Bottom Gear

balthazar

Caught part of a promo for the U.S. Top Gear latest episode- looks to up The Bar on Staggeringly Stupid.

I saw a Roadmaster wagon filled with water, driving & dripping, and a Fiero intentionally rear-ending a circa '70 Cutlass.

I struggle to imagine how they're going to top undercut this feat.

Much like the Hasselhoff show- this train wreck should've been stopped after 1 episode.

It isn't unbearably terrible, but it just isn't Top Gear.

The difference between the Colonized Top Gear and the non-Colonized version is that all three presenters of the original show are journalists. That's what is lacking with the History version: substantial journalism.

Foust, Ferrara, and Wood are not journalists, bottom line.

If the show was hosted by, say, John Phillips, Daniel Pund, and Mike Delorenzo, it would be worth the watch and completely on par with the original.

I thought the 4th episode was very good. The Raptor segment was excellent and IMO better than the original TGUK challenge. The SLS review was pretty good. The only weak part was the paintball segment. The show really needs to be 90 minutes longs o it can be a full hour.

As for the hosts, give them time. TGUK was pretty lousy its first few seasons. It's miles better than TGAU.

I've been following it, and the growing chemistry has been more than apparent in every new episode. Each episode has been better than the last, in my opinion. I think it will grow into a very good show. I feel people are far too quick to dismiss it because it isn't the "OG".

• Agree 1

Caught part of a promo for the U.S. Top Gear latest episode- looks to up The Bar on Staggeringly Stupid.

I saw a Roadmaster wagon filled with water, driving & dripping, and a Fiero intentionally rear-ending a circa '70 Cutlass.

I struggle to imagine how they're going to top undercut this feat.

Much like the Hasselhoff show- this train wreck should've been stopped after 1 episode.

Saw that promo - instant turnoff.

When the first thing you think is "What assholes!", that doesn't bode well for the show.

:soapbox:

I just feel it's a waste of time.

Top Gear is an excellent opportunity to inform people about cars and possibly *gasp* inspire more interest in cars from the common 'yank'

Instead of seizing that opportunity, the show basically shows us what a bunch of frat boys would do if they had a budget and a really nice flip camera. I don't give a $h! about $1000 cars. I've driven enough of them to KNOW how good they are. What I do care about is performance cars, technology and history (hence the channel)

I mean, one 'thousand dollar car segment' would've been okay. But this next show will be basically the third version of the same 'ol story. "Lets buy some crappy cars and eff 'em up real good."

The hosts SUCK... It's BLATANTLY obvious that they know little, if anything, about the industry, history or the people involved with the industry.

They would've been better off just picking three random car enthusiasts. Faust is a typical import humper (though I will say, that dude can drive like a mofo) The fat kid from the south just annoys me by reinforcing every bad effeminate stereotype about southerners. And the other dude; supposedly a comedian by trade, is neither funny nor appealing.

/:soapbox:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The hosts SUCK... It's BLATANTLY obvious that they know little, if anything, about the industry, history or the people involved with the industry.

They would've been better off just picking three random car enthusiasts. Faust is a typical import humper (though I will say, that dude can drive like a mofo) The fat kid from the south just annoys me by reinforcing every bad effeminate stereotype about southerners. And the other dude; supposedly a comedian by trade, is neither funny nor appealing.

I would tend to agree, except for Foust. He certainly earns the spot... and any host is going to have preferences. Obviously, TG UK has their share of them.

The fat kid from the south just annoys me by reinforcing every bad effeminate stereotype about southerners. And the other dude; supposedly a comedian by trade, is neither funny nor appealing.

At least he doesn't have an exaggerated southern accent..I'd never know he was from the South if he didn't mention it..for some reason, he reminds me of many web developers I've worked with as far as the personality and appearance.

At least he doesn't have an exaggerated southern accent..I'd never know he was from the South if he didn't mention it..for some reason, he reminds me of many web developers I've worked with as far as the personality and appearance.

Funny I was thinking the same thing...

I guess everyone knows a web developer who looks like that.

It really irks me how people seem to be referring tot o Wood as "fat" or "fatty". First of all, that's not fat. If you want to get retinal damage, I'll post some fat. Second, who gives a $h! that he isn't a twig, therefore feel the need to call him fat every time you refer to him?

I like him, he's very down to earth and a genuine car guy.

I don't know if any of you haters caught tonight's episode, but it was a good one. Easily the best episode so far with some moments that had me "lmao", and it paid a good homage to GM.

Not on until 11pm here tonight..will watch it tomorrow evening..

If I remember correctly, Rutledge (the 'fat' guy) came to be an on-air personality after winning a SPEED Channel contest for NASCAR. I think his prize was to be one of the weekly race personalities at each circuit. After that, he kind of stuck around, but I didn't think he was going to last the season. As for his knowledge of cars, I have no clue. I think it was merely his personality that someone figured earned him a spot for Top Gear US.

I've seen some shows on SPEED which highlighted Foust and his abilities with drifting cars and high performance reviews. He definitely is a reasonable expert when it comes to a car's ability... but when it comes to industry hub-bub, well, what does one really need to know to convey to people whom really don't care anyway?

