Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Quick Spin: 2011 Dodge Avenger

Filed under: Budget, Sedan, Dodge, Quick Spin

An Old Dog Learns A Few New Tricks

2011 Dodge Avenger
2011 Dodge Avenger - Click above for high-res image gallery

Chrysler has chosen vastly different fates for its Sebring and the Dodge Avenger, despite the two essentially being identical vehicles. While the Sebring underwent a complete personality makeover for 2011 and emerged with new sheetmetal and a new nameplate to match, the Avenger was left to soldier on with more conservative tweaks. The Dodge version of Chrysler's midsize sedan still wears the same basic body lines as before, masking over the significant adjustments to the vehicle's interior, drivetrain and suspension. While the Chrysler 200 may be stealing (okay, borrowing) the show, the 2011 Avenger is no less improved, at least when equipped with the company's new 3.6-liter V6 engine.

With 283 horsepower and respectable fuel economy, the new six-cylinder turns the Avenger into a vehicle that no longer takes its driving cues from capital punishment, though lower-rung trim levels don't fare as well. Buyers who opt for the old 2.4-liter four-cylinder will be met with visions from the vehicle's less-than-award-winning past, including plenty of engine vibration and fuel economy that's not on par with new hardware coming out from the competition. All this begs the question: Is there room for both the Dodge Avenger and the Chrysler 200 under the new company tent?

Continue reading...

Photos copyright ©2010 Drew Phillips / AOL

Continue reading Quick Spin: 2011 Dodge Avenger

Quick Spin: 2011 Dodge Avenger originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=W8CXcGMuRHQ:y5PN2crFX-4:wF9xT autoblog?i=W8CXcGMuRHQ:y5PN2crFX-4:V_sGL
W8CXcGMuRHQ

View the full article

To answer the question at the end of the article: YES, because Dodge sorely needs something compelling below the Charger.

I never cared for this car, but it did look the part of the Charger's awkward little brother. That said, this refresh is pretty lame and, and other than the Pentastar V6, there's no compelling feature about it, even compared to the 2010 Avenger. I'm hoping that it only has to soldier on like this for a year or two until an all-new Avenger is ready.

That said, this refresh is pretty lame and, and other than the Pentastar V6, there's no compelling feature about it, even compared to the 2010 Avenger.

Well that and the vastly improved interior and better driving dynamics.

I would have liked them do something about the rear door window shape, or at least do some more with the fascias. The 200 may share the same greenhouse with the Sebring, but the fascias are different enough to tell that something has been done to the car. But then, the Sebring needed the exterior help a lot more, so I'm glad the money was spent there.

I'm hoping the next gen 200 moves way upmarket so they o longer compete with each other.

Wow, it really looks plain unless it's an R/T. Should have been called the Dart.

Wow, it really looks plain unless it's an R/T. Should have been called the Dart.

Nah, it would need to be apple green w/ a vinyl top and bench seat to be called 'Dart'. :)

The styling is still terrible.

At least it looks like something, as opposed to certain competitors that appear to have all came out of the same Daewoo factory. For the interim, the changes are significant enough to warrant keeping this vehicle around while a proper replacement is developed.