Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Taking Lucerne to Next Level

buickguy

WIth Lucerne selling very well and getting great reviews, what can GM do to take it to the next level? I suggest:

1. More chrome

2. A more Buick grille.

3. Maybe a coupe, and convertible version...maybe even a wagon!

4. A few distinctive colors that no one else has.

*A 5/6-speed automatic to shut people up

*Bump the Northstar to 291hp and add a midlevel 3.6l V6 with 250-260hp.

*Foglamps standard on CXL, CXS; opt on CX

*Heads-Up Display

*More Buicky rear-end

*Lucerne Super with 300+hp twin-turbo V6, blackout trim, sport tuning, etc.

WIth Lucerne selling very well and getting great reviews, what can GM do to take it to the next level?  I suggest:

1.    More chrome

2.    A more Buick grille. 

3.    Maybe a coupe, and convertible version...maybe even a wagon!

4.    A few distinctive colors that no one else has.

1) An available blue interior

2) Ditch the base 3800

3) Get that new 6 speed in quick

4) Make the housings behind the mirrors body color instead of black

5) Use the non intrusive trunk hinges from the smaller LaCrosse

6) Upgrade the 275 hp engine to the 292 hp version

7) Make lighted visor mirrors, power drivers seat recliner and leather steering wheel standard on base CX model

8) Lose a couple hundred pounds of weight to increase gas mileage to 31 highway

9) Make the dash plastic soft touch like the Deville but with finer grain

10) And please please please make the 3.6 DOHC engine std so all the Toyota lovers can't break this cars chops

1) An available blue interior

2) Ditch the base 3800

3) Get that new 6 speed in quick

4) Make the housings behind the mirrors body color instead of black

5) Use the non intrusive trunk hinges from the smaller LaCrosse

6) Upgrade the 275 hp engine to the 292 hp version

7) Make lighted visor mirrors, power drivers seat recliner and leather steering wheel standard on base CX model

8) Lose a couple hundred pounds of weight to increase gas mileage to 31 highway

9) Make the dash plastic soft touch like the Deville but with finer grain

10) And please please please make the 3.6 DOHC engine std so all the Toyota lovers can't break this cars chops

Add the 6-speed auto to your list and optional HID headlamps and now we're talkin' :)

Have the radio/ HVAC better integrated into the dash.. Maybe make the plastic the same color as the rest of the interior.

Rear reclining seats (probably impossible to do on this vehicle) Though, the Avalon has it.

More use of real wood grain. Preferably light in color.

My ideas: Lucerne Reserve, Super, and Ultra trims replace CXL and CXS trims (CX is dropped; Ultra is all new and above the others).

3.6-liter DOHC High Feature 250hp V-6 engine with 6-speed OD electronic automatic transmission standard on Reserve; 270hp on Super, and a 4.6-liter DOHC 'Buick Eight' 291hp V-8 (Ultra-optional Super). This would just be for the current Lucerne, and change the dashboard so that it (ditto the Cadillac DTS) don't look like that of the Chevy Impala's (not bad for Impala, but bad for Lucerne/DTS). Add increased luxury features, change the front and rear ends, and its good for now.

I agree about integrating the center stack (HVAC/Radio controls) better with the rest of the car. I'd like to see real wood in a car at this price (well, at least real in the CXL and CXS).

Base power for this car should be a bit higher and the engine should be more refined... granted the 3800 is an awesome engine, it's time is up and we all know it.

all of the above, AWD and surround sound.

Ooooh--I forgot about AWD. Well, honestly, I think ALL of Cadillac's vehicles should have optional AWD before Buick gets it--then again, it's flagship should have it as an option. Surround sound? Hmmm... sure, why not? After all, it's fantasy and we'll probably see almost no changes for 2007 in reality!

What we'll actually see:

- Heated steering wheel

- Optional Wood/leather steering wheel

What are possibles?

- 6-speed auto

- new color or two

Other than that, I really don't foresee GM changing a car they just released this year.

I have to agree another transmission would help...I've heard rumors but nothing solid on a 5 speed. To get rid of the 3800 would be a mistake just because that's just such a popular choice among older customers. I think as far as what improvements I'd do besides the transmission they need to make the fog lamps and chrome moldings a part of the CXL package, it looks way better than what they have and people want the fog lamps. I'd like to see them make the 2 accesory wheels factory installed options they look good on the car plus it makes them cheaper.

I have to agree another transmission would help...I've heard rumors but nothing solid on a 5 speed.  To get rid of the 3800 would be a mistake just because that's just such a popular choice among older customers.  I think as far as what improvements I'd do besides the transmission they need to make the fog lamps and chrome moldings a part of the CXL package, it looks way better than what they have and people want the fog lamps.  I'd like to see them make the 2 accesory wheels factory installed options they look good on the car plus it makes them cheaper.

