2009 Impala

In a release to the media today, Ford explained how the Ford 427 Concept paved the way for the new three-bar grille design that’s starting to appear on many Ford products. The Ford Fusion undoubtedly borrows from the 427, but the end product looks nothing like the concept. Tim Boyd, director of business development for Ford Global Design explained the role of the 427. “It was a creative process that generated the whole three-bar grill design element. It helped make the Fusion such a success that we’re rolling it out on many vehicles throughout the Ford lineup in North America,” he said. The Leftlane Perspective: But is this all Ford plans to do with the 427 concept? If so, then Ford fans will surely be disappointed. The Fusion may be a step forward in terms of design, but the 427 would have been a leap. If Ford wants to effectively challenge vehicles like the Chrysler 300C and the 2009 Chevy Impala, it’s going to have to get more aggressive with the design of the whole car, not just the grille. There’s no question the Fusion is selling well, but we tend to thing the 427 would have sold even better. See a comparison of the 427 and the Fusion after the jump…

this may be nothing but i have to ask, i found this on leftnanenews and it raised an eyebrow

my first question is has the media seen previews of the impala? and my second is, is the design of this forthcoming Impala really supposed to be good enough to become a market benchmark?

Guest YellowJacket894

The Camaro is SUCH a huge hit....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, that statement really made me think of "Automobile" Magazine's design review of the new Camaro design, and it sounded less than positive. Which, that in turn, reminds me of how they ragged on the Buick Enclave design.

I don't think it's needed for me to say that both designs are amazing and will aid on putting GM back on track.

I remember reading here that we might see an Impala concept at the 2007 NAIAS and something tells me that the press will put that car down, too.

But, then again, the review that '99-SS posted in the starting post sounded positive, so let's hope that the press finally gives credit where credit is due.

O It is shocking that a Car like that to come into play in modern times. Its more than Beautiful. Its well breath taking.

To let marbles roll a little, There is 3 current designs that could come out, and the one on the main spot light .....................

I hope its breath taking in a good way. I thought the 2000 Impala was breaktaking, but surely not in a good way. I hope they don't go too retro, but all of this has been done beforel. In the early to mid 70's lots of cars were trying to catch some design elements from the 30s and some fine looking Grand Prixs came out of that.

I think the Impala would look best emulating the 2003 SS concept car in style, more or less a productionized version of it, but with variety, split-bench or bucket front seats (bucket only for SS, of course), 6 taillights (round or not does not matter), regular V-8 option on volume models (if not standard), and 20 cubic feet minimum for cargo space. How about a 5-door station wagon body style too? Capable of seating up to 9 passengers? And even though I like the styling, its really time to get away from the 1995-96 Caprice in terms of the rear quarter window.

:AH-HA_wink: while watching Autoline Detroit - during a Rag on GM session that is oh so rare for the Automotive press...( let's face it - if Toyota put a badge on an Amish Buggy - it would win Truck of the Year!) Any rate - they were talking about the back rooms of GM and the cars waiting in the wings - and they each raved about the Impala coming out - and asked Why it was not out already - " As they would be able to sell every one that they could build!" I wish I could recall who was on that panel.

An engineer I met from GM raved about the car...I personally cannot wait to see it...BUT I WANT IT NOW!!! :hissyfit:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

:AH-HA_wink: while watching Autoline Detroit - during a Rag on GM session that is oh so rare for the Automotive press...( let's face it - if Toyota put a badge on an Amish Buggy - it would win Truck of the Year!) Any rate - they were talking about the back rooms of GM and the cars waiting in the wings - and they each raved about the Impala coming out - and asked Why it was not out already - " As they would be able to sell every one that they could build!"  I wish I could recall who was on  that panel.

An engineer I met from GM raved about the car...I personally cannot wait to see it...BUT I WANT IT NOW!!! :hissyfit:

I think your thinking of an episode about 6 months ago that aired just after GM gave journailsts a sneak peak at their future models but it was the NG Malibu that John Mckelroy was raving about not the Impala when he said they could sell everyone they could build. Or maybe there was another episode I missed. Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

2009 couldn't come fast enough. Although waht is scarry is that Sofia will be 5 years old by then. :blink: Time flies when you're awaiting a musclecar legend.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Carol: Look at him, Elaine. How gorgeous is he? I ask you, how gorgeous?

