mustang84

Ford Fusion Hits Its Mark

57 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

Ford Fusion Hits Its Mark

By Ford FCN. Collins, Michael

Published: April 1, 2006

Print    Email

(DEARBORN, MI) Six months after its introduction, Ford Fusion customers are saying the new mid-size sedan is delivering on its promise of bold styling, great driving dynamics and a great price.

"We're hitting on all the key points," said Dan Geist, Fusion marketing manager. "We are now selling to consumers that have not traditionally looked at Ford for cars."

According to Ford research, not only have Fusion retail sales continued to grow by 15 percent every month, 78 percent of buyers say they would definitely recommend the Fusion to a friend.

"Every month is better then the last," said Bert Boeckmann, whose Galpin Motors in Van Nuys, Calif., is the largest Ford dealership in the world. "I have yet to have a customer who doesn't absolutely love that car after they buy it."

According to the Power Information Network (PIN), a retail sales database from J.D. Power and Associates, the so-called conquest rate or customers who have moved from other brands to the Fusion has hit 37 percent.

The entire blitz has been responsible for close to half of all Ford dealership traffic since last November, according to CNW Marketing Research, a consulting firm in Bandon, Ore., that tracks auto industry trends.

"Seventy percent of that traffic was considering an import and whether they bought a Fusion or not, they walked out with a better impression of all Ford products," said CNW's president, Art Spinella. "The Fusion has been quite good at getting import intenders to take a look at the vehicle."

The PIN research also says the campaign has struck a chord with a younger consumer. A Fusion customer's average age is 46 and trending downward.

A national poll of perspective car buyers taken in February asked 25-to-39-year-olds if they were likely to visit a showroom and shop for a Fusion. Thirty-five percent said "yes," a jump of 16 points since last November, according to Marketing Revolution a media research firm in New York.

The other good news for Ford is that the Fusion is making gains in the areas where imports traditionally dominate. In a state where 70 percent of all new car registrations have foreign nameplates, California is now the second-largest region for Fusion sales.

http://www.fusionunleashed.com/index.php?c...p2_articleid=88

Satty    338

Stupid media always trying to kill Ford and GM and stupid Americans not buying domestics....Oh, wait.......

Croc    268

Heh...Didn't I say the Fusion will do to Ford what the 1986 Taurus did?* Not surprised...these are great cars. I just hope Ford can recreate the Fusion experience in the 500 refresh and in all soon-to-be-released vehicles.

*Obviously on a smaller unit scale

Imaj    0

This is really good news. I hope Ford continue updating and improving the Fusion unlike what they did to the Taurus and are doing to the American Focus!

balthazar    1,882

Stupid media always trying to kill Ford and GM and stupid Americans not buying domestics....Oh, wait.......

One example disproves hundreds, maybe thousands of others???

frogger    106

No doubt, just like all the articles crucifying the GMT-900 SUV's and the Solstice. Its almost like there is a pattern.

caddycruiser    50

They hit everything dead on with the Fusion, for sure. The Milan and Zephyr have the same good points, but still come off as a bit too badge engineered. Then again, it's such a nice package, having 3 slightly different styling variations with their own features might not be that bad of a thing.

I've sure seen a lot of them out and about, particularly when I was home over spring break.

We can only hope the Aura, the next Malibu, and the G6 are even remotely as well-rounded and impressive, because right now the latter two stink.

pow    106

No doubt, just like all the articles crucifying the GMT-900 SUV's and the Solstice.  Its almost like there is a pattern.

Like, you mean, good products get good reviews? :blink:

4gm    0

Most of the Fusions I see out here in Los Angles appear to be retail purchases. They don't have rental plates on them, unlike a lot of the Malibus and G6's I spot.

Croc    268

Most of the Fusions I see out here in Los Angles appear to be retail purchases.  They don't have rental plates on them, unlike a lot of the Malibus and G6's I spot.

I've been seeing Fusions and Milans in LA too. Haven't seen a Zephyr/MKZ yet, though...

usa1    0

Don't worry, the Fusion got a bad review here - relative to the competition that is. 4th place out of 4.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=109710

Someday... someday... Ford or GM will make a car that will get first place in a comparison test and stay there for several years. Honda and Toyota can do it. Why can't Ford and GM?

The Fusion looks great on the outside. No doubt about it. However, the interior is a huge disappointment to me. The cheap looking center stack (looks OK in a truck, looks cheap in a car), the fuzzy headline from the 1990's, the bland monochromatic interior that looks likes it's from the 1980's, the steering wheel that looks more at home in a Town Car, etc.

Mark

Croc    268

With interior color combos and other things you can spruce it up pretty well. FYI very few makes have the non-fuzzy headliners. Only select Acura and AUDIs had woven headliners at LAIAS. I don't think the Fusion is behind the competition in any way except for lacking nav and a few other features.

VenSeattle    8

Well, all of Buick's sedans have woven headliners, but I agree... Ford's new interiors can be decked out to be much more interesting than several competitors.

As for that horribly unbalanced Edmunds comparison, The Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ is less expensive ($29k) than the $31k Toyota Camry with a more luxurious, higher quality, uniquely styled interior… not to mention striking exterior with LED tail lamps, HID headlights, longer warranty, and free scheduled maintenance. Even when the Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ is fully loaded, the disparity in price is far less than the loaded Fusion/Camry in Edmunds' comparison.

