Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Hyundai i40: VW Passat and Ford Mondeo Rival Teased Ahead of Geneva Debut

11 posts in this topic

New Hyundai i40: VW Passat and Ford Mondeo Rival Teased Ahead of Geneva Debut

MONDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2010

Hyundai-i40-01.jpg

These are the first teaser renderings of Hyundai's new competitor in the European market D-segment, the i40 that will take on the likes of the VW Passat, Ford Mondeo, Renault Laguna and Toyota Avensis from next year. It is based on a modified version of the North American Sonata's platform and aside from the estate model seen here, it will also be offered in a four-door sedan version, which will enter the market later towards the end of 2011.

Designed and developed by Hyundai’s German R&D centre in Russelsheim with European buyers in mind, the station wagon's exterior styling is heavily influenced by the South Korean automaker's Genus Concept model from 2006 (scroll down for photos).

Hyundai's mid-sizer will be available in Europe with the same range of petrol and diesel engines as its sister model, the new [EU-spec] Kia Optima.

At launch, the palette of engines will include a 2.0-liter four-cylinder petrol with direct injection and an output of 170-horsepower, and two variants of the firm's 1.7-liter turbo-diesel with 115 HP and 136 HP. The South Korean firm will further enhance the i40's engine range with a more powerful diesel unit starting from 2012.

The new i40 in estate form will make its world premiere at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show in March and go on sale across Europe before summer of the same year.

Source: Hyundai , Via: Hyundai-blog

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-hyundai-i40-cw-vw-passat-and-ford.html

US Sonata with a different front clip, or is it the Elantra? Either way it actually looks nice!

Geneva Preview: Hyundai i40/Sonata wagon gets officially rendered

by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Dec 13th 2010 at 6:27PM

web630-hyundai-i40-6.jpg

Hyundai is preparing to launch a new European D-segment model at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show in March that will compete against such vehicles as the Ford Mondeo and Volkswagen Passat, and it's released a slew of advance renderings of what we might expect.

Filling the slot in the Korean automaker's European line-up that's filled in North America by the Sonata (with which it is a very close twin), the i40 has been designed and developed in Germany by the company's European R&D center in Rüsselsheim. The design closely follows those of recent Hyundai design studies, the Genus concept most closely.

The i40 is slated to go on sale shortly after its debut in Geneva in wagon form, with a sedan version expected to follow. The engine range is expected to include a 2.0-liter, direct-injection four-cylinder producing 170 horsepower and a 1.7-liter turbodiesel with outputs ranging from 115 horsepower to 136, with more powerful versions to follow. In the meantime, take a stroll through the image gallery below for a closer look, as the i40 is almost certainly what a Sonata wagon would look like were Hyundai ever to launch it in the States.

LINK:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/13/geneva-preview-hyundai-sonata-i40-wagon-gets-officially-rendere/

US Sonata with a different front clip, or is it the Elantra? Either way it actually looks nice!

makes you wonder if a sonata MCE here will have this new front and fenders. nice.

the side glass looks a bit SRXish here.....

I would be all over a cheap sonata or Optima wagon actually if it looked like this.

Much better front end than either the regular Sonata or the hybrid version. The entire car looks better balanced and more cohesive than the Sonata.