A small chance of a big change

Camino LS6

Something came up today that, if it pans out, would mean a big change for me.

Unfortunately, it would also mean an unpleasant commute inside the city limits of Philadelphia every day. I hate cities, but this could be worth the aggravation.

So, I'm thinking that my Tahoe isn't the right beast for such a commute (should this happen). Pushing 200k and at 15 years old, asking it to do a high-traffic, 40 mile slog everyday doesn't seem advisible.

It is very early to be thinking about this, but should it happen, a change will need to be made for daily driver purposes.

I'm thinking small 4x4 pickup.

But I'm not married to that idea in any way.

Input?

Well, I'm regularly pulling down 17.5-18mpg in pure city driving in a 2WD I5 Colorado with traction control. I'm sure a stripped down 4cyl model would do even better.

Having driven a Colorado more than my own car these past few months,, I would rank it as slightly above walking, but with more things broken.

Maybe one with a v8 and newer than 2007 are better, but the 5 cylinder 2007s we have are utter piles. I'd rather spend the money on a bigger, nicer truck, which is a shame because I like the size of the Colorado.

What about a Grand Cherokee?

• Agree 1

You could always go with a Ranger. They're obviously proven, having the same powertrains since 1993. Maybe a 6cyl/stick Dakota too.

I'd suggest an S10, but 4cyl models are super weak. Try accelerating onto a highway with a vehicle whose 0-60 time is best measured with a calendar.

• Agree 1

You could always go with a Ranger. They're obviously proven, having the same powertrains since 1993. Maybe a 6cyl/stick Dakota too.

I'd suggest an S10, but 4cyl models are super weak. Try accelerating onto a highway with a vehicle whose 0-60 time is best measured with a calendar.

I think I like the Dakota idea.

On the S-10 I agree - it would have to be a 4.3 or nothing.

I will say the Colorado is at least peppy, still would never want to own one though.

What about a late model Cherokee? Manual 5.9 Dakota, or even a current gen Frontier? What would your hypothetical budget be?

I think a 5k budget would be about right, and I'd lean toward lower miles vs. features.

Magnum would be very nice. What are they going for?

Ideally, I'd like to finish the Mothertruck and unload the Tahoe. Then I could just snag an interesting RWD car as a daily unless the weather is bad. A few days per year of driving the big beast won't kill me.

I have to have a 4WD, but I don't have to drive it every day.

If I put a plow on the Mothertruck, I could even unload the ROPOS. That would really make my day.

I like the Tahoe quite alot, but I have to shrink the fleet.

I fully vote Magnum, although if you are going to keep yourself to a $5k budget they're going to be tough to find for those prices.

You can also buy an AWD Magnum, which will go anywhere you want it to go, while still being and looking badass...

I like the Dakotas a lot, especially the last generation, so I would throw a vote towards one of those as well. I am just not impressed with the Colorado, and the Ranger is literally ancient and an afterthought for Ford anymore.

Skip trucks all together on this one and get a Panther....cozy, power, good on gas....

Trucks tend to be a PITA in city driving anyways....

There wouldn't be very much actual city driving (although I've done that with big trucks for years anyway). There would be quite a bit of bumper-to-bumper highway drivng though.

I'm not big on Panthers, but a Marauder might change my mind.

There wouldn't be very much actual city driving (although I've done that with big trucks for years anyway). There would be quite a bit of bumper-to-bumper highway drivng though.

I'm not big on Panthers, but a Marauder might change my mind.

Slower than an Accord V6 of the same year.

I fully vote Magnum, although if you are going to keep yourself to a $5k budget they're going to be tough to find for those prices.

You can also buy an AWD Magnum, which will go anywhere you want it to go, while still being and looking badass...

I like the Dakotas a lot, especially the last generation, so I would throw a vote towards one of those as well. I am just not impressed with the Colorado, and the Ranger is literally ancient and an afterthought for Ford anymore.

