NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: U.S. Volkswagen Golf R Announcement Set For 2011 Detroit Auto Show

10 posts in this topic

Report: U.S. Volkswagen Golf R Announcement Set For 2011 Detroit Auto Show

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

December 8th, 2010

2011-volkswagen-golf-r_100305225_m.jpg

Since the first unveiling of the 270 horsepower 2011 Volkswagen Golf R, hot hatch enthusiasts here in the U.S. have been pining for a successor to the legendary R32, but according to previous reports the new Golf R is still up in the air for American sale due to cost issues and the relationship between the euro and the dollar.

That may soon change as Volkswagen officials let loose hints to the guys at Car and Driver during a recent visit that the Golf R is a near-certainty for the U.S. market and that an announcement could be made as early as next month’s 2011 Detroit Auto Show.

If all goes to the plan, the car would arrive in local showrooms before the end of the year as a 2012 model. There’s no word on pricing but expect a ballpark figure of around $33,000. While this may appear a bit rich considering the Nissan 370Z, V-8 powered Mustang GT and Camaro SS all start for less, you are getting plenty of niceties with the Golf R including leather Recaro buckets, a DSG dual clutch transmission and a sophisticated 4Motion all-wheel drive system.

No wonder the car is described as the “best Golf ever” by numerous publications.

The good news is, if the Golf R does come here, we’re also likely to get a high-performance ‘R’ version of the Jetta sedan as well.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1052339_report-u-s-volkswagen-golf-r-announcement-set-for-2011-detroit-auto-show_gallery-1#100305225

Officially Official: Volkswagen Golf R headed to U.S. for 2012

by Chris Paukert (RSS feed) on Dec 9th 2010 at 2:00PM

volkswagen-golf-r20-630_01.jpg

It's been a couple of years since Volkswagen's heavyweight hot hatch, the R32, graced America's shores, but now we have official word of a successor. Tuned by the in-house R team at Volkswagen, the Golf R should be a good bit more exciting than its already entertaining forebear, and hopefully, it will shave a few pounds off, too.

Unlike the R32, which was powered by VW's popular VR6, the new model will be powered by Volkswagen's ubiquitous turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder. And while Volkswagen isn't quoting power output for the new U.S. model, the European version currently on sale conjures up 270 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. All of that gumption will be routed through VW's fourth generation Haldex 4Motion all-wheel drive system, which means the VW should once again be a good foil for cars like the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.

Along with the power increase, VW is promising bigger brakes, an uprated suspension, 18-inch wheels, center-exit dual exhaust and a more liberally tuned ESP. Perhaps most interestingly, the Golf R will be available in both two and four doors and be paired exclusively with a manual transmission. That's right, we said it.

Although the press release after the jump doesn't mention when it will debut (our money's on Detroit), additional R accoutrements include model-specific aero bits and badging, along with upgrated trim and a new steering wheel, shift knob, and so on.

In other words, it's time to get excited.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/09/volkswagen-golf-r-coming-to-america-official/

Officially Confirmed: New Volkswagen Golf R to go on Sale in the USA

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 09, 2010

Golf-R1.jpg

Hot hatches are mostly a European fad, but Volkswagen’s R- and GTI-badged products have proved successful in the North American market over the years. That said, VW loyalists will be happy to know that the new Golf R has finally received the green light for America. No specific launch date was given, but according to the official announcement, the U.S.-bound Golf R will be released in “limited numbers and for a very limited time” starting from 2012.

Already offered in Europe and other markets, the Golf R32's successor ditches the naturally aspirated V6 in favor of a turbocharged 2.0-liter TSI engine. The Euro-spec model’s four-pot is rated at 270 hp and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque, bringing it closer to the STi and EVO X. Available in both 3- and 5-door flavors, the R also features VW's 4Motion all-wheel drive with a Haldex differential.

The 0 to 100km/h (62mph) sprint is completed in 5.7 seconds when the Golf R is equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox, and in 5.5 seconds when gears are shifted with VW's optional DSG dual clutch transmission. In both cases top speed is limited to 250km/h or 155 mph.

As for the U.S. version, detailed specifications should be available later on.

By Csaba Daradics

Key attributes:

• 2.0L turbocharged engine with significant hp increase over GTI

• 4th generation Haldex 4Motion - all wheel drive

• Increased rotor diameter translating to improved braking

• Sport tuned ESP

• Upgraded sport tuned suspension

• 2 door or 4 door

• Manual Transmission Only

• Unique 18" alloy wheels

• Unique steering wheel

• Unique interior trim

• Exterior R model badge and bodykit

• R model shift knob

• R model door sills

• R model front and rear fascia with dual, center exit, exhaust

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/12/officially-confirmed-new-volkswagen.html

The 3-door is gorgeous. Love it!

Moltar, this is not a small car. A Polo or Lupo is a small car, in proper context.

The 3-door is gorgeous. Love it!

Moltar, this is not a small car. A Polo or Lupo is a small car, in proper context.

It's a compact. It's small. A subcompact would be really small. Anything smaller than midsize is small to me..

• Upvote 1

Well it feels like a jab at me, carried over into yet another thread, so let me clarify my position: Americans don't like subcompact cars.

Well it feels like a jab at me, carried over into yet another thread, so let me clarify my position: Americans don't like subcompact cars.

Ah, you aren't the only one to say 'Americans don't like small cars'..it's a pretty common meme around here..

I dunno, you seemed to have plenty of contempt for anything smaller than a Malibu.

But what's more important is that VW still has some exciting cars that actually look cool, and not super bland to the point they make a Camry look exciting. But I still want the Scirocco.

Fast VW Golf coming to America

By MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

The fastest and most expensive version of the Volkswagen Golf will come to American roads in 2012, and a name synonymous with rock ‘n roll guitar music is developing a new sound system for the brand.

The turbocharged all-wheel-drive Golf R will probably pack around 265 horsepower. VW’s still fine-tuning the U.S. version of the car, which is already a hit in Europe. It will compete with other high-performance compacts like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and Subaru WRX STI.

Separately, Fender Music, creator of the legendary Stratocaster guitar and other rock mainstays, has developed a new sound system specifically for VW vehicles. Fender hasn’t made car audio before. The system debuts in the VW Jetta GLI next year will feature Panasonic speakers.

LINK:

http://www.freep.com/article/20101209/BLOG40/101209030/1210/business01/Fast-VW-Golf-coming-to-America

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.