Sorry, but Ford’s triplets have the Camry covered and beat IMO.

ponchoman49    23

Well, all of Buick's sedans have woven headliners, but I agree... Ford's new interiors can be decked out to be much more interesting than several competitors.

As for that horribly unbalanced Edmunds comparison, The Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ is less expensive ($29k) than the $31k Toyota Camry with a more luxurious, higher quality, uniquely styled interior… not to mention striking exterior with LED tail lamps, HID headlights, longer warranty, and free scheduled maintenance. Even when the Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ is fully loaded, the disparity in price is far less than the loaded Fusion/Camry in Edmunds' comparison.

Agreed! I would pick any of the other 3 cars over the bland/ugly 07 Camry any day of the week. I have driven all 4 cars and for my money I agree with the second opinion side of Edmunds and say that the Fusion and Sonata are far better values that the Accord or Camry. The Camry is overpriced in all but base form, still doesn't match it's competitors in handling prowess, in LE and XLE guise anyways, has the smallest trunk and interior of the bunch in certain dimensions, the least powerfull base engine which most customers will buy in the 2.4 CE and LE models, inferior styling, no bodyside protection, something that all of it's competiotrs still have and a very appliance like personality. Even it's interior dissapoints with too many panal gaps that vary from one car to the next and a bland looking instrument cluster with no spice. Yes it does have 50 gazillion airbags, navigation(which is silly when you can for free go to mapquest.com and get directions anywhere you want to go)and the latest and greatest bluetooth which is a very recent technology that most other mid size sedans don't have yet. But all this fancy stuff costs a lot of money and it's utterly rediculous that a bland mid sized sedan needs to be nearly 31K. Heck for that kind of money i could get a V8 Lucerne CXL with some options!

bowtie_dude    0

The Fusion is a fantastic car. After sitting in one at Paul Miller Ford, I am thoroughly impressed. Leagues better than any current GM midsize in every measurable aspect. Edmunds can piss up a tree, because there's nothing drab about the Fusion interior. The SE I sat in with the camel and tan two-tone and carbon-fiber interior trim was fantastic and the upper AND lower dash material was spongey and well textured.

Kudos Ford! You've won my future car purchase!

Paolino    99

I tell you, I saw a blue SE V6 today... it looks really sweet on the road. Now if they could tweak the center stack, I would say I'd buy one in a second.

sciguy_0504    0

1) Lincoln prices the MKZ that low because if it was any higher it would not sell.

2) Ford needs three cars in order to compete with one.

3) One of Ford's three cars does not compete with the one in question. It would go up against the ES350.

They say a lot, IMO.

VenSeattle    8

1) Lincoln prices the MKZ that low because if it was any higher it would not sell.

2) Ford needs three cars in order to compete with one.

3) One of Ford's three cars does not compete with the one in question.  It would go up against the ES350.

They say a lot, IMO.

The Camry does compete with the Zephyr since it can be priced into the $30k+ range. If Toyota expects it to be worth the price, then Camry has to be competitive to the similar priced competition. Toyota doesn't get a break where domestics get slammed for this. NO ONE cuts the Lucerne any slack for having a $26k base price. It's judged on its fully loaded price of $35k+ and with the market surrounding that price.

Ford isn't selling the Zephyr at a loss so #1 isn't really an issue, the other two siblings help Ford keep the prices down. That's smart engineering, not desperation. The ES350 will easily break $40k when fully loaded, and that's even without AWD. One should really question Toyota's inflated/bloated MSRPs. No one can deny it; just compare the invoice to MSRPs. The Camry & ES are priced to make a heavy profit excluding exchange rates.

As for 2 & 3... If you're trying to view it that way, Toyota apparently uses two cars where Ford uses three then.

sciguy_0504    0

The Camry does compete with the Zephyr since it can be priced into the $30k+ range. If Toyota expects it to be worth the price, then Camry has to be competitive to the similar priced competition. Toyota doesn't get a break where domestics get slammed for this. NO ONE cuts the Lucerne any slack for having a $26k base price. It's judged on its fully loaded price of $35k+ and with the market surrounding that price.

Ford isn't selling the Zephyr at a loss so #1 isn't really an issue, the other two siblings help Ford keep the prices down. That's smart engineering, not desperation. The ES350 will easily break $40k when fully loaded, and that's even without AWD. One should really question Toyota's inflated/bloated MSRPs. No one can deny it; just compare the invoice to MSRPs. The Camry & ES are priced to make a heavy profit excluding exchange rates. 

As for 2 & 3...  If you're trying to view it that way, Toyota apparently uses two cars where Ford uses three then.

I guess a Chevrolet can compete with a Benz, right? It does not matter who makes it or what class it is, all it matters is price. :lol:

The Camry and ES are not priced too high. People will buy them at those prices. People will not buy the Fusion or Zephyr at the prices Camry's and ES's are selling for. Why? Price is an issue. If the Zephyr was priced any higher than it is now, people would not buy it because, in their minds, it costs too much.

Camry goes up against the Fusion, ES350 goes up against the Zephyr. The Milan is in the middle of the two, supposedly. If all of Ford's 3 midsize cars compete against the Camry, especially one from a luxury brand like Lincoln, there is a problem.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.