Survey: America Loves GM Again

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Survey: America Loves GM Again

Say what you will about General Motors -- and you've probably said plenty the past two years -- but things may finally be looking up for America's largest automaker. A new survey from research firm YouGov indicates that there's light at the end of GM's tunnel, at least as far as the company's public image is concerned.

YouGov has a pool of 1.5 million survey participants, and each weekday, it asks 5,000 of them questions about the brands that litter their lives. The company then converts those responses into numeric scores that range from -100 (very poor image) to 100 (spotless reputation). A score of 0 translates as neutral. The scores measure "overall brand health incorporating sub-scores of quality, satisfaction, value, impression, reputation and willingness to recommend."

GM has had its share of ups and downs since it ventured to Washington in the fall of 2008 for the first leg of its bankruptcy/bailout grand tour. But take a look at the chart above, and you'll notice a sharp jump in GM's brand perception between November 17 and November 26, 2010 -- the time of GM's IPO. The automaker began that period with a YouGov score of 3.9 -- below that of the domestic automaking sector in general -- but by November 26, GM's score had surged to 10.3.

More importantly, that score came from YouGov survey participants who were planning to buy a car within the next six months. In other words, the improvement in GM's brand perception could have some very immediate benefits.

Of course, the graph also shows the beginning of a decline in GM's brand perception after November 26, slipping to around 9. That leads us to wonder if GM's positive buzz might just've been the result of having its name in the headlines for a couple of weeks. But either way, there's no arguing that the company's image is significantly spiffier now than it's been in recent months.

link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1052201_survey-america-loves-gm-again

Americans are for the most have a short attention span and this will help GM. The Goverment will do other things that will enrage them and they will soon foget why they were mad at GM.

The postive press of the Volt is helping and as the new better product hits the market in the next few years it should make them forget and help pay of the money owed.

Time will tell... for years I was SO very optimistic and yet we've lost

Oldsmobile and Pontiac in just one decade.

GM has always done an excellent job with

trucks & commercial vehicles, but as far as

cars the only four that really stir my soul are

the Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac CTS coupe

and if I was to forgive the travesty of FWD I

would be excited about the Buick Regal.

Ironically Pontiac's G8 was the EXACT car

I would love to buy if only I had that level of

expendable income.... the fact that it was a

Pontiac was icing on the cake, and now it's

dead. I sure hope it gets resurrected as a

Chevrolet, weather it's called Impala,

Caprice or even Chevelle.

Time will tell... for years I was SO very optimistic and yet we've lost

Oldsmobile and Pontiac in just one decade.

GM has always done an excellent job with

trucks & commercial vehicles, but as far as

cars the only four that really stir my soul are

the Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac CTS coupe

and if I was to forgive the travesty of FWD I

would be excited about the Buick Regal.

Ironically Pontiac's G8 was the EXACT car

I would love to buy if only I had that level of

expendable income.... the fact that it was a

Pontiac was icing on the cake, and now it's

dead. I sure hope it gets resurrected as a

Chevrolet, weather it's called Impala,

Caprice or even Chevelle.

When the Chevy one comes out just put a Pontiac emblem on it. That's all GM pretty much did.

There is nothing available at Chevy that could not be picked up at any other division.

Wrong. Buick has no Aveo, Camaro or Corvette equivalents...nor would they make sense badged as Buicks if that's what you mean. The trucks & SUVs are interchangeable w/ GMC, though.

Where they recently had 6 brands between the bookends, they are down to 2, one of which is mostly redundant.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

First off, in response to that same sentiment I've seen stated here repeatedly, I said "picked up".

Secondly, if the Holden Commodore > G8 is an obvious 'badge job' as hyper suggests, that same level of 'badge engineering' :rolleyes: could turn an Aveo or Camaro or Corvette into a Buick or Cadillac.

In other words: that ideal (Chevy > Buick OR Pontiac > Chevy = happy substitute) SUCKS and is 'old GM' think, IMO.