. If only somebody would make a RWD one...

RWD is not an efficient trasnfer path, so i doubt you'll see too many RWD/hybrids other than the new GS.

35 mpg combined in a large midsize like the Camry with some power to spare = GM death knell, unfortunately. The appeal of a 35 mpg daily driver with room and comfort is far too great. Everyone will want one. I guess the floodgates will open.

but, that also gives gunner Dick and the Saudis and the exxons of the world the reason to raise gas another dollar also to compensate. The less we use, the more the price will go up. If we use more, the price will go up too.

Edited by regfootball

The Accord Hybrid (as well as the Toyota Highlander and Lexus hybrids) is more performance than economically oriented. Plus the Escape, Camry, and Civic Hybrids are the cheapest hybrids with "normal" counterparts, so they're of more relevance to the mainstream buyer.

7.3 0-60 and 37 mpg combined.

numbers like that in a midsized car is the formula for a mass buying revolution. this could generate a future of mostly hybrid cars for the next 10-15 years....

and GM is still trying to cut costs with pushrods. it's gonna take 10 years for very many competitive hybrids to penetrate GM's lineup.

Edited by regfootball

numbers like that in a midsized car is the formula for a mass buying revolution.  this could generate a future of mostly hybrid cars for the next 10-15 years....

and GM is still trying to cut costs with pushrods.  it's gonna take 10 years for very many competitive hybrids to penetrate GM's lineup.

Agreed... THIS should have been M/T's Car of the Year, and it deserves far more attention than the Prius gets.

If GM puts the VUE's BAS into the Aura, they better make it cheap.

numbers like that in a midsized car is the formula for a mass buying revolution.  this could generate a future of mostly hybrid cars for the next 10-15 years....

and GM is still trying to cut costs with pushrods.  it's gonna take 10 years for very many competitive hybrids to penetrate GM's lineup.

You're kidding right... you can buy a VW Jetta TDI for 18k and get 44 MPG with much of the same space... really... revolution??? I see nothing new here... a polised turd doesn't change what it is.

You're kidding right... you can buy a VW Jetta TDI for 18k and get 44 MPG with much of the same space... really... revolution???  I see nothing new here... a polised turd doesn't change what it is.

The Jetta TDI has 100 horsepower.

An auto Jetta TDI costs $23310 w/o power seat. There is no tax incentive.

To my knowledge they're not even sold in NY or CA

And I don't know how you're supposed to get 44mpg out of a vehicle rated at 35/42mpg

Jetta (POS) is slower than a 4cyl Camry.

That still doesn't take into account noise levels.

VW & Driver says Diesels are great, nonetheless my friend's TDI is not as quiet as a conventional gasoline motor.

And since when is an EPA rated compact the same size as a midsize? Even a blind man can see the difference

The best part is how VW and MB PAY auto mags to rave about diesels to no avail, yet Toyota hybrids basically sell themselves. You can pay off mags, but you can't buy loyalty and trust, something Toyota has earned over the yrs.

Edited by toyoguy

You're kidding right... you can buy a VW Jetta TDI for 18k and get 44 MPG with much of the same space... really... revolution???  I see nothing new here... a polised turd doesn't change what it is.

wrong on two counts here, bud....first off, if you can buy a new VW TDI for 18 grand, i will pay Carmen Electra to fly on a jet to your house and sex you

secondly the previous Jetta TDI had no room and the new style Jetta TDI is not here yet. the new camry has an assload more room than the space challenged Jettas.

the TDI's are fine products....however, VW knows it and prices them accordingly. If you could even find a 2 year old TDI for 18 grand and under 40k miles you can be president.

pushrod plus hybrid & AFM... thats your winning stratagy... cheaper engines, more powerful, more fuel efficent engines, hybrid stored energy to further consume less fuel, and AFM to save the fuel that doesnt need to be burnt...