Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Rumormill: 2011 Jeep Compass to get big price increase, Trail Rated model

Rumormill: 2011 Jeep Compass to get big price increase, Trail Rated model

by Jeremy Korzeniewski (RSS feed) on Dec 9th 2010 at 1:01PM

Thanks to the efforts of some wily spy shooters, we've already peered upon the vastly improved styling of the redesigned 2011 Jeep Compass. If a report from the usually well-informed Allpar.com is correct, it would seem Jeep will be positioning its 2011 Compass a few rungs up the ladder than the platform-sharing Patriot.

If reports are correct, buyers will also need to fork over significantly more cash for the Compass in 2011. According to Allpar, the Compass will start at $19,995 in front-wheel drive guise and $21,695 when powering all four wheels – the 2010 model starts at just $15,365. More interesting, though, is word that the new Compass will be Trail Rated for the first time, something we suspected from the rather familiar-looking round fender badges on the silver vehicle in our spy shot gallery.

Presumably using the same off-road bits and pieces as the Trail Rated Patriot – Freedom Drive II with a CVT and dedicated low-range gearing – the Compass is rumored to feature repositioned rebound springs cribbed à la Grand Cherokee, along with an increase in ride height by one inch.

After looking at the pictures, we had an inkling that the new Compass may in fact be a more desirable overall package than the 2011 Patriot, which starts at $15,995, and this report would appear to confirm that hunch.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/09/rumormill-2011-jeep-compass-to-get-big-price-increase-trail-ra/

I still find this decision odd. The Patriot looks so much more Jeep-like. I still do not like the 2011 Compass as much as I like the 2011 Patriot.

I'm not sure these changes are worth any price increase. I mean... the fascia was but a single aspect of the Compass's sheer ugliness. It's still an awkward looking little thing with no real place in Jeep's line-up. The Patriot is an all-around better vehicle in every way.

It makes sense, though... the two were too similarly priced. Now the Compass is apparently more upmarket. Maybe it has more engineering refinements and more equipment than the down-and-dirty Patriot.

I'm not sure these changes are worth any price increase. I mean... the fascia was but a single aspect of the Compass's sheer ugliness. It's still an awkward looking little thing with no real place in Jeep's line-up. The Patriot is an all-around better vehicle in every way.

The sides and rear look relatively unchanged, incl. those stupid 'hidden' door handles on the rear doors (hate that detail)..never really saw the point of the Compass, not as 'Jeepish' as the Patriot or Liberty.