I completely doubt they'd put a 5-speed in there since the 6-speed auto will be available by 2007. And at this point, I'm doubting they'll put the 6-speed in there. Since the 3800 will at the most, be around for one more model year, only in the Lucerne and LaCrosse, I think they won't bother changing the transmission until 2008 when they actually have to change the base engine as the 3800 will have been retired.

I completely doubt they'd put a 5-speed in there since the 6-speed auto will be available by 2007.  And at this point, I'm doubting they'll put the 6-speed in there.  Since the 3800 will at the most, be around for one more model year, only in the Lucerne and LaCrosse, I think they won't bother changing the transmission until 2008 when they actually have to change the base engine as the 3800 will have been retired.

The rumors I heard on the 5 speed (and it might have been a 6 speed my memory's shot :blink: ) was for the Lucerne Super. And really I have no problem with the transmission in the CXS I'm driving I can't complain about it.... From the standpoint of hearing complaints I'm dreading that 3800 retirement. You wouldn't believe how many of these older customers swore up and down that Buick's going to get canned because they quit making thier stodgy LeSabre. :pokeowned:

I'd kill for a 2 door Lucerne with a more powerful engine.

But nobody likes large 2 door vehicles anymore.  I'd probably be the only one in line to get it.

:wavey: Nope, not the only one.

It probably wouldn't sell very well since it's a large sedan. 

Anyway:

A coupe would require a new body style and perhaps a shorter wheel base. 

You're better off dreaming of the Zeta Buick offering a coupe.  It's more realistic.

See, with all the back and forth, I still don't know if Zeta will happen here in the US?!

Here's my limited wishlist:

1. Standard foglights on the CXL model.

2. Upgraded interior materials.

3. Available HID's.

4. 3.6 liter V-6 replacing the 3800.

5. Optional one inch larger wheels on all models.

It probably wouldn't sell very well since it's a large sedan. 

Anyway:

A coupe would require a new body style and perhaps a shorter wheel base. 

You're better off dreaming of the Zeta Buick offering a coupe.  It's more realistic.

Right- exactly... like I said- I wouldn't expect it to happen but it'd be cool.

Like even the 2 door LeSabres they offered in the late 80s and (maybe) early 90s were really nice compared to the 4 door ones. But the days of doing 2 door large vehicles are pretty much over.

Right- exactly... like I said- I wouldn't expect it to happen but it'd be cool.

Like even the 2 door LeSabres they offered in the late 80s and (maybe) early 90s were really nice compared to the 4 door ones. But the days of doing 2 door large vehicles are pretty much over.

What's funny is, whenever I think of a LARGE 2-door cars, I think of 1994, when my friend and I got our licenses, and he inherited his dad's 1982 Olds 98, in awesome condition... and when I think of that car, I think of, "Damn huge-ass doors... so hard to open when parked in a parking space." Always had to be careful of not dinging the car next to me.

What's funny is, whenever I think of a LARGE 2-door cars, I think of 1994...

Funny... I think of 1994 also, but because of the new 1995 Buick Riviera which was on the first version of the Lucerne's platform. So if you want a 2-door Lucerne, Buy a 95-99 Riv :)

Funny... I think of 1994 also, but because of the new 1995 Buick Riviera which was on the first version of the Lucerne's platform. So if you want a 2-door Lucerne, Buy a 95-99 Riv :)

I LOVED that damn car! Edited by Paolino

*A 5/6-speed automatic to shut people up

*Bump the Northstar to 291hp and add a midlevel 3.6l V6 with 250-260hp.

*Foglamps standard on CXL, CXS; opt on CX

*Heads-Up Display

*More Buicky rear-end

*Lucerne Super with 300+hp twin-turbo V6, blackout trim, sport tuning, etc.

Agreed on these...the Jetta/Passat rear would be the first change I'd make. It needs Buick-style wide, horizontal taillights.

Wow, most of my thoughts are shared with you guys. The Lucerne will probably be my next car, so I hope they are listening:

*Full Blue interior

*HUD

*foglamps standard or available for all models

plus:

*fold down back seat. I'll NEVER buy another car without it now that I have my Impala, didn't know what I was missing with the Cutlass. I also find it dissapointing that the Lucerne has larger exterior dimensions than the Impala, yet has a smaller trunk. I love big cars, but that size should translate into usable space.

*also, I see I am in the minority in this one, but keep the 3800 until it can be replaced with something with as good/better fuel economy. The 3.6 doesn't cut it. I'm all about mpg with gas closing in on $3/gallon.

*a coupe or wagon would be a welcome addition. I know they are opposites, but I'd buy either one if offered, though the coupe would be my preference.