NYPD Chargers hitting the streets

mustang84

Will be interesting to see how they hold up. From what I understand, previously Police package Intrepids were a cheaper but less desired option, with the Impala in the middle, and the Crown Vic being a more durable but expensive choice, and other cars being more specialized. I could be wrong...

How does the Charger compare in cost to the Impala & Crown Vic? I haven't really familiarized myself with them...

Those wheels need to go, unless Big Boi becomes a cop. Agreed with NeonLX.

Many departments are eschewing their Crown Vics for Impalas and with good reason - V6 Impalas are much cheaper to operate and more sensible for the vast majority of duties. You don't need a V8 to sit by a control box manually controlling the traffic signals.

Agreed wiht Fly & Neon, dog dish/center caps would look more appropriate.

Kind of sad to see this after years of Caprice Classic loyalty from NYPD. :(

WOW! That DOES look good.

Dangumit Chevrolet ... let's get with the dang program. PLEASE!

I may have to buy me one of those Chargers yet ... well, not the cop version, but ... yeah....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I'd try to run, but I don't think I can" ... Waylon Jennings ... 'Ain't Living Long Like This'

Wish I could get a retail version like that. It would look great in gunmetal gray.

As a Mopar fan, I'm basically underwhelmed by the Charger (along with the Magnum & 300). Its performance is mighty good and the interior is comfortable, but I just can't get past the styling. I'm sorry but the Daytona model is almost painful to look at. But if I could get a plain Jane model with the steel wheels and little bitty hubcaps--AND the Hemi plus a good suspension, I could learn to live with the styling :)

I'm dreaming of a "Plymouth Fury I" version of the Charger or 300 I guess.

Posted Image

Edited by NeonLX

Wish I could get a retail version like that.  It would look great in gunmetal gray.

As a Mopar fan, I'm basically underwhelmed by the Charger (along with the Magnum & 300). Its performance is mighty good and the interior is comfortable, but I just can't get past the styling.  I'm sorry but the Daytona model is almost painful to look at.  But if I could get a plain Jane model with the steel wheels and little bitty hubcaps--AND the Hemi plus a good suspension, I could learn to live with the styling :)

I'm dreaming of a "Plymouth Fury I" version of the Charger or 300 I guess.

I saw one of the police package Chargers up close at the Denver Auto Show last week..they look good in that form. The styling of the Charger has taken some getting used to, but IMHO, it's infinitely better than the oh-so-bland boxy '80s Diplomat/Fury (Chrysler's last RWD police cars).

Edited by moltar

Didi a little research...the vehicle pictured is NOT a police vehicle, but rather a standard Charger outfitted with all of the NYC Police gear for photo ops....delivery of the actual vehicles will be in short order, but the exact specs for the police duty vehicles will be slightly different (although I'm not sure what changes that may entail.)

The full scale bids for a large fleet of these takes place next year.

• 3 weeks later...