Holden Statesmen sedan

Not long back Lutz made a reference to a 'Buick Statesman', mentioned in the same article as the future of the GTO. I wonder if he meant this car? If he did, it could be in American dealerships inside 12 months (it is ready and in production in only a few months) as it goes on sale in Australia before the end of this year.

Not long back Lutz made a reference to a 'Buick Statesman', mentioned in the same article as the future of the GTO. I wonder if he meant this car? If he did, it could be in American dealerships inside 12 months (it is ready and in production in only a few months) as it goes on sale in Australia before the end of this year.

This is an artist's conception of the car Lutz was talking about, or at least the Holden version. Hopefully, the actual car looks considerably better and the Buick version better than that.

It seems they--"near luxury/luxury brands" all have the AUDI POINT at the C piller----OR----the BMW DOGLEG KINK!-----WHATEVER HAPPENED TO (((UNIQUE TO THE BRAND STYLEING!!)) Please GM something DIFFERENT ((PLEASE!!))

I hate this! I hope this is as accurate as your typical C&D rendering...

What's wrong? Primarily, very dated styling from 1998. The trend has been to substantial, more formal rooflines, and this design features spindly, thin C-pillars. The rear is bland, but acceptable, though far too influenced by AUDI. The front is straight off the VW Phaeton. Overall, I've seen this car before, and if the 500/Montego get panned for derivative VW styling a generation late, then so should this.

Overall: D-

Taking front end styling cues from the 2007 Chevy Aveo is a dumb move, but otherwise the car looks good, though its rear end also needs sprucing up.

I hate this!  I hope this is as accurate as your typical C&D rendering...

The front is straight off the VW Phaeton.

Overall: D-

I really disagree Croc, there's minor, minor similarities to the Phaeton. The headlights are differently shaped completely and the Phaeton's C-Pillar is horrible. Like someone said, think more of the new Holden Barina. And besides, with so many designs out there from so many manufacturers, they can only be 100% original for so long. Not that I want it to come here looking as exact as that illustration.

And the Phaeton is hardly a car to copy. Poor sales and a lack-luster design...yeah, let's copy that design. :rolleyes:

if this is accurate, hopefully the details are all wrong. the front end looks to fit in with the Torana and what we've seen from Holden, BUT this rendition is hopelessly bland. the generic roofline is all 500 all last gen A6. The rear is generic too. If it came here as is, it would go nowhere. I am not passing judgement on what the Statesman will look like, since this is only a drawing, i am passing judgement on this poor drawing.

Posted Image]My Webpage[/url]Zeta Holden?

Posted Image]My Webpage[/url]

Rear windows have "BMW"-like dog legs.

Dual exhaust tips stick out the back.

Front end has a far better grille.

The proportions of the drawing-photoshop are wrong and goofy. Nose isn't that short and bulky looking (though it is a little taller to pass Euro pedestrian standards I think). It's actually proportioned closer to the current Holden V-cars if memory serves.

Otherwise, looks pretty close methinks. Especially the tail. :ninja:

Edited by guionM

I think it looks too much like an Audi too. Audi's have always been pretty clean in the styling department, but now that everybody from Holden to Hyundai to Ford is copying it the overall look is going from clean to bland. I don't understand why GM doesn't use more of its "dream" car styling. The Chevy SS from a few years back had an Audi like green house, but the much different fenders made it look great. The LaCrosse concept was several orders of magnitude better looking than the dull thing they gave us.

This is far from a bad design, but it sure isn't going to light any fires like the A4 and A6 did back when they were new and what the 300 is doing now.

It seems edgy styling has been a good thing at Cadillac. The styling can be edgy without the product being quite as edgy as the Art and Science look. The new Enclave is awesome (asumming it comes to market pretty much unchanged). But this Statesman is way too deriviative to get anyone excited about the way it looks. Its not offensive, but thats about the best I can give it.

If this platform begets Buicks, and I hope it does. I hope the make the scale of styling change as bewteen the dull US LaCrosse and the at-least-a-copy-of-a- more-recentl-styled-car Chinese LaCrosse. Even better would be to give it some modern as tomorrow style.