1986 Lincoln commercial: The one that caught GM off guard

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Stupid generic FWD unibodies..... Too bad GM had its head up its arse before and after this commercial.

Of course Lincoln is exaggerating for effect but it's a great point to be made. I swear I'll never understand

why GM was so hellbent on trying to shove FWD down everyone's throat over the last 3 decades. The

real sad part was the F-body replacement that was being considered for a while which would have put

the FWD Beretta up against the 5.0 Mustang. That is just pathetic, but let's not forget that Ford also had

their share of sellouts in the 1980s, remember how the Probe was supposed to replace the Mustang?

Also, if we're going to throw stones in glass houses:

The Bustleback Continental was NOT at all a blatant rip-off of the 80-85 Seville....

Also, if we're going to throw stones in glass houses:

The Bustleback Continental was NOT at all a blatant rip-off of the 80-85 Seville....

Well, Chrysler (w/ the '81 Imperial) and Lincoln (w/ the '82-87 Continental) did both do bustle backs shortly after Cadillac did the '80 Seville. Must have been a vibe in the air at the time, or something in the water. :)

Anyhoo, the '80s were a time of change..not necessarily for the better. It was the era of the great FWD shift for the big 3..

Interestingly, if you flatten out the side creases on the bustlebacks, you would have the stubby, tall decklids that are all the rage today...they were retro yet also ahead of their time!

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I like all three.... my favorite being the Imperial due to its limited numbers and my 2nd favorite being the Cadddy

but I'd take a nice Conti if the price was right, esp. if it was powered by the BMW diesel like the only one I ever

tried to buy (back in 2006).

• 2 weeks later...
I swear I'll never understand

why GM was so hellbent on trying to shove FWD down everyone's throat over the last 3 decades.

Because, to quote GM, FWD anything is less expensive than RWD anything.

A "fact" proven untrue ... by GM ... time and time again.

*rolls eyes*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | noon-4p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **

"Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling" ... Steve Wariner/Alabama ... 'Tennessee Christmas'

Because, to quote GM, FWD anything is less expensive than RWD anything.

A "fact" proven untrue ... by GM ... time and time again.

*rolls eyes*

FWD is the lowest common denominator..the easy, cheap solution..

• 2 weeks later...

FWD is the lowest common denominator..the easy, cheap solution..

That may be true ... but, then, imho, NO FWD vehicle should EVER be MORE expensive than ANY RWD vehicle ... period.

*shrugs*

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You can always go home but you can never go back" ... John & Audrey Wiggins ... 'Has Anybody Seen Amy?'

That may be true ... but, then, imho, NO FWD vehicle should EVER be MORE expensive than ANY RWD vehicle ... period.

*shrugs*

Funny thing is, a long time ago, FWD was a kind of premium feature for luxury cars..like the Cords, Eldorados, Toronados...but then in the '80s in the US it was watered down into a mass market generic solution.

FWD makes sense, though, for subcompacts and compacts where space utilization is an issue...and some small FWD cars are quite iconic, like the original and modern Minis, the Golf and GTIs, various European and Japanese hot hatches, along with larger cars like SAABs, Citroens...(a couple of the most striking French designs of the 20th century--the DS and lovely SM were FWD, but didn't have nasty FWD proportions).

After driving my Toronado in 3 inches of snow (the 30 year old Oldsmobile is now the more reliable of our two vehicles), I'm convinced that old school front wheel drive had something going for it. The new stuff, not so much.

FWD w/ the longitudinal engines like the E-bodies seem more balanced and less nose heavy than transverse engined FWD models (not to mention look better, IMHO).

Saw a really clean '80s Eldorado Biarritz convertible today in it's signature white w/ red interior...that's one FWD model I'd love to have. Great crisp styling. I'll admit I also have a soft spot for the Seville of the same era.

Funny thing is, a long time ago, FWD was a kind of premium feature for luxury cars..like the Cords, Eldorados, Toronados...but then in the '80s in the US it was watered down into a mass market generic solution.

FWD makes sense, though, for subcompacts and compacts where space utilization is an issue...and some small FWD cars are quite iconic, like the original and modern Minis, the Golf and GTIs, various European and Japanese hot hatches, along with larger cars like SAABs, Citroens...(a couple of the most striking French designs of the 20th century--the DS and lovely SM were FWD, but didn't have nasty FWD proportions).

Yep ... I agree that FWD makes sense in some cases. No argument there.

But, it isn't the "be all end all" drivetrain that GM and other companies claimed it was when they transformed it into the mass market "be all end all". If that were the case, the winter months would see NO accidents with FWD vehicles, and obviously, that isn't the case.

Furthermore ... GM didn't nail the generic cheap solution very well, especially considering they, along with other companies, have continuously claimed that ANYTHING FWD is cheaper than ANYTHING RWD.

In 1987, you could get a Caprice Classic (RWD, btw) for less than a new FWD Olds:

http://www.motobullet.com/news.php?id=10312

And ... according to a dealership's website here in IL, today, you can get a RWD Camaro or RWD Colorado or RWD Silverado for less than a FWD Celebrity/Lumina/"impala":

CHEVROLET CAMARO

MSRP from $22,680*

CHEVROLET IMPALA

MSRP from $24,390*

CHEVROLET COLORADO

MSRP from $17,045*

CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500

MSRP from $20,850*

*shrugs*

*** 3rd GEN MC (1978,1979,1980) FORUM RE-LAUNCH > http://thirdgenmontes.proboards.com/index.cgi ***

"You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile" ... Thurl Ravenscroft ... 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch'

In 1987, you could get a Caprice Classic (RWD, btw) for less than a new FWD Olds:

http://www.motobullet.com/news.php?id=10312

Oldsmobile was two brands up from Chevy, understandable that a Chevy would cost less..

CHEVROLET CAMARO

MSRP from $22,680*

CHEVROLET IMPALA

MSRP from $24,390*

CHEVROLET COLORADO

MSRP from $17,045*

CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500

MSRP from $20,850*

Apples and oranges, though...you are comparing a 2dr sporty coupe against a 4dr sedan and trucks.

Oldsmobile was two brands up from Chevy, understandable that a Chevy would cost less..

Apples and oranges, though...you are comparing a 2dr sporty coupe against a 4dr sedan and trucks.

While true on both accounts, it further disproves the claim from GM and other manufacturers that anything RWD is more expensive than anything FWD. This is simply NOT the case, even though that is part of the argument they made back when they turned FWD into the "mass market generic solution". It simply isn't.

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"And the simple truth so very much clearer" ... Everything ... 'Hooch'

• 9 months later...