Right now, I'd say that a Dakota is the leading candidate. It wouldn't be the last generation though - I find them hideous. The previous gen is a good-looking truck, and a standard cab 4x4 with a six and a stick is just about right for the job.

I looked at some listings for Magnums and pricing is all over the place. Most of them seem to be modded in very tacky ways. Any example I would want probably will exceed what I'd want to spend this go-round.

But infinitely more interesting.

FWD cars are out of the question.

You are joking, right?

Nope, totally serious. The G3 is an efficient commuter appliance. And being a hatchback, it's practical to haul work materials and content (assuming you don't need a full size pickup hauling capability). And it's one of the last Pontiacs, hence the collectibility..and it's full of Excitement!!.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Have we met? :blink:

Commuter appliances don't appear on my radar. The G3 is no more a Pontiac than the TC was a Maserati.

Now a Solstice coupe would be another story, that's a collectible I'd be happy to drive.

G3 would work as a winter commuter though, the Solstice wouldn't..

I can believe that. The Marauder was not THAT much quicker than the stock Grand Marquis... and the Grand Marquis I drove as a retail was a complete dog, IMHO.

There is no comparison between B-bods and Panthers, in performance or space/layout. Only positive is that you an still get virtually new Panthers... but I would still always take a 15 year old B-bod first.

G3 would work as a winter commuter though, the Solstice wouldn't..

Anyone who can't drive a Solstice in the snow should have their license revoked immediately. The roads will be considerable safer with only a few thousand eligible drivers.

My thoughts-Astro cargo van...still a great work truck, unbreakable, other than idler arms...they never need much.

How about a V6 Mustang or Firebird....?

Mustang would be easier to repair....parts are cheaper...RWD....very affordable in the 1999-2004 body style...you can find them...pretty much everywhere....

I think we have some pretty good candidates here at this point.

Even the Ranger (though I've never cared for them).

But an early 2000s Dakota is the choice to beat right now. I've found a bunch of them within budget range.

There are lots of variables to consider, and some parameters not yet known, so anything could happen.

Well, almost.

I think we can safely scratch the G3 from the list of nominees. :smilewide:

Tie two G-3's together, have the first four wheel drive eight wheeled G6 (G3 plus G3 = G6)...it would be a one of one eight cylinder Pontiac...

Just think of how successful This was...and we know Cubical loves F1...just think of how jealous he will be...

Tyrrell_P34_2008_Silverstone_Classic.jpg

...and you can have two stereo's...one for you and one for Arkus...

What's to loose? You could even build a one of one G6 Sport struck to go with your coming G8 Sport truck...

Thinking car = 4 wheels is just too far inside the box...

Edited by 66Stang

Tie two G-3's together, have the first four wheel drive eight wheeled G6 (G3 plus G3 = G6)...it would be a one of one eight cylinder Pontiac...

Thinking car = 4 wheels is just too far inside the box...

Don't know...an eight wheeled 'G6' might just have too much Excitement!!

Right now, I'd say that a Dakota is the leading candidate. It wouldn't be the last generation though - I find them hideous. The previous gen is a good-looking truck, and a standard cab 4x4 with a six and a stick is just about right for the job.

I looked at some listings for Magnums and pricing is all over the place. Most of them seem to be modded in very tacky ways. Any example I would want probably will exceed what I'd want to spend this go-round.

Yeah the problem with Magnums is they tend to get modded in tacky ways, but if you can find clean ones, they're nice cars.

And I meant the last style Dakota, the same one you mean, the 1997-2004 version.

You are right though, they were good trucks, I have a friend who put 225k miles on his 98 before it was clipped on the highway by a trucker driving 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. They didn't get the world's best crash test ratings, but the thing saved his life. The truck was destroyed, he walked away with some scratches.

Actually that's not a bad idea. Camino's kind of low on space in the barn. A truck that folds up along its midsection could be the perfect solution for him.

• Agree 2