Elaine: (Looking at Ben) Pretty gorgeous.

Ben: Elaine, you have children?

Elaine: Me? Oh no, but I'd love to have a baby, I mean, I can't wait to have a baby. I'm just dyin' to have a baby.

Ben: A beautiful woman like you should. You're quite breathtaking.

Elaine: Breathtaking? I'm breathtaking?

Carol: And he's very particular. Ben, you're staying tonight, right?

Ben: Sure. (Elaine celebrates to herself as Jerry enters and quickly looks away from the baby)

Elaine: Me? Oh no, but I'd love to have a baby, I mean, I can't wait to have a baby. I'm just dyin' to have a baby.

Ben: Sure. (Elaine celebrates to herself as Jerry enters and quickly looks away from the baby)

Where did THIS come from?

So...you've seen the car already (or sketches, I would guess), Caprice?

Tell me where. 8)

Lets say I know someone from design North. I seen a scketch of the Camaro back in september when you guys where still hoping that GM brings it back :AH-HA_wink: .

But as for the Impala I respect what this person said to me about privacy. and I have seen and well have a skecth of it its really a good car to me. I also havew more info on it but over the year i will leak little by little out.

Carol: How gorgeous is he Ben? How gorgeous?

Ben: Yes he really is breathtaking.

Elaine looks shocked.

Jerry: Oh man George, these eggs are delicious! Where did you learn to make eggs like these?

Ben: Yes George, these eggs really are breathtaking.

You know, that statement really made me think of "Automobile" Magazine's design review of the new Camaro design, and it sounded less than positive. Which, that in turn, reminds me of how they ragged on the Buick Enclave design.

I don't think it's needed for me to say that both designs are amazing and will aid on putting GM back on track.

I remember reading here that we might see an Impala concept at the 2007 NAIAS and something tells me that the press will put that car down, too.

But, then again, the review that '99-SS posted in the starting post sounded positive, so let's hope that the press finally gives credit where credit is due.

Automobile Magazine NEVER has anything good to say about American cars, GM's in particular. They could built the best selling car ever and they'd rip it apart piece by peice. The only exceptions that come to mind are the new Z06 and minivas,(except of course for the GM minivans, which as we all know are automatically crap once they roll off the line, just because they're GMs.)

minivas,(except of course for the GM minivans, which as we all know are automatically crap once they roll off the line, just because they're GMs.)

Actually, its because the minivans are crap altogether-with lousy upholstery (fake synthetic cloth and vinyl? In 2006? You're joking, right?), dated, undifferentiated body styles that never were all that great anyway, inferior passenger and cargo room, cheap-looking base models, overpriced, inferior standard/optional equipment listings (kudos however for the 3900 V-6 becoming standard on all 2007 models however). The only good things I really have to say for the vans are a nice color selection, Chevy and Saturn's aluminum wheels, and the interesting Kodiak-inspired Uplander grille-that's it. When compared to Odyssey, Sienna, or even Caravan/Town & Country (still by far the best domestic-name minivan except those lousy SWB models), the GM and Ford vans are all big, big losers.

So, apparently, now we know --- the '06 Impala will have a 3 year run, until the '09 comes out...

I can't wait to see some sketches or blurry pics, or something....

Too bad Lutz wasn't in the Chevy design center, lifting the blue curtain on the new Impala, instead of the '08 CTS, on "60 Minutes" last night...

Please GM, make this new one the car that officially brings GM back --

lots of chrome (or at least SOME);

egg-crate grille;

curves in all the right places;

3 taillights per side;

plenty of room for 6 passengers;

the best interior ever for an Impala (styling cues from the 61/62, or 68 instrument panels);

top of the line to sell for no more than 32.5K, mid-level for 25K, base for 19.5K.

BRING IT ON!!

I would buy a Chevrolet Uplander any day over the Chrysler products. Want to know why? Lets see, the transmission will last longer than 50,000 miles,the A/C has a better chance of making it past 50,000 miles, should I keep going?