NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Only 1,000 BMW 1-Series M Coupes Headed To U.S., Priced Near $45,000

15 posts in this topic

Only 1,000 BMW 1-Series M Coupes Headed To U.S., Priced Near $45,000

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

December 10th, 2010

2011-bmw-1-series-m-coupe_100333547_m.jpg

If the new 2011 BMW 1-Series M Coupe tickled your fancy, perhaps even enough to make you want to head to your nearest BMW showroom, then you better act fast as only 1,000 units, possibly less, are reportedly headed for the U.S.

The information was revealed by BMW exec Thomas Plucinsky, who spoke recently with Inside Line. Plucinsky also revealed that pricing on the new sports coupe had not been finalized though it will be more affordable than the M3, which lists at $59,275, including an $875 destination charge.

"As pricing went up in the current-generation M3, the demographics skewed higher in terms of age and income," he said. "With the 1-Series M Coupe, we're hoping to give younger people a chance to get into an M car--people in their 30s."

The car will be well equipped and offered with only two packages, a navigation package and an entertainment one. As already reported, a conventional six-speed manual will be the only option. Three different colors will be available: Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic and Valencia Orange Metallic. Inside, there will be black leather trim with contrasting orange stitching.

The new 2011 BMW 1-Series M Coupe will arrive in showrooms next spring.

[inside Line]

LINK:

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1052397_only-1000-bmw-1-series-m-coupes-headed-to-u-s-priced-near-45000_gallery-1#100333547

I do not know whether to love or hate this car. The good to know it gets all the dynamic elements such as brakes, suspension from the bigger brethren, but specifications are a little let down in terms of power.

Price wise there is little room for being under $45,000 so in terms of BMW it is "reasonable."

Hmm...with the size and price point, the 6 cyl, this seems like it's a modern version of the M3 from about 10 years ago..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hmm...with the size and price point, the 6 cyl, this seems like it's a modern version of the M3 from about 10 years ago..

Probably weighs more. I'd love an M3 from the mid-90's, they were supposed to be great handlers and drivers even with only 240hp.

Probably weighs more. I'd love an M3 from the mid-90's, they were supposed to be great handlers and drivers even with only 240hp.

They were great..should have kept my '96. I wouldn't mind having an E46 from around '02-03, though. It's probably my favorite 3-series generation overall.

Based on the sales of the 1-series, I seriously doubt bmw can move 1000 of these, or even get close to it.

Actually, I can't believe they are only sending 1,000. They will sell every single one. This is the 1 series many enthusiasts have been waiting for I think. Granted, the specs aren't all that impressive, but I suppose any more power and it would easily encroach and outperform the M3.

The e36 m3 was pretty much the best handling car of its time, and even with their seemingly low power specs, they still moved along pretty swiftly. Now, the one to get would be one with a swapped euro S50. Now you have a car that not only handles well, but hauls ass.

I think I may pick up an e36 M3 as a track beater. My buddy just picked up a real clean one for 5k.

Edited by Nick

Last time I checked, BMW was only moving 6000 1-series of all models/yr, and most of those went to people wanting a FWD BMW. :P

How are they going to move 1000 M-coupes ??

We'll see...

Last time I checked, BMW was only moving 6000 1-series of all models/yr, and most of those went to people wanting a FWD BMW. :P

How are they going to move 1000 M-coupes ??

We'll see...

<sarcasm>

There is no market for coupes in the US... so 900 of them are going to sit unloved on dealer lots until the junkyard comes to get them.

</sarcasm>

It's a good looking car, with bulges in all the right places. I'll bet it will look wicked in white. This is what driving was invented for.