Video: 2012 Volkswagen Beetle caught making the rounds

Video: 2012 Volkswagen Beetle caught making the rounds

by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Dec 4th 2010 at 11:55AM

Before the keys land in the hands of the Oprah faithful, the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle still has to make its world debut. Until then, we have to rely on spy photographers for glimpses of der neue New Beetle. The latest clip gives us a good view of the redesigned VW as it hits the street on one of its innumerable test drives. Hit the jump to see for yourselves. Thanks for the tip, Vicken!

LINK:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/04/video-2012-volkswagen-beetle-caught-making-the-rounds/

Wow.... how lame. Another Golf with a rounded roof line, fat fenders and round lights all around.

VW will get my respect when they build a RE / RWD Beetle again. A true world car not some

lame bloated 2-door Jetta.

Wow.... how lame. Another Golf with a rounded roof line, fat fenders and round lights all around.

VW will get my respect when they build a RE / RWD Beetle again. A true world car not some

lame bloated 2-door Jetta.

Is't the Up! supposed to be a rear engined, RWD world car?

So that will be produced for the USA market? I have not been paying attention.

It's such a erroneous use of the Scirocco name, as is the new Beetle.

Both have no DNA or styling or mechanical link to their namesake.

Edited by Sixty8panther

It's such a erroneous use of the Scirocco name, as is the new Beetle.

Both have no DNA or styling or mechanical link to their namesake.

Not really...the original Scirocco was based on the original Golf. The modern Scirocco is based on the current Golf. Both are hatchbacks..the New Beetle has the styling and the shape to tie it to the original...it' s a slightly retro but modern execution of the shape, and the front engine design makes it more practical (hatchback) than old rear engine model.

So I wonder if the 2012 Beetle will be called the New New Beetle? :)

I think it's going to be cool. It sort of looks like a hot rod. Definitely more macho than the current car. Back when I got my silver '98 in April of that year, I never thought of it as a chick car. To me, it reminded me of a baby Porsche. Since then, my perception of the car has been tainted by all the gender assignment heaped on it by seemingly everyone. These spy videos and shots hint at something sportier, more dynamic and athletic. I'm interested in seeing the final product, because it appears the current car's fenders and lights are cut and pasted onto the new car's body.