I don't know anything about Ferrara, but I've seen some of his stand-up acts. It doesn't take just a personality to make a show like Top Gear funny; rather, it takes a situation that is given to different personalities to make the show funny.

I don't know if any of you haters caught tonight's episode, but it was a good one. Easily the best episode so far with some moments that had me "lmao", and it paid a good homage to GM.

I disagree...

Not only did they destroy great future classics, they whined and bitched and told everyone about 'the horrors' of each of the cars.

Had they made the Fierro out to be as innovative as it was, or the Cutlass line out to be the classic success that it was or the Roadmaster B-Body the indestructible tank that it is. I wouldn't take issue.

Maybe because I'm not looking at life via "the glass is half empty" philosophy, but I clearly remember them liking each of the cars they bought, Adam clearly stating how great that Cutlass was, though mentioning how (truthfully) by the end of its life it was a shadow of its former self. Tanner liked his Fiero very much, and Wood loved his Roadmaster.

Frankly, my only complaint with this and other challenges is the need for a moral at the end of the story. It borderlines being corny and isn't necessary. However, they more than made up for it by showing those awesome Roadmaster concept sketches.

Pretty sure the Roadmaster was made out to be an indestructible tank.

It's not quite as bad as the promo makes out... That said I am warming to Rutledge, he seems to be a decent sort of car guy and as someone who has a secret soft spot for the Roadmaster Estate (which has a place among my illustrious "must own" list), I enjoyed the way it was portrayed. Destroying that Cutlass was just cruel though.

I didn't watch the show, so all I have to go on is the promo that I did see.

I have to ask, why the wanton destruction?

That's the bit that turned me off.

That Cutlass looked pretty clean...

I can't go by the show either, but clearly, in the promo... that Fiero hitting the Cutlass wasn't planned. The two were nowhere near each other at the start of the bit and only by sheer luck did it find its way over to the Cutlass.

The cars were not exactly in great shape, either. The distracting paint-job and after-market wheels on the Cutlass made it appear cleaner than it was. Closeup shots revealed that it was quite the beater...especially the interior, which was trashed. It didn't even have a headliner. I'd be incredibly surprised if the producers paid any more than a few grand for each car.

I can't go by the show either, but clearly, in the promo... that Fiero hitting the Cutlass wasn't planned. The two were nowhere near each other at the start of the bit and only by sheer luck did it find its way over to the Cutlass.

It was the shot of them filling it with water that got me.

WTF is that all about? :facepalm:

That's a repeat of a challenge they did on the UK show w/ a Rover SD1 a few seasons ago..

There's nothing new really about this show, just repeating the format of the UK show...a few times a season, they have an episode where the boys buy 3 cheap older cars/trucks/etc and then participate in a series of 'challenges' (often 'torture tests') and sometimes hilarity ensues, sometimes it's just plain dumb. The cars are usually high mileage w/ varying degrees of broken-down wornoutness (shiny from 20 feet away)...they often break down a lot during an episode..

They were testing the build quality by seeing which could retain water for the longest time. With the exception of the Fiero which wouldn't start, the other two didn't do too bad. They filled the roadmaster with water (apparently totaling over 7000 pounds) and it still ran, and even turned a lap at the Eaton proving grounds (while filled with water, mind you).

Filling the cars with water was to check the durability of the car. The Roadmaster not only drove fine with almost 7,000 lbs of water in it. They all piled into it and drive it back to Detroit after all the abuse they gave to the car.

Wood also commented while opining about the Roadmaster that GM could make a Caprice version, an Impala SS version and an El Camino version out of the same chassis if they were to bring it back.

The promos didn't do this episode justice.

You know something? The cinematography made the '71 Supreme look better than it actually was. The interior was in very poor shape (worse than my Supreme when I first bought it) and I guarantee it was filled with rust. Could it have been restored? Well, yeah. If you had the money and lots of it. Did it deserve a resto? Depends on just how bad things were under its mint green paint and like I said, I guarantee it had rust.

No, instead of nauseating me, it actually made me proud of my own Cutlass. The fact that Ferrara's worn-out Cutlass had driven a lap around a test track filled to the windshield with water was something of a testament to how well the Olds was designed and built and how durable and powerful the Rocket 350 was after all of the years that had passed since the car was new.

That Cutlass was a martyr, in my opinion. If any moron doubted the reasoning behind being a vintage American iron fan, well, they have a lot less to doubt now thanks to that '71 Cutlass with a terrible set of 20 inch rims.

If I didn't feel the need to break out a box of tissues over that Cutlass, neither should anyone else here.

I also liked a lot of what Ferrara had to say about the Cutty when he introduced it and was defending it.

The show is gaining traction now, I will give it that. The awkwardness of the first few episodes isn't there as much any more and the hosts are developing something of a dynamic amongst themselves. There still isn't much more journalistic substance, but perhaps that will improve as well as the show goes on (the F-150 Raptor segment was a step in the right direction). As much as I liked what Ferrara had to say about the Cutlass Supreme, it annoyed me to no end that he introduced a '77 El Camino he bought in a segment on the previous episode as an "'77 El Camino SS" (a little fact checking please?).