C&G - Top 10 recently canceled vehicles that should be brought back

A few other models nobody threw out:

Ford Thunderbird: It's just dripping with brand equity, and Ford is lacking a flagship.

Lincoln LS: Lincoln shouldn't be only for the geriatric set. A mew Mark IX and Continental would be nice too.

I'd second the vote on a minivan, assuming it is done right, and not the way the Uplander/Relay/Terrazza/Montana were.

To further elaborate on my XLR suggestion, I could see the car going one of tow routes. One being the $50k V6 roadster like an SLK, Z4 or nicer 370Z. Or as a GT sort of car like the Jaguar XK that could be coupe or convertible. In that scenario the XLR would stay at $80,000, but need a lot better execution than just dressing up a Corvette like the last go around. Either way the car came back I'd like.

We rented a Pacifica once, it was superb.

I had a Pacifica rental twice on vacations, it is good for that job. What I like about the Pacifica, is it is roomy (2nd row captains chairs), and you have a good seating position without being nose-bleed high. I drove the 4.0 V6 with the 6-speed, not a bad car to drive.

When the Pacifica died, the Toyota Venza sort of took its place, maybe Dodge Journey to an extent, but the Journey just seems like a piece of junk.

Ford Thunderbird: It's just dripping with brand equity, and Ford is lacking a flagship.

Lincoln LS: Lincoln shouldn't be only for the geriatric set. A mew Mark IX and Continental would be nice too.

The T-bird and LS are both great candidates, they still draw my attention in traffic.

• Agree 2

Let's have this on the record as my official answer to the initial question. LOVED the last gen of that car, and by God, hell or high water I'm going to own one someday.

2005-Ford-Thunderbird-50th-Anniversary-1955-1024x768.jpg

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Ok, so I'm going to ask a question that may be stupid, but:

Can I pick the same thing as someone else?

The only reason I have to ask is because my vote is entirely behind the Dodge Magnum. (With the Viper, and then the Pacifica! close behind.)

It seems as though others have noticed my beloved Pentastar killing off cars that were great.

If not, I have something else I could suggest, but I wanted to know upfront since its all being aggregated into a poll.

My additional thoughts- More "pure versions of a few of my fav. cars.

the third gen Miata is a little heavy and not quite as nimble, the MINI became a little bit uglier and more awkward, and the C6 is a fabulous car, but the C5, esp. the C5 ZO6, is a little more user friendlily and a little bit more Unique in the Z06 package as a C5 car....the titanium muffler and other good stuff Gm dropped for the C6 Z06...

You can nominate as many as you want even if someone already did.

Alright then, well, my first (and loudest) vote is for:

The Dodge Magnum

2006_Dodge_magnum_front1_lr.jpg

The Magnum was a great concept and a great vehicle.

A functional wagon with great engine options and the handling to make coupe owners jealous.

I've seen guys throw lumber into the back of their Magnums at the hardware store where I work, then peel out of the parking lot. Thats a functional vehicle right there.

It did suffer from some interior blah-ness, I won't disagree, but with the new interiors Chrysler has been coming out with, now that their own designers are allowed to work on them again and not stay within $15 material costs for each one, I can easily see it ending up with a much better interior if it had stayed around.

Modern Americans have never given wagons the respect they deserve. They get better gas mileage than SUVs, look better than crossovers, and when built correctly, can outperform and outhandle comparable sedans. If it wasn't for this strange, off-base hatred of wagons, we wouldn't be so dependent on SUVs and minivans for people/stuff hauling.

Having driven the Magnum, it would put a lot of sedans to shame. Go drive one, you'll agree with me.

One of the things that pains me most as a Mopar owner/lover is that I can't waltz into the dealership and order my ideal Magnum. Instead, I'll have to search and search for the right one when I finally make my purchase.

So heres a big +1 for the Magnum.

On a different note, my second and unique vote is for a vehicle that Drew has already expressed his disapproval for, but that I will argue was actually perfect:

The Chrysler Aspen

2007-Chrysler-Aspen-for-sale_260701729599.jpg

I don't care whether you liked the name or not, you had to drive one of these to understand the love for them.

I don't believe that Chrysler ever intended it to be a replacement for the Pacifica, it was never touted or mentioned as one, and was produced right alongside the Pacifica for nearly its entire life.

Instead, it was built to outdo GM and Ford at a segment that they had both had wrapped up for a while: Large luxury SUVs.

The Aspen was clean and classy looking, came well optioned, had a pretty decent interior, and rode like a dream.

When you drive one, the suspension tuning is superb, totally superb. It glides over bumps, you don't have any idea they are there, even the biggest potholes and ruts. When it comes to handling, it manages to surprise you (it surprised me) because you can turn it on a dime, it doesn't feel nearly like the behemoth it is. It handles better than your soccer mom's Escalade or your socialite's Navigator, and it outclasses both of them in the process. (In my opinion)

I know that everyone bashed it and that the naming was questionable, but there is a reason that they hold their resale value as well as they do: they were an overlooked vehicle that more people should have taken a look at originally when they shopped the luxury SUV market. Go drive one, I swear you'll be surprised.

Edited by Sneke_Eyez

Camino, I find that people on car forums tend to be more sympathetic to wagons. I feel that its because the majority of us recognize them for what they are: Excellent alternatives to SUVs, crossovers, minivans, and even sedans, that can be a whole lot more fun (in both handling, performance, and looks) than any of the aforementioned types of vehicles.

Unfortunately for the wagon segment in general, modern car-buying Americans do not feel the same way. They view the 70s and 80s wagons that they grew up in as offensive, boring, and ugly, and have subsequently rejected every good wagon that Detroit has managed to throw their way, particularly the Magnum. Additionally, they have oddly embraced such monstrosities as the Accord Crosstour, the most universally ugly vehicle made lately, and it isn't ugly because its a wagon, it is ugly because it is ugly.

+3 on the Magnum. The Viper will at least be back in one form or another (but it won't be the same), the Magnum probably won't, which is a real shame.

Also Satty, I agree, the Aventine was a really cool idea. Not pretty by any means, but funky and had a lot of neat tricks and ideas.

Clementine is Example 1 of where awful styling crosses over from subjective to objective.

Had a hideous, barren interior with awful ergonomics, but I can see how some would call that 'great'.

avantime-1-zoom.jpg

Oooo; that is luxurious! :facepalm:

-- -- -- -- --

Quick! Which car is this passage describing :

>>"The design was based on a new architectural concept. The unusual proportions respected the fundamentals of executive vehicle design: safety, comfort, ride, equipment. Through a subtle alchemy, (--X--) combined the values of several types of vehicle. It had the (--X--) architecture, space, functionality and user-friendly features of an MPV, the design, drivability and dynamic ride of a coupe..."<<

That's right- it also describes this vehicle full of "neat tricks & ideas":

SirVivalMNY.jpg

I like to think of it as what would happen if a Packard & an Econoline made a baby. :rolleyes: